• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lose 49-17 and complete 5 passes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

White is a tall, strong armed kid who throws a nice ball in practice when everything is routine.  Put a defense out there that is actually trying to mess with his timing and it all falls apart.  He can throw the ball when things are going well.  At this point in his young career, and he has lots of time to grow, but right now he can't handle visits from Mr Adversity.

Agree 100% here. White has the higher ceiling, but he's not adaptable to a pressure defense. NCSt clearly did their homework.

Armchair comment I know, but it just seems to me if we're going to stick with this offense plan to the death, the QBs should be out there every day snapping the ball and counting to 2. If the ball is not out of their hands and on target before they get to 2, fail. That's about all the time the O line is giving them right now, so any D that plays to pressure & stop the run is going to blast us until we find a way to adapt & overcome.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  88
  • Days Won:  0

White has had 8 starts (excluding Maryland) and I would imagine the vast majority of reps in practice.   Unfortunately it's not working.    I think part of the problem could be that he had a bunch (I think 7 or 8) D1 guys on his team in high school which made him look really good.   It's very different when you have to step up and put it on your shoulders in at the college level.    While he didn't have much help on Saturday from the o line, he was just 5 for 20 in the first half against Western Carolina and we almost lost that game. 

I agree with one of the early posts that mentioned how good Wilson looked in the spring game.    

Go with Bench and eventually give Wilson a look. 

The season is still early and conference play starts this week.    A win over UConn will be a step in the right direction.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

pretty sure bench got a chance last year and was atrocious. we all wanted him to do well but he didnt do anything.

White has been given twice as many chances than Bench, and he still looks like crap too. Bench hasn't been given a fair shot at all.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

pretty sure bench got a chance last year and was atrocious. we all wanted him to do well but he didnt do anything.

Bench got one start with a full week of practice as a starter.  He's come in several times to replace the starter in less than ideal circumstances.  White has only played in games which he was the designated starter and had the entire week to prepare.  The opportunities have not been remotely close to being equal.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

5 completed passes is not going to cut it, Its beyond horrible.  Not all of it is Whites fought, (a lot of it is) Not all on the OLine (a lot of it is).  Majority of it falls on the coaching. Hear me out before thinking Im bashing Coach here.

If you see something isn't working for what ever reason you make adjustments.  (Some might argue Flowers was an adjustment)(it didn't work that well).   Is is lack of Talent? (we should have enough talent to out play WCU easily even if we play school yard football, we barely won the game).

Its preparation and game management and putting the correct players in position to win / compete. We are not prepared. Look at a few other examples of this: On the one kick off late in the game we couldn't even get the proper players on the field to kick off.( they looked lost). Look at the one return after MD scored a TD late in the game( Our kick return guy ran to the sideline, reached to keep the ball in bounds and attempted to run the ball) Why not let it go out of bounds and get the extra yardage?  

These are just a few examples of coaching miscues.   Coach T Needs to wake up.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Bench got one start with a full week of practice as a starter.  He's come in several times to replace the starter in less than ideal circumstances.  White has only played in games which he was the designated starter and had the entire week to prepare.  The opportunities have not been remotely close to being equal.

Bingo.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Pretty sure he's only played any real time in 3 or 4 games total.  Don't know if that is "got a chance last year".

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Bench needs to be the starter. That much is crystal clear.

That said, this situation is among the most pathetic I've seen since I've been watching and evaluating football.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

Steve, did you see Bench last game?

If so, what did you see that gave you any comfort?

His passes hit receivers in the hands, the receivers didn't catch them.

You guys saw a different Bench.

I don't like to get too specific with player thoughts, but he's small and missed a number of passes. That's it. He may be able to scramble, but that's not a game plan.