• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lose 49-17 and complete 5 passes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We may not have the answer currently on the roster.

White's horrendous play should give coaches the motivation to at least see what the other QBs can do.

Exactly.

White never sees the field if Bench was up to taking over the job. he started 2 games before White ever took a snap. perhaps some forget that White was buried at #4 behind Bench on the depth chart last year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Couple of thoughts after reading this.

Bench isn't "short".  Shorter than Mike but Bench is at least 6'2".  Probably 3" taller than Flowers.  I've stood next to all three.

Bench was the starter briefly last year but lost it because of injury - the same reasoning that is keeping White in the starting job didn't keep Bench in the job last year.  Consistent coaching?

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

We were 5 out of 20 in completions while getting blown out......we dont have the answer on the roster

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Bench isn't "short".  Shorter than Mike but Bench is at least 6'2".  Probably 3" taller than Flowers.  I've stood next to all three.

Bench was the starter briefly last year but lost it because of injury - the same reasoning that is keeping White in the starting job didn't keep Bench in the job last year.  Consistent coaching?

he is listed at 6'2"

technically he was injured but he did nothing to win the job while he was playing. Taggart would have gone back to him had he thought he was the better option.

in fact he did in the UofL game when he went 4-12 for 68 yards with a pick the game before Mike White started.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

Bottom line for me is that when Bench is in it seems that the team has more energy.  Bench brings a little juice that White just doesn't seem to have.  At least his mobility can keep plays alive a bit longer.  I think White is a practice star and that CWT is just hoping that at some point it shows in a game.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

he is listed at 6'2"

technically he was injured but he did nothing to win the job while he was playing. Taggart would have gone back to him had he thought he was the better option.

in fact he did in the UofL game when he went 4-12 for 68 yards with a pick the game before Mike White started.

So he's been out producing White since last year?!?

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Hold walkon QB tryouts. Enroll the plant QB.

Seriously there has to be at least 100 students that can outplay white.

I firmly believe this is a coaching and offense problem, not a talent problem at QB.  The QB's in order of best to worst based upon spring/summer practices were:  Wilson, Bench, White, Flowers.  Why has CWT reached to the bottom of our barrel for White and Flowers?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I am not saying this a 10-2 or 9-3 team, but I think there is enough talented, play making athletes on this team, in this conference, to go 6-6.

I don't know if our offensive coaches are smart enough or talented enough to figure out how to organize, game plan and adjust the play calling to get the ball to the play makers.

After watching the replays, I put about 85% of the failures on offense on the coaching staff. Players are not capable of executing the offense. We have now seen the same story over 15 games. Even in wins the offense has been mostly inept.

The coaches need to figure out how to make the offense go. Not just keep trying the same thing and hoping it will change.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

he is listed at 6'2"

Bench threw one pass in his second "start" before being injured.  White has had eight starts.  I'd say White has gotten a far better chance than Bench.  I really cannot comprehend any arguments otherwise.  Clearly White throws a prettier ball.  Just as clearly, Bench is more in control of the huddle and understands what needs to be done.  Bench doesn't get the deer in the headlights look.

Regardless, White has clearly gotten far more opportunities than Bench.  Just as clearly he has not proven that he can do anything with them.  Taggart preaches that you have to produce to be on the field.  But he doesn't practice what he preaches.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

I'm 64 years old; haven't played organized football on any level in nearly 50 years.  I think I can do as good a job at QB as White's performance.  How could I possibly do any worse.   I'm in favor of 'open tryouts' for QB.  Hell,  I could enroll at USF and try out.  This could be my big chance for gridiron glory.

Reminds of when I played in High School.  Our place kicker was so bad, when ever it was time for a field goal, or extra point, attempt, the coach would ask "Any body think they can get it through the uprights?"  If you volunteered, and made it, you became the regular kicker - until you missed.  Then the call went out for another volunteer.