• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF hires Orlando Antigua to coach mens basketball

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

1) We grab a winning coach from a winning D-1 program with a big bag of money.

2) We grab an NCAA-Tourney coach from a small school.

"You had a great run in the tournament. What are you going to do now?"

"I'm going to Tampa and working for South Florida!"

3) We grab an assistant from a winning program. This is another experiment. It's hope basketball. Not an upgrade from Stan Heath.

4) We recycle a TV/retired/fired guy who hasn't coached in at least one season. NO! Please, no!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USF tried. We can't blame our school for that. It's not like this was the hire the day after Stan was let go. Those bones under the Sun Dome really worked their magic this time.

Well, this hire is a gamble. Who knows how it will turn out? But maybe KU will win the National Championship and some of that will rub off on our new head coach as he starts at USF right after that. Can't hurt.

I'm thinking we'll see better basketball at USF. I mean how can this hire make USF basketball worse??? Haven't we been through it all, Bulls???

But if he's getting over a million a year, that would be paying too much for hope-ball.

Do remember that we have facilities now. This will make it easier for him than past hires.

Over all, it's been another very bad year of USF men's basketball. I'm ready for the off season. Amen.

Bad Karma ... 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Does anyone think the search firm failed miserably? Let's discount the hire for instance. Was there any secrecy whatsoever in the search? The financial figures were disclosed multiple times to the public. The potential candidates were always out in the media for everyone to scrutinize. Just kinda disappointed on the lack of confidentiality. Maybe my poor feelings to the search firm have boiled over and relate to the hire. Who knows - Antigua could be the greatest thing since sliced bread and I'm being abnormally harsh. However my instincts typically don't deceive me. Guess we'll find out. On board as always - doesn't mean I have to like it. Would have rather had Mussleman. I do prefer Antigua over the UNLV coach. I read nothing positive about him.  

At least you found something else to gripe and moan about...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

My guess is he gets Masiello money. $1.2 mil.

Tough to lower once it's out and still get a decent guy signed.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

It's funny seeing people hating on the hire and calling him a **** after spending 7 seasons watch nice guy Stan and 3 years watching Skip.

We don't need a nice guy. We need a winner, and he's been around plenty of them. I think he deserves a chance.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

About the search firm...

Would you rather that we had the Masiello press conference then a week later when the transcripts don't show up, we pull a ND-O'liar?

I think that 60K was cheap for the head-on collision that it stopped for USF.

We trust people not to lie. Masiello lied and could have really put a dent on USF as being fools.

It's all over now (this guy has a legit degree, right?).

My hope now lies with the football team! Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

It's funny seeing people hating on the hire and calling him a **** after spending 7 seasons watch nice guy Stan and 3 years watching Skip.

We don't need a nice guy. We need a winner, and he's been around plenty of them. I think he deserves a chance.

I was drawn to Masiello, B. Williams due to their assertive demeanor when coaching.

I was skeptical of Rice - because he seemed more passive. 

I am happy so far with COA's reputation. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Whatever, I am so drained from this mess that I don't care who coaches this team; just start winning games.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  1

It's pretty impressive to see the reaction of UK fans.

Generally their posts say they are upset to see him leave, but wish him the best of luck because they all knew this day was coming. Many are openly wishing he stays on throughout the UK's time in the tournament. I don't think any of the other candidates had this much positive energy surrounding them. 

No matter what he does with this team, I will always think this appeared to be the right hire at the time it occurred. Normally I am down on Genshaft, but she and Harlan pulled this one out after a disastrous start. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Whatever, I am so drained from this mess that I don't care who coaches this team; just start winning games.

See, next time take that approach BEFORE the hiring process starts and you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel .... of course, that would mean avoiding Twitter during that time.  ;)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

I like the hire. Time to take a risk.