• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers to start vs. SMU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Taggart absolutely made the right move here.  His goal this year was to make a bowl game.  He gave both White and Bench plenty of opportunities and combined they led this team to the brink of being eliminated from bowl eligibility.  Now coming off a bye week against the worst team in the country, Flowers has an opportunity to be eased into a rough situation, and then most likely be given a chance to win 2 consecutive games against solid teams to save the season.   My prediction is that we see USF play Georgia Tech ball this week.   20 rushes from Mack.  15 rushes from Flowers.  10 for Johnson.  5 - 10 for everyone else.  Flowers throws 10 - 15 passes.  We most likely will play primarily 1 WR sets with Davis, because everyone else has dropped the ball every other time it's in their hands.  SMU has given up atleast 220 rushing yards in every single game they have played this year.  

My only criticism of this move is that Taggart has shown a willingness to shuffle QB's in and out when they have played poorly, but for some reason he has left the same offensive linemen, tight ends, and wide receivers in that have struggled as well.   He is pretty much sending the message to the team that they are losing because their QB's suck, when in reality there is alot more blame to go around.  Even if he has to go deep into the depth chart he needs to give some more players an opportunity to show what they can go on game day, not just in practice.

He still hasn't given Bench a fair shot.  The one game that Bench was named starter, he split reps during the week with White.  White had week after week of first team reps all to himself even as he failed each game.  Bench gets one week with 50% reps, the running game disappears on him and that is all he gets.  

Not sure how you believe that Bench got a fair shot.

Bench has 140 pass attempts here. His career completion percentage is below 50%. It's time you realize he is not the answer to our QB problems

I define the "answer" as who is most productive right this minute.  I've said ad nauseum that Bench is not the best QB in NCAA.  That isn't the question.  The question is which QB is best suited to lead this offense today.  That is Bench by a country mile.

You do realize that's your opinion, right? Stats certainly don't show bench is the more productive. And saying that the 120th rated QB is the best suited to run an offense by a country mile is beyond stupid.

You are also giving opinions, but no one else is attacking you personally by using words like "dumb" and "stupid".  Can we keep this conversation civil and mature?

Thank you.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

Hey.....you guys heard the lastest news, Flowers is starting this week <tongue in cheek  RenkOQU.gif>

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

http://www.americansignaturefurniture.com/dining-room-furniture/dining-room/collections/castleton/1601904.aspx

No they are throwing the ball more. they aren't as talented as shown in their ratings. You don't understand that teams that throw more will have MORE yards even if they are less efficient.

Linehan plays for a 1-8 team. no surprise they put up a lot of passing yards. they suck and are losing every game so they throw the ball a lot. not a team I would like us to emulate.

what does that even mean? You have some way of objectively assessing talent other than looking at their production? do you think Blaine gabbert was a more talented QB than Peyton Manning? he was just unfortunate to play in a bad system?

That was sort of the point. Bench and White are not awful physically, but their production sucks. There are plenty of QBs out there with less talent, yet they are not in the triple digits with their production.

Fifth guy to start at QB in a little over a season and a half worth of games.  2nd true freshman in two years.  Not Taggart's fault, but our offense is a mess.  

Not Taggart's fault our offense is a mess?  Who else is to blame?  He's been here almost two years and our offense is still among the worst in DI.  Teams with less talent are performing better on offense.  It is CWT's offense and he refuses to let his OC change it.  Two recruiting classes and almost two years to work with these kids, we should be seeing some kind of improvement.   It's all on CWT.

meant to say that it is not Taggart's fault he was left with no decent QBs.  I agree that the overall scheme of the offense is a mess and on Taggart.  Just not the QB mess.

While I agree the QBs on the roster are not his fault, there are far less talented QBs in the NCAA than Bench/White that are at least marginally productive.

far less?? you do realize you're talking about the #106th and #120th rated passers in the country who both have under a 50% completion percentage, right?

Sorry but QBs that are low rated passers generally are on offenses that are rated low with the exception of option running teams.

doesn't matter what "system" they run if they aren't very good passers.

University of Idaho is ranked 67th in total offense. Their QB's rating is: Linehan - 34.3 (good for 117/129 in the country) 

Ohio University is ranked 75th. Their QB's rating is: Prague - 34.3 (good for 116/129 in the country), I don't know where the difference is between them for ESPN, even though they have the same rating they are not listed as tied. 

Akron is ranked 79th in total offense. Their QB's rating is: Pohl - 36.1 (good for 114/129 in the country)

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/page/3

That's what "that" means. There are QBs out there with just as bad if not worse QB ratings at worse schools, with the offense doing more than us. They find a way to score points even with absolutely god awful QB play. What does that tell us? SCHEME is holding us back badly. Or are you going to sit here and tell us Idaho, Ohio, and Akron's QBs have more talent than what ours do? 

Akron is 4-6 and throws the ball 45 times per game. their 47th ranked defense has more to do with winning than their low rated QB.

what you failed to mention with Ohio(5-50 is that they have another QB that has over 100 attempts that would be ranked as the #57 rated QB so that's your difference there.

it's a known fact that teams that are losing throw the ball a lot. try to look at how efficient a passing offense is next time. not how many yards they put up.

