• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women's Hoops Ranking/Seed Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Tuned in for last 10 minutes of the 2nd half - didn't realize they were on TV and don't catch them often. Williams did her thing as usual it seems, but does the rest of the team suck that bad or was this a bad day? Some really sloppy play in the end, just not reminiscent of what I hear/read about this team, and does Williams always carry this team, or was this more of her going beast mode because of the need for a comeback? Tough loss, at least it's on the road. Just sucks they spent 3+ months kicking ass just to get a #25 ranking and now they'll likely be lucky to get a few receiving votes..

The rest of the team usually does better than this, it was a combo of worst case bad luck and a good showing by ECU on the defensive end, including rebounding. Williams is usually the team leader, now at a nation-leading 10 straight games of 20+ points per game. But she was certainly in beast mode the last 8 minutes or so. She absolutely did not want to lose and you can see it on her face. Can you imagine if she was capable of playing like that for all 40 minutes? Non-stop beast mode. She could quite possibly have a 50+ point game. She can score at will on most occasions. A lot of the time she's trying to involve her teammates. She essentially brought the team back from a 15 point deficit by herself.

Just a bit more about this.  Usually one of either Tamara Taylor or Laura Ferreira has a good shooting day from 3 point area.  Neither shot well from outside yesterday.  That is unusual.  As Bulls12 said, Courtney tries to get others involved.  Passes into Kate down low usually result in a turnover.  It is the rare occasion when the pass connects, Kate catches the ball and then makes the shot.  IMO in tough/close games those passes would be better left unattempted and let Court take the shot herself.

That's been my impression about Weber.

She seems very slow when it comes to attempting any offense, and her rebounding effort needs improvement.

Many times passes to her end up being turnovers. 

However she is rather imposing on D due to size.  And even more importantly, she isn't easy pushed around.  I've seem many centers rely solely on height/size but are so weak/easy pushed that they are completely ineffective.  She does help deflect many shot attempts.

She's a true sophomore and I've heard a bit that she's been sick and injured most of the season, including during preseason practices... so I wonder how much that has affected her playing.

I've been wondering what happened to Vuletic?  She's the team's senior center, and looking at her stats, she basically hasn't played at all (only a minute each in two games during the Paradise Jam tournament.)  Based on this year and her stats last year, did she just not pan out?

She's injured and out for the year.  Graduates this year and won't be back with the team next year.

Thanks for the info.

That sucks.. I imagine being a player it must be a downer to be out for your last year.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I love watching Weber. She's a real space-eater, but a little on the clumsy side. She's young and still hasn't caught up to her growth spurt yet. When she gets control of her body, she's going to be something special. She's got a nasty streak too, you can see it in her eyes. She can make you feel the pain.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

I love watching Weber. She's a real space-eater, but a little on the clumsy side. She's young and still hasn't caught up to her growth spurt yet. When she gets control of her body, she's going to be something special. She's got a nasty streak too, you can see it in her eyes. She can make you feel the pain.

That screen/clear out she set where she knocked the ECU player on her butt was great. Even though Weber got called for a foul you could tell she liked it and would do it again in a second.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

That screen/clear out she set where she knocked the ECU player on her butt was great. Even though Weber got called for a foul you could tell she liked it and would do it again in a second.

You can see it when she grabs a rebound and then is challenged by an opposing player

At times Weber looks like she's about to knock her out

As you mentioned.. once she gets better control.. she can/will be a force.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Like most giants, I expect she's got thyroid and joint issues. Hopefully she learns to play within her limitations and plays for many years. If the WNBA plays any defense at all, I think she's got a great shot if she learns from Jose and stays healthy.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,702
  • Days Won:  108

Any update on our ranking this week?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Looks like we're #29 .... FGCU at #22???

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,412
  • Days Won:  43

FGCU has had a heck of hoops program in women. They are also not too bad in mens. They call their mens hoops team Dunk City. They made the tourny not long ago and had a good run into it. USF needs to look no further than down south to see how they do it. Maybe one day, USF can have the success as Dunk City.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

FGCU has had a heck of hoops program in women. They are also not too bad in mens. They call their mens hoops team Dunk City. They made the tourny not long ago and had a good run into it. USF needs to look no further than down south to see how they do it. Maybe one day, USF can have the success as Dunk City.

It's also a lot easier to rack up wins in the A-Sun Conference.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

There aren't a ton of college basketball programs that USF has a better overall pedigree than but FGCU is one of them ... so I don't think we need to be looking down south for anything.