• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jobs open? Let's speculate on coaching hires

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

This is one tweet I don't like seeing..

@SleeperAthletes: Former #Wildcats All-American & current #USF LB Coach @CoachWoodie being pursued by #BCU for their HC position http://t.co/VOqlObGpM6

I checked with my wife to see if she heard anything about this at work. She heard about 2 days ago that Coach Woodie won't be returning next year. Wish I would have known sooner but she's a casual fan and didn't think to tell me.

Take it for what it's worth; she's close to a member of the Woodie family through work. I'm not allowed to say more due to the confidential nature of her job but from what she tells me, it sounds like he got the BCU job. I expect I'll catch flack for not posting my source. Same thing happened when I posted that she heard Bench would be the starter for the Houston game.

You did post a source ... your wife. Shouldn't catch any flack for that. There have been tons more sketchy "sources" than that presented here ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

@SleeperAthletes: Former #Wildcats All-American & current #USF LB Coach @CoachWoodie being pursued by #BCU for their HC position http://t.co/VOqlObGpM6

I checked with my wife to see if she heard anything about this at work. She heard about 2 days ago that Coach Woodie won't be returning next year. Wish I would have known sooner but she's a casual fan and didn't think to tell me.

Take it for what it's worth; she's close to a member of the Woodie family through work. I'm not allowed to say more due to the confidential nature of her job but from what she tells me, it sounds like he got the BCU job. I expect I'll catch flack for not posting my source. Same thing happened when I posted that she heard Bench would be the starter for the Houston game.

You did post a source ... your wife. Shouldn't catch any flack for that. There have been tons more sketchy "sources" than that presented here ...

Wouldn't be too surprising

Being able to HC your Alma mater? And not a bad program.  9-3 last year, finishing the season by beating FAMU

Sad to see him go, but wish him well

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663

Wouldn't be too surprising

Being able to HC your Alma mater? And not a bad program.  9-3 last year, finishing the season by beating FAMU

Sad to see him go, but wish him well

Man that sucks, he was our best recruiter hands down. So now we are looking for a LBs coach too??? DC/LB/DB/OC....that's not good

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Not looking for a DC any longer.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

Wish they would get Larry Scott back.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663

Wish they would get Larry Scott back.

Here's 1 thing that you and I can agree on 100%

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Our recently fired OC was also offensive line coach.

Well there's the problem right there.  He went from position coach to coordinator.  Who does that?

That's not the point. The point is why does USF have to be the On The Job training program for position coaches?

We're a bottom dweller AAC team with a coach who may not last through next season.  Guys that are proven can find better situations especially considering there are P5 jobs open and P5 jobs that were just filled where HC's will need to fill out staffs.  Proven guys are waiting to see if they can get a better job, that pays more, and have better job security.  Established guys will have much better options available that's why we are looking at up and comers.  As for the "coach in waiting" theory that very rarely happens at programs that are trending downward.  Coach in waiting scenarios are usually applicable when programs are highly successful and the coach is nearing retirement age or a young coach is wildly successful and it's becoming inevitable that they will bolt for the NFL or an elite P5 job.

There are several non-P5 teams with top offenses, top 30, starting with Marshall at #1 in FBS. All coach a much better offense than USF has under CWT. You telling me USF can't afford to lure their OC? From the MAC or CUSA? I'd like to see someone with OC experience, not someone learning the job is all.http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total

The problem is the situation we are currently in.  Why would they leave a successful situation to step into one that is looking very likely it will be one and done.  Also, if the new OC is bringing in a spread system he has one year to run his system with players that were recruited for a power run offense.  Those same OC's can stay where they have their system installed with players that fit instead of potentially damaging their coaching careers.  Why make what pretty much amounts to a lateral move in a situation where the deck is indeed stacked against you when you can continue to be successful and take a better opportunity later? Or better yet why not come here in a year or two with a new HC and get a fair shake as the OC instead of stepping into a potentially one and done situation with a HC that has a undermined the last two OC's he hired?  Those same coaches can take a wait and see approach to USF in a comfortable situation where they are set up for success and still possibly have the USF job in a year or two or even better get a job that is a step up.  People need to stop acting like the AAC is so far ahead of a job in the Sun Belt or MAC.  Truthfully, at this point, there's not much difference....

What high schools run that system? Most likely he's teaching what they know from high school.

Why come here? Why not? Jobs are available every season. Get out of playing in the frozen north would probably do it for some. For all of them, this should be a move up conference wise.

People don't go into coaching jobs thinking they will fail.

But the reason this won't happen isn't because of your reasoning, it's because they aren't known to the coaches CWT worked with so they won't get a shot. Or so it seems to me.

The OC job here is pretty awful, some would say toxic at this moment.  The AAC is pretty much a lateral move for teams from the Sun Belt and MAC at this point.  Take off the green and gold goggles the OC job here is not very attractive.  

Especially when they've seen the last 2 "OCs" get fired when they weren't even really the true "OC". Taggart is our Offensive coach, calls the plays, but because he's also the head coach he has the luxury of blaming it on someone else when it goes wrong.

Bottom line is I'm sure whoever USF has contacted has done their homework and seen that the OC isn't a true OC when Taggart is the head coach and when things go bad they get the blame. Add in what Dozier has said about this could easily be Taggart's last year, which would mean it's this new OC's last year. It's not a job anyone with a good job currently is going to jump at. That's why we have to pull guys off the streets (Hope and Kinnan). 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Extremely underwhelmed if Hope is our new offensive coordinator. 

I wouldn't be crazy about Hope either but who our offensive coordinator is, is the secondary issue.  The main question is if they will truly be allowed to run their offense.  If not, it doesn't matter what their background is.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Extremely underwhelmed if Hope is our new offensive coordinator. 

Always good to have Hope.

As long as it can be contained. 

President_Snow1.jpg