You do realize that we are losing A LOT TOO right? Yards? How about points? Or do those not matter? Idaho is scoring 25.6 points per game, Ohio is scoring 20.8, Akron 21.7. All above our 19.

Idaho must have talent head and shoulders above us though right? 

number of passing attempts

Idaho   369

Akron   446

Ohio    321

USF    248

we average 6.7 yards per attempt. if we had thrown as much as Akron we would be the #9 passing offense (by yards) in the country. big freaking deal. when you have bad QBs your goal should be to throw LESS not MORE.

It's why georgia southern at 8-2 has the lowest ranked passing offense in the country. they only throw the ball 12 times per game.

I chimed in on a point that there are less talented teams & less talented QBs doing more than what we are and that's without a doubt true. As you've shown above, that is a direct result of scheme. This scheme is a joke. Taggart is grasping at straws. He has no answers. He hasn't had an answer since he got here. Every week that goes by he seems to bury himself further and like others on here say seems like he's just in way over his head.

it's not a result of the scheme. it's a result of the # of pass attempts.

honestly I'm not sure why you would want more pass attempts with the QBs we have. sure we would have more passing yards but unfortunately that's not the goal.

• Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.americansignaturefurniture.com/dining-room-furniture/dining-room/collections/castleton/1601904.aspx

No they are throwing the ball more. they aren't as talented as shown in their ratings. You don't understand that teams that throw more will have MORE yards even if they are less efficient.

Linehan plays for a 1-8 team. no surprise they put up a lot of passing yards. they suck and are losing every game so they throw the ball a lot. not a team I would like us to emulate.

what does that even mean? You have some way of objectively assessing talent other than looking at their production? do you think Blaine gabbert was a more talented QB than Peyton Manning? he was just unfortunate to play in a bad system?

That was sort of the point. Bench and White are not awful physically, but their production sucks. There are plenty of QBs out there with less talent, yet they are not in the triple digits with their production.

Fifth guy to start at QB in a little over a season and a half worth of games.  2nd true freshman in two years.  Not Taggart's fault, but our offense is a mess.  

Not Taggart's fault our offense is a mess?  Who else is to blame?  He's been here almost two years and our offense is still among the worst in DI.  Teams with less talent are performing better on offense.  It is CWT's offense and he refuses to let his OC change it.  Two recruiting classes and almost two years to work with these kids, we should be seeing some kind of improvement.   It's all on CWT.

meant to say that it is not Taggart's fault he was left with no decent QBs.  I agree that the overall scheme of the offense is a mess and on Taggart.  Just not the QB mess.

While I agree the QBs on the roster are not his fault, there are far less talented QBs in the NCAA than Bench/White that are at least marginally productive.

far less?? you do realize you're talking about the #106th and #120th rated passers in the country who both have under a 50% completion percentage, right?

Sorry but QBs that are low rated passers generally are on offenses that are rated low with the exception of option running teams.

doesn't matter what "system" they run if they aren't very good passers.

University of Idaho is ranked 67th in total offense. Their QB's rating is: Linehan - 34.3 (good for 117/129 in the country) 

Ohio University is ranked 75th. Their QB's rating is: Prague - 34.3 (good for 116/129 in the country), I don't know where the difference is between them for ESPN, even though they have the same rating they are not listed as tied. 

Akron is ranked 79th in total offense. Their QB's rating is: Pohl - 36.1 (good for 114/129 in the country)

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/page/3

That's what "that" means. There are QBs out there with just as bad if not worse QB ratings at worse schools, with the offense doing more than us. They find a way to score points even with absolutely god awful QB play. What does that tell us? SCHEME is holding us back badly. Or are you going to sit here and tell us Idaho, Ohio, and Akron's QBs have more talent than what ours do? 

Akron is 4-6 and throws the ball 45 times per game. their 47th ranked defense has more to do with winning than their low rated QB.

what you failed to mention with Ohio(5-50 is that they have another QB that has over 100 attempts that would be ranked as the #57 rated QB so that's your difference there.

it's a known fact that teams that are losing throw the ball a lot. try to look at how efficient a passing offense is next time. not how many yards they put up.

You do realize that we are losing A LOT TOO right? Yards? How about points? Or do those not matter? Idaho is scoring 25.6 points per game, Ohio is scoring 20.8, Akron 21.7. All above our 19.

Idaho must have talent head and shoulders above us though right? 

number of passing attempts

Idaho   369

Akron   446

Ohio    321

USF    248

we average 6.7 yards per attempt. if we had thrown as much as Akron we would be the #9 passing offense (by yards) in the country. big freaking deal. when you have bad QBs your goal should be to throw LESS not MORE.

It's why georgia southern at 8-2 has the lowest ranked passing offense in the country. they only throw the ball 12 times per game.

it's not a result of the scheme. it's a result of the # of pass attempts.

honestly I'm not sure why you would want more pass attempts with the QBs we have. sure we would have more passing yards but unfortunately that's not the goal.

Haha. It's not a result of scheme? The teams listed are in bad shape. Have losing records (minus Ohio, .500). Have awful QB play, but have 100-200 more pass attempts than us and it's not a result of scheme? Whatever you say...

