• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers to start vs. SMU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Fifth guy to start at QB in a little over a season and a half worth of games.  2nd true freshman in two years.  Not Taggart's fault, but our offense is a mess.  

Not Taggart's fault our offense is a mess?  Who else is to blame?  He's been here almost two years and our offense is still among the worst in DI.  Teams with less talent are performing better on offense.  It is CWT's offense and he refuses to let his OC change it.  Two recruiting classes and almost two years to work with these kids, we should be seeing some kind of improvement.   It's all on CWT.

meant to say that it is not Taggart's fault he was left with no decent QBs.  I agree that the overall scheme of the offense is a mess and on Taggart.  Just not the QB mess.

While I agree the QBs on the roster are not his fault, there are far less talented QBs in the NCAA than Bench/White that are at least marginally productive.

far less?? you do realize you're talking about the #106th and #120th rated passers in the country who both have under a 50% completion percentage, right?

That was sort of the point. Bench and White are not awful physically, but their production sucks. There are plenty of QBs out there with less talent, yet they are not in the triple digits with their production.

what does that even mean? You have some way of objectively assessing talent other than looking at their production? do you think Blaine gabbert was a more talented QB than Peyton Manning? he was just unfortunate to play in a bad system?

Sorry but QBs that are low rated passers generally are on offenses that are rated low with the exception of option running teams.

doesn't matter what "system" they run if they aren't very good passers.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Fifth guy to start at QB in a little over a season and a half worth of games.  2nd true freshman in two years.  Not Taggart's fault, but our offense is a mess.  

Not Taggart's fault our offense is a mess?  Who else is to blame? 

Whoever didn't leave him a viable quarterback-in-waiting like MG and BJ were ... or is that "whomever"?

should be "whosoever"

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

I keep seeing people say he has a weak arm, but yet I read elsewhere he's BJ Daniels on steroids with a stronger arm and bj had a cannon. Which is it.

I really hope this kid is bj part 2.

I don't know where people are getting that either. The kid has a cannon!

I keep seeing people say he has a weak arm, but yet I read elsewhere he's BJ Daniels on steroids with a stronger arm and bj had a cannon. Which is it.

I really hope this kid is bj part 2.

I don't know where people are getting that either. The kid has a cannon!

My favorite pass is 33 seconds into the video. He does NOT have a weak arm!!

He basically threw the ball 55 yards off one foot in the play I mentioned above. Anybody saying that he has a weak arm has not seen enough of Flowers to make that determination.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Yeah, his arm looks pretty strong in that video.  I was just going off of what I've seen from him in a Bulls uni.  Might have to do with footwork.

Couple things from that video jump out at me though - first, some of those throws, if he throws into traffic as much as he did in those videos, he's gonna get picked.  He made some very risky throws that you can't do at the D1 level.

2nd, and better news, is that it looks like he had a pretty bad OL in high school.  He can certainly make plays with his feet and he should feel right at home with our OL. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yeah, his arm looks pretty strong in that video.  I was just going off of what I've seen from him in a Bulls uni.  Might have to do with footwork.

Couple things from that video jump out at me though - first, some of those throws, if he throws into traffic as much as he did in those videos, he's gonna get picked.  He made some very risky throws that you can't do at the D1 level.

2nd, and better news, is that it looks like he had a pretty bad OL in high school.  He can certainly make plays with his feet and he should feel right at home with our OL. 

Yeah his footwork needs a ton of work as well, it's why he floats the ball at times, even with his good arm strength.  There are quite a few throws in that tape where the WR has to wait for the ball because he doesn't square up and throw with his legs but rather just uses all arm and doesn't get good zip on the passes.  If he still has that habit he will be an INT machine at this level.  It's also the reason for the "rainbows" he threw in the NC State game.  Unless the kid has had some kind of a big time breakthrough with his footwork passing will be risky business with Flowers at this point and time.  

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

I am not sure where the weak arm strength comments are coming from either. There has hardly been much to go from watching him this year and judging by the video highlights I have watched, his arm strength appears pretty strong.

It looked like his OL let guys run unblocked many times making him have to throw on the run a lot and not from a clean pocket. The way our OL has been at times this year, his mobility could be a plus in extending plays and potentially finding more completions.

I, like many others, am a little nervous that he will be starting because it is an unknown. At this point I think I would rather go with the unknown in Flowers then go with the known in Bench and White which haven't performed all too well. Some people think that putting White or Bench in would be a given win against SMU but let's not forget that Bench's start against Houston yielded 3 points and 222 total yards and against Cincy we had 176 total yards and 3 points when you take out to the two big TD pass plays, one of which was a complete coverage bust.

We are worried that Flowers will turn the ball over because he is inexperienced but Bench and White haven't taken care of the ball either. I don't think this changes our chances against SMU that much because our offense has pretty much been non-existent with whoever at QB so I will stay cautiously excited to see what Flowers can provide in extended playing time.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Not Taggart's fault our offense is a mess?  Who else is to blame?  He's been here almost two years and our offense is still among the worst in DI.  Teams with less talent are performing better on offense.  It is CWT's offense and he refuses to let his OC change it.  Two recruiting classes and almost two years to work with these kids, we should be seeing some kind of improvement.   It's all on CWT.

meant to say that it is not Taggart's fault he was left with no decent QBs.  I agree that the overall scheme of the offense is a mess and on Taggart.  Just not the QB mess.

While I agree the QBs on the roster are not his fault, there are far less talented QBs in the NCAA than Bench/White that are at least marginally productive.

far less?? you do realize you're talking about the #106th and #120th rated passers in the country who both have under a 50% completion percentage, right?

That was sort of the point. Bench and White are not awful physically, but their production sucks. There are plenty of QBs out there with less talent, yet they are not in the triple digits with their production.

what does that even mean? You have some way of objectively assessing talent other than looking at their production? do you think Blaine gabbert was a more talented QB than Peyton Manning? he was just unfortunate to play in a bad system?

Sorry but QBs that are low rated passers generally are on offenses that are rated low with the exception of option running teams.

doesn't matter what "system" they run if they aren't very good passers.

Seriously? This is your argument for today? That talent/skills and production are directly tied to each other and that it isn't possible for someone to be more productive, yet less talented. Here, I'll give you an example. Matt Grothe. More productive than MANY college QBs, not as talented. Or how about Tim Tebow vs. BJ Daniels. One could argue that Tebow was a bit more productive in college, yet BJ is the one still employed by the NFL.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Yeah his footwork needs a ton of work as well, it's why he floats the ball at times, even with his good arm strength.  There are quite a few throws in that tape where the WR has to wait for the ball because he doesn't square up and throw with his legs but rather just uses all arm and doesn't get good zip on the passes.  If he still has that habit he will be an INT machine at this level.  It's also the reason for the "rainbows" he threw in the NC State game.  Unless the kid has had some kind of a big time breakthrough with his footwork passing will be risky business with Flowers at this point and time.  

Exactly.  I think I counted one pass, maybe two at the VERY most, that had any sort of zip on the ball. 

The more we talk it out, the more nervous about this weekend I'm getting ...