• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women's Hoops Ranking/Seed Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Rpi 26 sounds like a 7 seed

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

If one were deciding seeding based soley on RPI, sure.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If one were deciding seeding based soley on RPI, sure.

Okay, an RPI of 26 and a ranking of 26/27 sounds like a 7 seed

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

better hope they go strictly by RPI or we will be worse than a 7, our biggest q-win was against Oklahoma which lost to the 6 seed in the conference tourney semi-finals. We have wins against Chattanooga and Stetson as well and Chattanooga did win their conference championship but then theres the whole name recognition as well. We have a bad loss against St Johns, not to mention the 3 double digit losses to UConn as well as a SOS that is the 7th easiest out of the top 30 teams. Not sure what else there is to compare that too.

My projections are a 7 seed against Gonzaga (whose loss yesterday knocked Tulane out of contention) in a South Carolina, Louisville, Florida State and Princeton quarter.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

better hope they go strictly by RPI or we will be worse than a 7, our biggest q-win was against Oklahoma which lost to the 6 seed in the conference tourney semi-finals. We have wins against Chattanooga and Stetson as well and Chattanooga did win their conference championship but then theres the whole name recognition as well. We have a bad loss against St Johns, not to mention the 3 double digit losses to UConn as well as a SOS that is the 7th easiest out of the top 30 teams. Not sure what else there is to compare that too.

My projections are a 7 seed against Gonzaga (whose loss yesterday knocked Tulane out of contention) in a South Carolina, Louisville, Florida State and Princeton quarter.

You have to keep in mind that the NCAA frequently does procedural/geographic bumps and drops for women's basketball. We are likely to be either a 6 or 7 seed. I hope we don't get screwed with an 8 seed, as that would mean an extremely difficult Round of 32 match-up. 

The Oklahoma win is solid and, if you put our resume next to theirs, we stack up just as well, if not better than they do. They are viewed as a solid 6/7 seed as well. 

No one can discount the win over Chattanooga, even if they don't get the respect the major conference teams get. They have wins over Tennessee and Stanford. Their losses were to us, Notre Dame, and (their only head scratcher) to Arkansas State, who still might win their conference tournament. 

Villanova was a decent win and so were our 3 wins over Tulane (5 of their 10 losses were to us and UCONN and they beat UALR, LSU, Miami, NC State, and played FSU close). 

It is also hard not to think about what could have been with this team. The ECU, St. John's, and Kentucky games were all very close and winnable. Just imagine if we had taken care of business in those 3 games. We would be 29-4 with a two decent showings in losses to UCONN and Maryland. In that scenario we would be a 3 or 4 seed. 

Edited by BullyPulpit

Here is an interesting blind resume test. 

Team 1: 21-9; Record against RPI: TOP 25: 1-6; TOP 50: 4-6; TOP 100: 8-8 (one bad loss to #218)

Team 2: 20-11; Record against RPI: TOP 25: 2-6; TOP 50: 6-9; TOP 100: 13-11

Team 3: 22-10: Record against RPI: TOP 25: 4-4; TOP 50: 5-7; TOP 100: 11-10

Team 4: 23-9:  Record against RPI: TOP 25: 2-4; TOP 50: 5-5; TOP 100: 10-9

Team 5: 26-7: Record against RPI: TOP 25: 2-5; TOP 50: 6-5; TOP 100: 9-7

Team 6: 29-3: Record against RPI: TOP 25: 2-2; TOP 50: 2-2; TOP 100: 4-3

Team 7: 27-2: Record against RPI: TOP 25: 1-0; TOP 50: 5-1; TOP 100: 9-1 (one bad loss to #148)

Team 8: 22-9: Record against RPI: TOP 25: 0-5; TOP 50: 3-8; TOP 100: 7-9

Teams 1 and 2 are Syracuse and Oklahoma and I cannot find a projection where they are not either a 6 or 7 seed.

Teams 3 and 4 are Texas and Texas A&M and the projections I see list them anywhere from a 5 to a 7 seed. 

Team #5 is obviously USF. 

Teams 6 and 7 are Chattanooga and Florida Gulf Coast and the projections have Chattanooga as a unanimous #7 and FGCU between a 7 and 9. I'm actually shocked at how strong FGCU's resume is. If the committee gives them the credit they deserve, they should be much closer to a 5 seed than a 9 seed. 

It will be very interesting to me how the selection committee ultimately decides where to place these teams. I chose record against RPI Top 100 because that represents the only "decent" teams in the country. There really isn't much more value in a win over team #160 and team # 280, especially in women's basketball. Also, the conferences, even the power conferences, tend to be much more top heavy than on the men's side. 

The real litmus test for the committee will be Team #8. That is Rutgers, a team that comes from a power conference, has name recognition, but really falls short when compared to the rest of the competition. They are listed as a 7 or 8 seed in online projections. If Rutgers is a 7 seed, we are a 5 seed. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Isn't it awesome to be discussing WHERE we will be seeded, rather than WHETHER we will be?

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Nice breakdown Bully... I hope you are right!

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF moved up one place to #26 in the Coaches Poll. And, Just as with the AP Poll, Ohio State jumped over us to get #24 and NW moved to #25. Nebraska and Syracuse dropped out, but RU is still ranked.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/2

RU still being ranked is a travesty. Their schedule is actually weaker than ours. The numbers above don't lie and paint a pretty clear picture. Out of all the teams vying for 6/7 seeds, Rutgers is by far and away the least deserving, with Syracuse right behind as the second least deserving. 

Can someone please tell me what I am missing about Rutgers?