• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lose 49-17 and complete 5 passes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Ah, I see his sarcasm now. As for improvement, let's compare last season to this season so far:

Last season - We lost to a good FCS team; This season - We barely beat a bad FCS team

Last season - We lost to a Big 10 team but played them close; This season - We lost to a Big 10 team but played them close

Last season - We lost badly to a FBS team; This season - We lost badly to a FBS team (Granted this season was to a P5 team, but we lost by more)

The only improvement is in the win column.

Good perspective!...point taken. BUT the win column is the only thing that matters in all of that. If CWT can motivate these kids enough, we could find more wins on the schedule than this moment would make it seem. Lots of ball left to play.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

We have no quarterbacking on this team. The offensive line is garbage.

But, but 47 guys set new personal highs in lifting this year.  A bunch of us said at that time that meant diddly.  Unfortunately we were right.

Be patient, I've been repeatedly told it's going to take 7 years for CWT to drive the Holtz out of this team and get his own recruits in.

7 years?  No one is going to be willing to wait 7 years unless they see steady improvement.  So far, I haven't seen any improvement. 

He was being sarcastic....as usual

If we don't see improvement by year 3...there is a big problem. We should see SOME improvement this year...I mean...hell we are already 1/2 way to our win total last year...as pathetic as that is. 

I'm at a loss to pick out one area in which we are noticeably better this year than last, with the exception of new talent. But recruiting isn't the same as coaching.

We're creating more turnovers, so that's good, I guess. But our DBs look completely lost at times. Our line isn't exactly lighting it up with pressure. We miss too many tackels. On offense, what is there to say? Mack had a career game against a subpar FCS team and thats about it for highlights. We still commit dumb penalties. We still can't pass for ****. Our TEs (supposed to be a focal point of the offense) are MIA. CWT has had an entire Spring, Summer, full season, Spring, summer, and a 1/4 of a another season and the results this morning are a second nominee to the debate over "worst loss in program history."

I'd agree that we don't have much to look at right now, I guess we are all just hoping something "clicks" with this team and they turn it around to a respectable season...guess we will see come November..

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

But, but 47 guys set new personal highs in lifting this year.  A bunch of us said at that time that meant diddly.  Unfortunately we were right.

Be patient, I've been repeatedly told it's going to take 7 years for CWT to drive the Holtz out of this team and get his own recruits in.

7 years?  No one is going to be willing to wait 7 years unless they see steady improvement.  So far, I haven't seen any improvement. 

If we don't see improvement by year 3...there is a big problem. We should see SOME improvement this year...I mean...hell we are already 1/2 way to our win total last year...as pathetic as that is. 

I'm at a loss to pick out one area in which we are noticeably better this year than last, with the exception of new talent. But recruiting isn't the same as coaching.

We're creating more turnovers, so that's good, I guess. But our DBs look completely lost at times. Our line isn't exactly lighting it up with pressure. We miss too many tackels. On offense, what is there to say? Mack had a career game against a subpar FCS team and thats about it for highlights. We still commit dumb penalties. We still can't pass for ****. Our TEs (supposed to be a focal point of the offense) are MIA. CWT has had an entire Spring, Summer, full season, Spring, summer, and a 1/4 of a another season and the results this morning are a second nominee to the debate over "worst loss in program history."

I'm with ya. Major red flag that Taggart has had this much time to teach and execute this great "Stanford" offense and it's just been a nightmare. How long does he need? And by how long does he need I don't mean how long does he need to make this offense click on all cylinders and be a really good offense. I understand he needs more than 2 recruiting classes to give him a realistic chance at having that happen and have "his guys" be upper classmen. I mean how long does he need to get the offense to play consistently and average 14-20 points a game and complete more than 5 passes in a blowout? It's just ridiculous. 

Good coaching to me is something like what Frank Solich did at Ohio. The guy had run nothing but the triple option for 30 years and scrapped his entire system in one year when he realized it wasn't going to work. He sent out his assistants to learn the pistol as a way to bridge the gap for a few years with the talent he had on hand before switching to a pistol/spread hybrid. Not to mention, the guy installed a triple option in the first place and had it clicking in year two on his way to a 9 win season. I have to imagine learning and executing the triple option when you've previously been a pro-style team is as hard as what we're trying to do.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'll give you one area.  Ciabatti is a stud out there at punter.  Last year he was inconsistent and had me concerned at times.  But the rest of the team was so bad it didn't really matter.  This year he has really impressed me.  Dude has a leg, and he's been very consistent.

LOL ARE WE REALLY TALKING UP OUR PUNTER? IS THIS REAL LIFE???

tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390-280x207.jpg

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Is there any other area that you have seen improvement in?

Is there any other area that you have seen improvement in?

Nope, sadly. 

Although I am happy that we have RB's that are of proper size for college football now. And turnovers are great....I'm sure they'd be even more fun if we could capitalize on them. 

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

I did not realize that we only completed 5 passes, that is incredible! 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Well  here is my two cents.....

Got to see some great QB play on Saturday....Jacoby Brissett is really really good.  If we face any more QBs of that caliber the rest of the year be prepared to get lite up again.

Mike White had no chance.  NC State had push up the middle and from the edges.  Our OL looked really really bad.  How bad ?  Even if we had Jacoby playing for us I don't think we would have won.

On the long pass by Flowers it was actually a pretty good pass.  Problem was Andre Davis was not there to catch it.  Flowers put the ball right where a WR like Davis would have gotten the ball but Andre was on the bench  and it became an INT which it never should have.

A real head scratcher was seeing Flowers come in the game after Whites beautiful TD pass ....run the ball twice and then on third and two - when I for one would want my mobile QB on the field - CWT puts White back in.....I just really did not understand that call at all.

Our kicking game is awesome - punting and FG which if we have any close games should help a lot.

Chris Dunkley has done a very good job on returns and is a true threat to take it to the house but he also is smart as to when to just let it go.

Our D-line failed to put much pressure on Brissett and that made our secondary look worse then it may really be.

I didn't see many adjustments after half-time and I can't say for sure if they made some and couldn't execute or they just continued with the same game plan.

Could be a long season.

Edited by dabull80

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

It's seems impossible to me that this coaching staff in two years has not developed a serviceable offense. Regardless of the talent level,it's the coaches job to find the strengths and use them. Isn't this the most experienced OL in the confrence and USF has only had ONE SUSTAINED DRIVE IN THREE GAMES. I was really hoping for a change in expectations from CSH era but it seems CWT is exactly the same. It's great to be positive but it's time to affirm the truth and the truth is the offense is terrible , players are not giving great effort because IMO they have no confidence in the game plan and the COACHES are not recognizing the problems and making the Changes . Every team they play employs the same defensive strategy put 8 men in the box to stop the run on 1st and 2nd down and play press coverage on the outside PUTTING PRESSURE ON ON USF WEAKEST POSITION THE QB.

What about play action on first down till they force the defense to change ie use the pass to set up the run that may take some of the pressure off the QB. AT THIS POINT THEY HAVE TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same over and over and expecting different results. This coaching staff is starting to look insane to me.