• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football 2015.....SPREAD OFFENSE???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Please no on Kinnan. Go get a guy who has been coaching in college football. I figure what's most important is a good offensive mind, but the guy hasn't coached a down of football in college.

You should check your facts before posting about Joe's resume. Just sayin

The one article I read only talked about him in regards to High school coaching. It didn't mention he coached at Eastern Kentucky back in 1979. So it's only been 35 years since he coached in college. I Really know nothing about the man, but just seems to be shooting low.

I read a lot of articles too but don't take them to heart. I guess we should just say that you are not the only one who tends to believe and only listen to what the media shows the public. Congrats to the media one American at a time falls victim to their biased BS.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

I guess I'm the bad guy who isn't terribly excited about a staff with one guy 2 years removed from high school coaching, then throwing Kinnan and Weiner into the mix. All of those guys are great, but the high school game is not the college game, even if it's the AAC.

Link 1

Link 2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

I mentioned it a while back about Kinnan coming to USF. Don't foget that he was almost the first coach there.

He is an offensive genius and if anyone had any idea how valuable he could be to the program, they may have think twice about this one. You're going to get a guy at a great value and leave you with some good money to bring in a much better DC than Bres was.

As a head coach, you have to trust the OC and I think that CWT will have that trust in Joe and know that he can manage the game offensively and leave the overall sight of the game to Taggs.

I laugh at all the members on here that we excited about CWT coming here and two years in want him fired too!

Let's be honest, it's going to be very hard to attract a "hot" upcoming coach to this program having to compete against the three big ones here.

Joe and CWT can make the spread work here and we have the kids that can run it. Don't be surprised if you see Coach Weiner from Plant come along as well.

Joe didn't take the job last year because he felt Manatee had a great chance at winning another State Title and didn't expect Superintendent Mills to come after him personally.

Kinnan was covering up for his assistant having inappropriate contact with teen age girls.

I don't want him around the program.

Please present some evidence that Joe Kinnan was aware and covered up those things. Their was criminal proceedings, people were investigated, Kinnan was not involved. Why are you so certain he was?
I worked for the Manatee School District for years and know many of the people involved. Kinnan knew everything going on at that school. He was more interested in winning football games than the welfare of the children.

No one was convicted but 6 people lost their jobs over this.

If Kinnan was just interested in winning football games, why would he know everything going on at the school?

If it was involving one of his coaches, he knew what was going on. Do you honestly expect me to believe he didn't ask why his assistant coach was suspended for a game as stated in the police report?

He knew Rod had issues with the girls. He looked the other way.

You are making a huge leap from Kinnan knowing that a coach was investigated for something by school administrators(and subsequently cleared by school administrators), to him covering something up. If you have something of substance to make these claims about him covering up these types of activities, please take it to the Bradenton police, but otherwise you shouldn't be slandering the guy.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Flickr_DerailMed_Jinx3263939013_153f835d

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I guess I'm the bad guy who isn't terribly excited about a staff with one guy 2 years removed from high school coaching, then throwing Kinnan and Weiner into the mix. All of those guys are great, but the high school game is not the college game, even if it's the AAC.

Link 1

Link 2

Yes. I agree, sometimes the best high school coaches make great college coaches. Guess what happens all the other times that don't fall under sometimes. And I have no problem with hiring high school coaches, what I said in my post was that I wasn't real confident in bringing 3 of them on in two years. There is a very large gap between high school and college coaching and no one is going to make a seamless transition, that's why the majority of the coaches in that second article were getting jobs like "recruiting coordinator" and "graduate assistant" while they get acclimated. We don't have the staff Auburn (or Clemson, or Penn State, or Georgia, or Alabama) has surrounding those guys to cover for any growing pains.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

Please no on Kinnan. Go get a guy who has been coaching in college football. I figure what's most important is a good offensive mind, but the guy hasn't coached a down of football in college.

You should check your facts before posting about Joe's resume. Just sayin

The one article I read only talked about him in regards to High school coaching. It didn't mention he coached at Eastern Kentucky back in 1979. So it's only been 35 years since he coached in college. I Really know nothing about the man, but just seems to be shooting low.

I read a lot of articles too but don't take them to heart. I guess we should just say that you are not the only one who tends to believe and only listen to what the media shows the public. Congrats to the media one American at a time falls victim to their biased BS.

Tends to believe and only listen to what the media shows the public? Haha what are you saying? I didn't say the article said "he's never coached college football". The article was about Kinnan and how he was tied to the USF job opening. It talked about all of his high school coaching successes yada yada, but did not mention in that article that he coached in college football prior. I assumed an article about Kinnan and being an option for USF would list ALL of his coaching experience, but it did not. You're just a tad over the top with the above response big dog.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Link 1

Link 2

Yes. I agree, sometimes the best high school coaches make great college coaches. Guess what happens all the other times that don't fall under sometimes. And I have no problem with hiring high school coaches, what I said in my post was that I wasn't real confident in bringing 3 of them on in two years. There is a very large gap between high school and college coaching and no one is going to make a seamless transition, that's why the majority of the coaches in that second article were getting jobs like "recruiting coordinator" and "graduate assistant" while they get acclimated. We don't have the staff Auburn (or Clemson, or Penn State, or Georgia, or Alabama) has surrounding those guys to cover for any growing pains.

Indeed, that's the best support for your position. I agree.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Bottom line: Kinnan is precisely the kind of hire one makes when he has one year to keep his job. Low risk, high reward. Hard to imagine our offense gets worse than it already is (although I suppose it's possible). As for allegations that Kinnan isn't a moral, upright citizen, provided he hasn't been charged with a crime, I'd have no problem giving him the opportunity at USF.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386

I mentioned it a while back about Kinnan coming to USF. Don't foget that he was almost the first coach there.

He is an offensive genius and if anyone had any idea how valuable he could be to the program, they may have think twice about this one. You're going to get a guy at a great value and leave you with some good money to bring in a much better DC than Bres was.

As a head coach, you have to trust the OC and I think that CWT will have that trust in Joe and know that he can manage the game offensively and leave the overall sight of the game to Taggs.

I laugh at all the members on here that we excited about CWT coming here and two years in want him fired too!

Let's be honest, it's going to be very hard to attract a "hot" upcoming coach to this program having to compete against the three big ones here.

Joe and CWT can make the spread work here and we have the kids that can run it. Don't be surprised if you see Coach Weiner from Plant come along as well.

Joe didn't take the job last year because he felt Manatee had a great chance at winning another State Title and didn't expect Superintendent Mills to come after him personally.

Kinnan was covering up for his assistant having inappropriate contact with teen age girls.

I don't want him around the program.

If Kinnan was covering up what happened there, why wasn't he charged with anything? The other administrators were.....oh maybe he is good friends with the lead investigator.

Give me a break and grow up. State the facts that you actually know and don't talk about allegations.

I know what was in the police report. I was wrong in saying he covered things up. That was a poor choice of words. I should have said he looked the other way. And it is my personal belief he did.

When it comes down to it the school failed those girls.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't know about bringing in what amounts to a high school coach.  Regardless of his success at that level, the games are different.  The preparation is different.  I guess it would be a short term, stop gap measure, but to bring in someone that has to learn the college game while trying to help turn a program around seems a little weird.  

If it is in the role of a consultant or advisor which, to me, amounts to being a mentor and someone that Taggart looks up to that is fine, but not as a coordinator.  We need someone that has been around a higher level of football recently.