• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women's Hoops Ranking/Seed Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Let me get this straight...

We got a 6 seed.

We got the magic, Willy Wonka Golden Ticket 6-seed that lets us host games in our chocolate factory.

And now we're complaining we'll have to play UConn...eventually?

Let's enjoy this, boys and girls!! The stars are aligning, luck is on our side, we get 1, maybe 2 more chances to watch one of the best teams USF has ever put out there.

+1

Can't believe the selection party turned into a whine and jeez party so quickly.

Looking forward to LSU - they knocked us out of the CWS in softball a couple years back. Different sport, but payback's still as sweet.

Loserville's going to be a tough out, so I'm rooting for BYU here. I think we'll match up favorably against UK if we get to Albany.

Albany will be another home game for the Huskies, so we'll have to fight the crowd once again. I was hoping to see them for the 4th game in Tampa, but beating them in Albany will be just as sweet.

I like our chances to get back to Tampa for another game (or two!) to end the season.

Geaux Bulls!

Terrify the Tigers!!

Considering how some of the pundits knocked the conference, I think it did well:

3 teams going to NCAA: (#1) UConn,  (#25) USF and Tulane.

3 teams going to the WNIT: ECU, Tulsa and Temple.

Better'n than the men - only SMU and Cincy got in.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Considering how some of the pundits knocked the conference, I think it did well:

Yep. The conference got shafted on the Men's side.

Yep. The conference got shafted on the Men's side.

I predicted no more than two teams a couple months ago, but nobody believed me. Even so, pretty surprised both Tulsa and Temple got dissed. Both were top 50 RPI. Just shows how much work has yet to be done.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

CharlieCreme did a critique of the actual brackets:

Geography, RPI not clear-cut
Originally Published: March 16, 2015
By Charlie Creme

...RPI is just a guide

This has been written about countless times, yet a misconception still exists as it pertains to the relationship between RPI and seeding. The committee uses RPI as merely a guide to group and begin the comparison of teams. This bracket, more than ever, proves that there simply isn't a direct correlation between the two. The examples are many this year:

• George Washington: RPI 11, No. 6 seed
• Princeton: RPI 12, No. 8 seed
• Dayton: RPI 13, No. 7 seed
• FGCU: RPI 14, No. 7 seed
• Chattanooga: RPI 20, No. 7 seed
• Western Kentucky: RPI 27, No. 12 seed
• UALR: RPI 29, No. 11 seed

...Cats turn nine lives into a No. 2

Kentucky scheduled tough and clearly got rewarded for it. Nine losses did not seem to bother the committee. It was the strength of schedule that mattered more. The most losses for any No. 2 seed last year was six. The Wildcats were good against a difficult slate with wins over Baylor, Louisville and South Carolina, but they were also blown out by Duke and Texas A&M and lost to sub-100 Illinois and Ole Miss.

This isn't unheard of, but it's rare for a team with so many losses to be seeded so high. Tennessee was beaten nine times in 2012 and was a No. 2. The commonality? Schedule strength. The SOS of both was rated in the top five. The moral of the story seems to be schedule hard if you can, win a couple of big ones, and good seeding will come your way.

Read more at: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/tournament/2015/story/_/id/12495192/bracket-much-more-geography-rpi

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe that they raised UK to a 2 and dropped Louisville to a 3 in order for USF/Tampa to host 3 additional games prior to the tournament to help build a little more local interest from the casual sports fan. I think it is further supported by the fact that they placed us in UCONN's bracket in order to do so. They generally try to avoid teams from the same conference playing each other until as late as possible, and that could have easily been done in this case, but it wasn't.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,261
  • Days Won:  1

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe that they raised UK to a 2 and dropped Louisville to a 3 in order for USF/Tampa to host 3 additional games prior to the tournament to help build a little more local interest from the casual sports fan. I think it is further supported by the fact that they placed us in UCONN's bracket in order to do so. They generally try to avoid teams from the same conference playing each other until as late as possible, and that could have easily been done in this case, but it wasn't.

I'm thinking they put us in UCONN to guarantee 2 teams from the AAC couldn't make it to the final 4 and/or title game since that would make the power 5 look really bad

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

We appear to win the 2nd half battle because UConn is up by 30 in the first half and puts their "scrubs" in during the 2nd half.

:facepalm: .... You obviously didn't watch the last game.

I watched all 3 games thank you. The last game, their bench played 38 minutes compared to our bench 12 minutes. 2 of UConn's subs actually had more playing time than Nurse who is their starter. Edited by Sellular1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

We appear to win the 2nd half battle because UConn is up by 30 in the first half and puts their "scrubs" in during the 2nd half.

:facepalm: .... You obviously didn't watch the last game.

I watched all 3 games thank you. The last game, their bench played 38 minutes compared to our bench 12 minutes. 2 of UConn's subs actually had more playing time than Nurse who is their starter.

That's because Tuck got 2 fouls midway through the FIRST half. 3 of their starters, their 3 best players, played the full 40 minutes. Your comment about "scrubs" being in was totally baseless ......... and you're welcome.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Not sure I entirely agree with the idea of SOS being more important. It is but not every time. Tell me why Arizona St (RPI 17, SOS 35) and Oregon State (RPI 19, SOS 55) were top 4 seeds while Dayton (RPI 13, SOS 33) and George Washington (RPI 11, SOS 52) were not? The answer goes back to not wanting non-power 5 conferences in the final four. SOS is important within "class" but class is more important between class. In other words, P5 supersedes non-P5 every time without regard to rankings, w\l record or other stats which would show otherwise.

I really, really, despise this system sometimes.