• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who Still Thinks Willie Taggart is the coach of the future?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Game plan(ning) sucked:  F

Game time adjustments:  D  (F but late comeback saved the grade)

White:  With minimal pass rush he looked out of sync, rushed throws, late on throws, inaccurate:  D-

Defense:  C-

Offense:   D  

Dunkley - nice job on his first start:  B+

The "other" CB opposite Dunkely:  D

Harris:  A

Sanchez: B+

Mack:  A+

Rest of The Team:  D

Team resolve:  B

"Win":  A+....priceless (any Win gets an A+)

Kloss A

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Some other things to put in perspective:

1.) 4 offensive TDs last night, we had 11 last year...total

2.) 4 rushing TDs last night. We had 4 last year, total.

3.) We won our home opener, last year...we did not

4.) At one point we were up 30-17, if the game ended there...would people have been satisfied?

Comparing last night to last year, the worse offense in college football...priceless.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I watched the replay and I feel a better on some things I saw.

1. This team looked flat for most of the game I think they just were not up for playing WCU. (not sure how you don't get up for the first game of the season)…they were going thru the motions (atleast most of the players).

it wasn't till we took the lead late in the 3rd quarter you can see the defense went up several notches and looked much better for a few

series then after up 30-17 they went back into a prevent defense and they turned down the intensity.

2. White did look bad most of the game but late in the 3rd and early 4th he did put together a good series with a few good passes. 

He just looked like he was having a bad game…but if he looks the same vs Maryland need to put in Bench earlier. 

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

It will interesting to see what WCU does with a performance like last night?  I wouldn't pay attention to their next game as I feel they will be a little let down, but maybe this Catamount squad is ready to take off.

As for us, obviously White was all over the place.  He made a couple beautiful throws, but boy that third down shoe-shiner pass to Sean Price really stuck out to me.  Terrible.  Hopefully he settles down and has a good week of preparation.  Bench's one pass was a completion, yes, but he missed a wide open receiver outside.  Those calling for Flowers will be disappointed because I'm not sure he sees significant time this year (as much as I would like to see him play as well).  

Big Mack was a beast.  D'Ernest looked strong too in the limited time he had.  It's a shame Tice is injured, because he may have just gotten buried on the chart.  The OLine got off to a slow start but seemed to gel later on (WCU fatigue probably a factor as well).  My one worry for Mack is the fumbles.  That first fumble was a good defensive play, but that second one he had the ball in the wrong hand.  Freshman mistake, hopefully.  But not many freshman lead the nation in rushing after his debut.  

Rodney Adams looked really good!  Bronson will work his way in.  I'm guessing Tyre McCants is being redshirted.  Sean Price should've lead the team in receiving, but obvious reasons prevented that.

Defensive game plan looked very vanilla.  Very few blitzes, if any, which is rare for a 3-4 defense.  Angry Byrd had a great game.  What the hell did Lamar Robbins do to lose so much PT?  Maybe convert him to a pass-rush LB now?  He has the size.  But also, at least as far as I know, we won't face an offense like this, except NC State.  ECU, SMU, Tulsa, and Houston all run pass-heavy offenses.  Cincy and UCF run a power spread.  Memphis too, I believe.  Maryland, Wisconsin, and UCONN will be west-coast power run heavy squads.  So maybe this D just has a weakness against a read-option offense.  

Overall, although I'm not very confident, I feel that this team will be much more focused and charged up from here on out.  Our remaining games are against either P5 teams or conference foes.  No more excuse to come out flat or unprepared.  I am a fan of the 3-4 defense, especially the Prowl formation, which we showed a few times.  Should you be frustrated?  Yes.  Should you panic?  Hell no. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

Some other things to put in perspective:

1.) 4 offensive TDs last night, we had 11 last year...total

2.) 4 rushing TDs last night. We had 4 last year, total.

3.) We won our home opener, last year...we did not

4.) At one point we were up 30-17, if the game ended there...would people have been satisfied?

Comparing last night to last year, the worse offense in college football...priceless.

You apparently don't understand the concept of "perspective" ...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011

Now that I've slept on it, I'm not nearly as upset as I was last night.

It was many of our players first college game ever. We went down quickly but after that the defense held them while Mack got us back in the game. White was 5-19 in the first half and 4-8 in the second half. Obviously not where we want to be but it could have gone much worse.

We DID find a running back in Mack. Rodney Adams looked good. As did some members of our D.

Lastly, we certainly weren't the only fbs team to half a close call last night. WCU will not be a 2-10 this year. 

I fully expect a loss from Maryland. However, the score of their first game is misleading. Their offense wasn't much better than ours.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

Now that I've slept on it, I'm not nearly as upset as I was last night.

It was many of our players first college game ever. We went down quickly but after that the defense held them while Mack got us back in the game. White was 5-19 in the first half and 4-8 in the second half. Obviously not where we want to be but it could have gone much worse.

We DID find a running back in Mack. Rodney Adams looked good. As did some members of our D.

Lastly, we certainly weren't the only fbs team to half a close call last night. WCU will not be a 2-10 this year.

I fully expect a loss from Maryland. However, the score of their first game is misleading. Their offense wasn't much better than ours.

Was Maryland playing WCU or any team with their record??

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Who is harris?

Soph LB Nigel Harris. #57

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  342

Definitely disappointed in last night, but we have the opportunity to improve. We are still a young team. QB play needs to step up and that can come with more experience. Hopefully, this doesn't bite us all season.

The defense was the biggest disappointment for me, however. Not to take anything away from WCU's QB, but he should not have done that well. Yes, he looked good but I've never seen so much cushion between the DBs and WRs. This needs to tighten up ASAP.

I'd like to chalk this up to first game jitters and I'll wait to see how we look in the next couple weeks before freaking out. White is a smart kid, but he's still really young. Towards the end of the game when USF took the lead, he looked like a different QB. If we have that as our baseline, we just might be ok...