• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers to start vs. SMU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Well, I hope he can throw a lot better than what I've seen so far.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Coaches being unable to develop White or Bench and turning to a true freshman is concerning.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

lucky charms

Captain Crunch

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Count Chocula!

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Agree with others, Bench has not been given a far shake this year. IMO He looks like our best option out of the 3 we have seen this year. It also doesn't matter who our QB is if receivers keep dropping the ball.

Both Bench and White have looked better than Flowers when they were thrown in last year. If the coaches have given up this year they would be smart to put there best QB to get reps and ready for next year...forget about two or three years down the road. Next year is almost here and you got to win or get packing...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Crispy Critters

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Taggart absolutely made the right move here.  His goal this year was to make a bowl game.  He gave both White and Bench plenty of opportunities and combined they led this team to the brink of being eliminated from bowl eligibility.  Now coming off a bye week against the worst team in the country, Flowers has an opportunity to be eased into a rough situation, and then most likely be given a chance to win 2 consecutive games against solid teams to save the season.   My prediction is that we see USF play Georgia Tech ball this week.   20 rushes from Mack.  15 rushes from Flowers.  10 for Johnson.  5 - 10 for everyone else.  Flowers throws 10 - 15 passes.  We most likely will play primarily 1 WR sets with Davis, because everyone else has dropped the ball every other time it's in their hands.  SMU has given up atleast 220 rushing yards in every single game they have played this year.  

My only criticism of this move is that Taggart has shown a willingness to shuffle QB's in and out when they have played poorly, but for some reason he has left the same offensive linemen, tight ends, and wide receivers in that have struggled as well.   He is pretty much sending the message to the team that they are losing because their QB's suck, when in reality there is alot more blame to go around.  Even if he has to go deep into the depth chart he needs to give some more players an opportunity to show what they can go on game day, not just in practice.

He still hasn't given Bench a fair shot.  The one game that Bench was named starter, he split reps during the week with White.  White had week after week of first team reps all to himself even as he failed each game.  Bench gets one week with 50% reps, the running game disappears on him and that is all he gets.  

Not sure how you believe that Bench got a fair shot.

Bench has 140 pass attempts here. His career completion percentage is below 50%. It's time you realize he is not the answer to our QB problems

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Fifth guy to start at QB in a little over a season and a half worth of games.  2nd true freshman in two years.  Not Taggart's fault, but our offense is a mess.  

Not Taggart's fault our offense is a mess?  Who else is to blame?  He's been here almost two years and our offense is still among the worst in DI.  Teams with less talent are performing better on offense.  It is CWT's offense and he refuses to let his OC change it.  Two recruiting classes and almost two years to work with these kids, we should be seeing some kind of improvement.   It's all on CWT.

meant to say that it is not Taggart's fault he was left with no decent QBs.  I agree that the overall scheme of the offense is a mess and on Taggart.  Just not the QB mess.

While I agree the QBs on the roster are not his fault, there are far less talented QBs in the NCAA than Bench/White that are at least marginally productive.

far less?? you do realize you're talking about the #106th and #120th rated passers in the country who both have under a 50% completion percentage, right?

That was sort of the point. Bench and White are not awful physically, but their production sucks. There are plenty of QBs out there with less talent, yet they are not in the triple digits with their production.

what does that even mean? You have some way of objectively assessing talent other than looking at their production? do you think Blaine gabbert was a more talented QB than Peyton Manning? he was just unfortunate to play in a bad system?

Sorry but QBs that are low rated passers generally are on offenses that are rated low with the exception of option running teams.

doesn't matter what "system" they run if they aren't very good passers.

Seriously? This is your argument for today? That talent/skills and production are directly tied to each other and that it isn't possible for someone to be more productive, yet less talented. Here, I'll give you an example. Matt Grothe. More productive than MANY college QBs, not as talented. Or how about Tim Tebow vs. BJ Daniels. One could argue that Tebow was a bit more productive in college, yet BJ is the one still employed by the NFL.

yes talent is directly related to production.

are you insane? you believe production has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with scheme?

Matt Grothe was very talented. a great athlete. he was rated the 38th best passer in 2008. you honestly believe that had to do with the scheme that was run and not his talent?? Leavitt used a FB at times. He even used Tes. maybe not to the extent that Taggart does but if you believe Grothe had those numbers because of the scheme and not his talent then you are insane.

Not sure what Tebow and Daniels have to do with it. NFL and college are two completely different animals. A BIT MORE PRODUCTIVE? If you mean a heisman trophy as the first sophomomore and 2 national championships then yes I guess he was a bit more productive. He's also been a BIT more productive in the NFL. He started and won a playoff game. BJ hasn't taken a regular season snap(not sure if he has even made a gameday roster).

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I guess he will be thrown to the wolves.  Hopefully he succeeds like BJ did against FSU.  I hope CWT has a plan in place either way.  I wish QF all the luck in the world and I will keep my fingers crossed that he has a good grasp of the playbook otherwise this could get ugly very early.