• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Why not bring in Flowers as a WR/QB and try a trick play where he is given the ball from white on a end of route and if a receiver is open have Flowers throw it or if all receivers are covered have him run the ball.

Hey,quite trying to be innovative.....that;s WAY outside of the CWT offense.
Sad but true

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

I doubt Flowers will make up for the glaring holes in our offensive scheme.

Flowers would be better under Leavitt's play style.

I see a big mismatch in our next game.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

So far, Flowers has not shown he can throw the ball.  His passes that I've seen (albeit not many) have way too much air under them.+

......and anyone else has ?

I've heard that, in practice, while the talent is there, he just doesn't throw the ball. Tucks it and runs the majority of the time, has a tough time reading the field. That was from a friend who is at practice daily, about 3 weeks ago. Seeing these updates is nice, and hopefully he is coming along.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Last time he played he literally completed more passes to the other team than to his own team. That's a concern. He's young. He re-defines what is meant by the term "raw". He used to go whole games and seasons in high school completing like 40% of his passes (fits right in with this crowd we have at QB this year at USF). Most schools had him as a WR/Athlete rather than a QB.

This is a hail mary. But screw it, why not. Maybe you could make an argument that you'll ruin the kid's confidence before he's ready. Maybe that's a sound argument.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

While I'm all for trying something that might work, and this may need a thread of it's own. But if it takes this long to learn enough of CWT's system to even think about changing QB's, why are we even thinking about one with a problem throwing? We've got plenty of them.

My point is, IF Flowers is not the guy, and we recruit another one, can he learn enough of "the system" to start in September? Nobody else has been able to do it.

Personally I think we should go with Bench for the rest of this year. I mean, it's not like he's had a lot of game reps to show what he can do.

Willie Taggart has committed two sins in my opinion since joining USF.

1. He had no idea what he was going to do at QB when he took the job. Or if he did have a plan, it wasn't a good one.

2. He's not been decisive about that position since coming here. He waffles. He commits to one guy and says this is the guy period, but then he takes that guy out to try another guy. Then he takes that second guy back out to put back in the original guy. He commits to never playing the freshman because he doesn't want to throw him to the wolves, then breaks that commitment. Two years in a row he's done that. There's no decisiveness with respect to the quarterback position.

You could make a case that these are fireable offenses. He's building the program with some good recruiting and I think he's got some good assistants, but they're no closer to winning because of the two issues above. They've been wasting time, not building toward anything.

If those are fireable offenses then so be it. Get him out. Bring in someone that won't make the same mistakes. But if you don't think they're fireable offenses, if you think he can learn from it and all that needs to happen is he needs to catch a break with his quarterback recruiting, then you're giving him through the end of 2016.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

What sucks is at the qb position we have a bad junior transfer, a green true sophomore, and a raw true freshman. Oy vei.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

1. He had no idea what he was going to do at QB when he took the job. Or if he did have a plan, it wasn't a good one.

2. He's not been decisive about that position since coming here. He waffles. He commits to one guy and says this is the guy period, but then he takes that guy out to try another guy. Then he takes that second guy back out to put back in the original guy. He commits to never playing the freshman because he doesn't want to throw him to the wolves, then breaks that commitment. Two years in a row he's done that. There's no decisiveness with respect to the quarterback position.

You could make a case that these are fireable offenses. He's building the program with some good recruiting and I think he's got some good assistants, but they're no closer to winning because of the two issues above. They've been wasting time, not building toward anything.

If those are fireable offenses then so be it. Get him out. Bring in someone that won't make the same mistakes. But if you don't think they're fireable offenses, if you think he can learn from it and all that needs to happen is he needs to catch a break with his quarterback recruiting, then you're giving him through the end of 2016.

Maybe if he'd taken a good look at the qb situation before taking the job, he wouldn't have. How can you blame him for not having a good qb plan, or one at all, when he first took the job?? Plans are implemented by the tools you have available and the best made plans can bomb without the tools.

And as far as not being decisive about that position, have you not being paying attention at all this year to the conversations here. To some he's been decisive to a fault, sticking with White until the fiasco in CIncy. The problem is that neither qb has stepped up definitively to grab hold of the job .... maybe Flowers will do that if given the chance ... and it is still possible that it clicks with one of the other two at some point to take the reins.

Maybe if he'd taken a good look at the qb situation before taking the job, he wouldn't have. How can you blame him for not having a good qb plan, or one at all, when he first took the job?? Plans are implemented by the tools you have available and the best made plans can bomb without the tools.

And as far as not being decisive about that position, have you not being paying attention at all this year to the conversations here. To some he's been decisive to a fault, sticking with White until the fiasco in CIncy. The problem is that neither qb has stepped up definitively to grab hold of the job .... maybe Flowers will do that if given the chance ... and it is still possible that it clicks with one of the other two at some point to take the reins.

Absolutely he should have had some ideas about the quarterback position even heading into the job interview. I'm in equities research. If I go interview for a job and they ask me for some stocks I like in a proposed sector and why, what do you think they'll say to me if my answer is "Hire me, I'll do some paid research, and then I'll let you know."?

