• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football 2015.....SPREAD OFFENSE???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Bottom line: Kinnan is precisely the kind of hire one makes when he has one year to keep his job. Low risk, high reward. Hard to imagine our offense gets worse than it already is (although I suppose it's possible). As for allegations that Kinnan isn't a moral, upright citizen, provided he hasn't been charged with a crime, I'd have no problem giving him the opportunity at USF.

I would say high risk, high reward. Hasn't coached in college football in like 35 years. Low risk would be someone who has been lighting up the scoreboard somewhere in college football recently. Not someone who was sitting at home due to health concerns.

I don't know about bringing in what amounts to a high school coach.  Regardless of his success at that level, the games are different.  The preparation is different.  I guess it would be a short term, stop gap measure, but to bring in someone that has to learn the college game while trying to help turn a program around seems a little weird.  

If it is in the role of a consultant or advisor which, to me, amounts to being a mentor and someone that Taggart looks up to that is fine, but not as a coordinator.  We need someone that has been around a higher level of football recently.

Well said. That's what I think too. Preparing and coaching a high school offense has got to be night and day different than preparing and coaching a college offense.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Bottom line: Kinnan is precisely the kind of hire one makes when he has one year to keep his job. Low risk, high reward. Hard to imagine our offense gets worse than it already is (although I suppose it's possible). As for allegations that Kinnan isn't a moral, upright citizen, provided he hasn't been charged with a crime, I'd have no problem giving him the opportunity at USF.

I would say high risk, high reward. Hasn't coached in college football in like 35 years. Low risk would be someone who has been lighting up the scoreboard somewhere in college football recently. Not someone who was sitting at home due to health concerns.

Not sure what you think the "high risk" is. If he fails, does that mean our offense falls to #128 in FBS instead of #127? He will also probably come at relatively low cost. And if he fails, as you're apparently predicting due to his collegiate inexperience, it's likely both he and Taggart are gone next year. If it's a "high risk" for anyone, I suppose it's a big risk for Taggart and at most a one-year risk for USF.

Not sure what you think the "high risk" is. If he fails, does that mean our offense falls to #128 in FBS instead of #127? He will also probably come at relatively low cost. And if he fails, as you're apparently predicting due to his collegiate inexperience, it's likely both he and Taggart are gone next year. If it's a "high risk" for anyone, I suppose it's a big risk for Taggart and at most a one-year risk for USF.

I didn't predict anything. I guess if you're looking at it in terms of where our offense was ranked the last few years, almost no one we bring in would be high risk according to that logic.

Taggart is the one taking the risk (if he has the ability to hire who he wants), and if he chooses to go with a man that hasn't coached at this level in decades then yes, I think it's a high risk move for him. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

But he HAS been advising elite coaches for years.

"Kinnan is more than just a hall of fame high school coach who guided Manatee to five state titles and seven state final appearances with 290 victories -- he is a resident genius that successful college coaches have sought out before.

While he was winning those state titles, Kinnan was also conducting informal study sessions for some of those highly paid collegiate coaches who wanted to pick his brain."

"Guys like Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and Nebraska's legendary hall of fame coach Tom Osborne are among those who have lauded Kinnan for his offensive mind.

The Manatee legend's finger prints can be seen on the Auburn offense that has been one of the most prolific since Malzahn became offensive coordinator and then head coach."

At this point, if we hire a home run DC and Kinnan, I'll be satisfied. 

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We are hiring a HS coach. Man......

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804

Gus Malzahn was a high school coach that left for off coordinator at Arkansas. So yeah if they are brilliant I will take them

Gus Malzahn was a high school coach that left for off coordinator at Arkansas. So yeah if they are brilliant I will take them

Yeah and Gerry Faust the greatest HS coach of all time failed at Notre Dame. Even if brilliant or successful it is no guarantee.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,645
  • Days Won:  424

Yeah and Gerry Faust the greatest HS coach of all time failed at Notre Dame. Even if brilliant or successful it is no guarantee.

Didn't he go straight to head coach or am I remembering that incorrectly ...?

Didn't he go straight to head coach or am I remembering that incorrectly ...?

Yes that is correct, my point is about the degree of change. Going from HS coach to O Coordinator is huge. Look, he may be to handle it and for the sake of the program I hope he does, but it is concerning.