You're right. Since our defense can stop opposing offenses on a consistent basis, we should throw even less. We should run every play, not worry about the QB position or WR position. Line up in Goal-line formation and run Wild Cat with Flowers/Mack/Johnson/Swanson all game. Getting Andre Davis involved as much as possible just seems silly.

Edited by USFbulls24

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,674
  • Days Won:  424

This thread has turned into the perfect example of the old adage "statistics are for losers" ...

so I guess your ultimate goal is more passing yards and more passing attempts? you do realize we don't have to change the scheme in order to do that. it's not what I would consider a measure of a more successful offense but i guess if that works for you.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839

Washington State lost their QB to a season ending injury. His backup a 2 star whose only high school offers were Cornell and Idaho comes in and making his first start threw for 72% completion, 471 yards, and 5 tds with 0 ints. You are telling me that none of that has to do with the offensive scheme that they run at Washington State? They could probably pull a kid in from the stands at Washington State and he would throw for 350 with 4tds.

hey we should hire their coach.....

oh wait they are only 3-7

BTW FSU offered a scholarship after his sophomore year in high school.

Falk grew up in Logan, Utah, and received a scholarship offer from Florida State after his sophomore year in high school. His family then moved to California so he could play for prep football power Oaks Christian as a junior. But the move didn't work out and Falk did not get to play. The family moved back to Logan for his senior year, when he threw for 3,600 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Most quarterbacks are recruited after their junior years, and Falk only had scholarship offers from Idaho, Wyoming and Cornell as a senior. He committed to Cornell, but then came the offer to walk-on at Washington State.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redshirt-freshman-falk-shines-washington-state-222200717--ncaaf.html;_ylt=A0LEV1d9mWNUqEAAxNJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzMmc0YWMxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQzM18x

Why didn't he play for FSU then? Oh right because they didn't offer him as a senior. That is why he committed to Cornell and had no scholy offers from FBS programs. Maybe we should get a coach like Leach. Washington State was a dumpster fire before Leach arrived winning only 9 games in the previous 4 seasons. Since he has arrived they have won 12 games in less than 3 seasons. He also led Texas Tech to 10 straight bowl games. I would love to have a coach like Leach here honestly. If nothing else it would put some excitement into the games.

Washington State lost their QB to a season ending injury. His backup a 2 star whose only high school offers were Cornell and Idaho comes in and making his first start threw for 72% completion, 471 yards, and 5 tds with 0 ints. You are telling me that none of that has to do with the offensive scheme that they run at Washington State? They could probably pull a kid in from the stands at Washington State and he would throw for 350 with 4tds.

hey we should hire their coach.....

oh wait they are only 3-7

BTW FSU offered a scholarship after his sophomore year in high school.

Falk grew up in Logan, Utah, and received a scholarship offer from Florida State after his sophomore year in high school. His family then moved to California so he could play for prep football power Oaks Christian as a junior. But the move didn't work out and Falk did not get to play. The family moved back to Logan for his senior year, when he threw for 3,600 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Most quarterbacks are recruited after their junior years, and Falk only had scholarship offers from Idaho, Wyoming and Cornell as a senior. He committed to Cornell, but then came the offer to walk-on at Washington State.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redshirt-freshman-falk-shines-washington-state-222200717--ncaaf.html;_ylt=A0LEV1d9mWNUqEAAxNJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzMmc0YWMxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQzM18x

Why didn't he play for FSU then? Oh right because they didn't offer him as a senior. That is why he committed to Cornell and had no scholy offers from FBS programs. Maybe we should get a coach like Leach. Washington State was a dumpster fire before Leach arrived winning only 9 games in the previous 4 seasons. Since he has arrived they have won 12 games in less than 3 seasons. He also led Texas Tech to 10 straight bowl games. I would love to have a coach like Leach here honestly. If nothing else it would put some excitement into the games.

He obviously has talent that's why FSU offered him as a sophomore regardless of what Rivals rated him.

I'm indifferent to leach but he does get paid almost $2M more per year than we currently pay. Oh and he is 3-7 in his 3rd year  at WSU with an overall record of 12-23. I couldn't care less what a coach does before he arrives at USF and I'm sure WSU fans would say the same about his success at Texas Tech

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839

Washington State hadn't been bowling in a decade and he was left a dumpster fire by (ironically enough) our current offensive coordinator and yet he had Washington State bowling in year 2. Leach's resume and success with the Air Raid scheme speaks for itself. If Taggart had us bowling this year I think he would get more of a pass for a down year 3. Also if he was losing close games to teams like Oregon instead of getting blown out in 60% of games against AAC competition then I think it would signal a sign of things changing for the better.

• Content Count:  1,516

so I guess your ultimate goal is more passing yards and more passing attempts? you do realize we don't have to change the scheme in order to do that. it's not what I would consider a measure of a more successful offense but i guess if that works for you.

My ultimate goal is to win some football games. How do you win football games with a bad defense? You have to score points. 

But you're helping me see the light. Don't fix what's not broken right? This offense has been lethal.