And absolutely he's been indecisive about the position. He was indecisive in 2013 and he's been indecisive in 2014.  When you name a starter, you name a starter. Especially when it's a young guy. He screws up and you let him work it out. And when you decide a guy is too young to play, and you acknowledge that you could ruin him by playing him too early, you STICK TO YOUR PRINICPLES. He hasn't done that in either season.

Back in 2013 he talked about his reluctance to put Mike White on the field because he was young, just a true freshman, and he wasn't ready. That lasted about 6 games and then he put him in for the 7th game, had him starting the 8th game. Of course prior to that he names Matt Floyd the starter, and that lasts all of one game, then it's Bobby Eveld, then it's Steven Bench, then it's Bobby Eveld again, and then finally Mike White.

We're re-living that in 2014. Quinton Flowers is a guy that re-defines the term "raw" and he's a true freshman. You don't want him to play this year. So sophomore Mike White is the starter. But by the THIRD GAME you're already coming up with packages for Quinton Flowers? Really? And the kid throws more interceptions than complete passes. Big surprise.

So then you go back to just playing Mike White. He shows improvement against teams like Connecticut and East Carolina. Forget Wisconsin, we were way outclassed in that game and we were lucky to keep it as close as we did. Then against Tulsa, Mike White leads the team on an incredible comeback, drops all those pretty passes right in Andre Davis' lap, and has a day that I'm not sure I've seen a USF quarterback have since B.J. Daniels, if not Matt Grothe.

ONE WEEK LATER...he's benched partway through the Cincinnati game. Oh and then Steven Bench throws a couple of touchdowns against Cincinnati, gives you a little bit of hope there, and ONE WEEK LATER we're already putting that neon green freshman back on the field.

This is not being decisive on the quarterback issue. Just because you're on the internet and you're part of the 60 nanosecond fan cycle of what have you done for me lately, doesn't mean that Willie Taggart would have to be changing quarterbacks every other pass play before fans start to sit back and realize he's even more indecisive and impatient than they are.

For a COACH, Willie Taggart has been quite indecisive about this position for two years. Yes he's working with chicken **** and trying to make it into chicken salad. But he's not doing it as well as he could.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

Absolutely he should have had some ideas about the quarterback position even heading into the job interview. I'm in equities research. If I go interview for a job and they ask me for some stocks I like in a proposed sector and why, what do you think they'll say to me if my answer is "Hire me, I'll do some paid research, and then I'll let you know."?

And absolutely he's been indecisive about the position. He was indecisive in 2013 and he's been indecisive in 2014.  When you name a starter, you name a starter. Especially when it's a young guy. He screws up and you let him work it out. And when you decide a guy is too young to play, and you acknowledge that you could ruin him by playing him too early, you STICK TO YOUR PRINICPLES. He hasn't done that in either season.

Back in 2013 he talked about his reluctance to put Mike White on the field because he was young, just a true freshman, and he wasn't ready. That lasted about 6 games and then he put him in for the 7th game, had him starting the 8th game. Of course prior to that he names Matt Floyd the starter, and that lasts all of one game, then it's Bobby Eveld, then it's Steven Bench, then it's Bobby Eveld again, and then finally Mike White.

We're re-living that in 2014. Quinton Flowers is a guy that re-defines the term "raw" and he's a true freshman. You don't want him to play this year. So sophomore Mike White is the starter. But by the THIRD GAME you're already coming up with packages for Quinton Flowers? Really? And the kid throws more interceptions than complete passes. Big surprise.

So then you go back to just playing Mike White. He shows improvement against teams like Connecticut and East Carolina. Forget Wisconsin, we were way outclassed in that game and we were lucky to keep it as close as we did. Then against Tulsa, Mike White leads the team on an incredible comeback, drops all those pretty passes right in Andre Davis' lap, and has a day that I'm not sure I've seen a USF quarterback have since B.J. Daniels, if not Matt Grothe.

ONE WEEK LATER...he's benched partway through the Cincinnati game. Oh and then Steven Bench throws a couple of touchdowns against Cincinnati, gives you a little bit of hope there, and ONE WEEK LATER we're already putting that neon green freshman back on the field.

This is not being decisive on the quarterback issue. Just because you're on the internet and you're part of the 60 nanosecond fan cycle of what have you done for me lately, doesn't mean that Willie Taggart would have to be changing quarterbacks every other pass play before fans start to sit back and realize he's even more indecisive and impatient than they are.

For a COACH, Willie Taggart has been quite indecisive about this position for two years. Yes he's working with chicken **** and trying to make it into chicken salad. But he's not doing it as well as he could.

So what qb plan would you have had immediately after being hired like he was? He didn't have anything on the roster. It's obvious he was pretty active in going after transfers. Just because he wasn't able to land one that was a home run doesn't mean it wasn't part of a plan to get one... and as far as this year, you're telling me he should have kept White in the Cincy game and then started Houston?? He's indecisive because the players themselves aren't helping him be decisive ... You nailed it with the chicken reference (and please from now, just spell it out and let the filter catch it ... http://thebullspen.com/topic/98490-profanity/ )