• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF hires Orlando Antigua to coach mens basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Porque..USF?

"Por que," not "porque"... Yes, it matters... :)

I thought he was saying "because," not "why." :)

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

. Maybe letting a young assistant take over will appease the burial grounds.

Only a Guatemalan Shaman can do that. I'm working on importing a witch doctor before the start of the next basketball season.

I would chip in for that.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

Porque..USF?

Lol, usf hires an fires Manhattan. Hire Puerto Rico, we are porque.go bulls

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

Porque..USF?

I thought he was saying "because," not "why." :)

Lol why I am

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I like this guy's story if nothing else he's got that

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,983
  • Days Won:  12

Do we root for Kentucky through the tournament? 

I sure as hell am. We want him to show that ring off baby! Bring it home to Tampa coach! 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I sure as hell am. We want him to show that ring off baby! Bring it home to Tampa coach!

Rooting for UK us a spousal duty for some of us.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

Can't do it ... Worst remaining scenario is a UF-UK final ... and doesn't he already have a ring?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Funny, USF is now quoting Seth: Tremendous Hire! First class person and coach! LOL

BkF3tdSCUAAD2k7.jpg

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I love how many, "experts" we have on here.  The guy played at Pittsburgh and has coached at Pittsburgh, Memphis, and Kentucky!  Three of the best basketball programs out there.

Tony Barbee, Steve Roccaforte, Chuck Martin, Bruiser Flint...all failed coaches from the Calipari tree.

Kellogg is the only one that's done OK.

In all fairness to Tony Barbee while at UTEP he did better then Derek Kellogg has at UMASS in basically the same time frame. Barbee later got the Auburn job and if you follow the SEC and Mid South basketball like I have, you should know that Auburn is a tough place to win at. The recruiting base just isn't there and the SEC is a lot tougher then CUSA. To have a chance to win at Auburn on a consistent bases, you have to have a head coach that name carries merit. Enter Bruce Pearl and even he'll have a little challenge coaching the Tigers but that's the only type of head coach that can possibly turn that program around.

Roccaforte  being judged by what his record was at Lamar is kinda unfair don't you think? Look losing is unacceptable, but my goodness Lamar hasn't enjoyed back to back 20 wins seasons since the great days of Pat Foster in the early 1980s. Even big game Billy Tubbs only managed two 20 win seasons at Lamar and that was back in the late 1970s. Lamar is a fine university but it's far from being the mecca of CBB.

Chuck Martin only spent 2 seasons with Coach Cal and again we aren't talking about a taking over a school that has a long history of sustained success. The Marist Red Foxes have only been to 2 NCAATs in their entire history, which came back in the mid 1980s. Again losing is unacceptable but it's not like Martin walked into a situation where he was taking over some decent program that had enjoyed recent success.

Bruiser Flint was giving an impossible situation. He was asked to follow Calipari at UMASS which brought extreme pressure that the young Flint wasn't ready for. Still between UMASS and now Drexel, Bruiser Flint has been to the postseason 8 times and been Conference COY 5 times. Drexel is not a program with a tradition of winning big, but in his 13 seasons there he has only finished below .500 in league play twice. While he hasn't been overwhelming people with national success, he certainly hasn't been awful, been very respectful imo.

So basically the failures of Calipari assistants is somewhat overblown be you because of some of the factors listed above. If the USF job was like it was when Heath took over then yes Orlando Antigua would not be the hire to make. However this job is a lot better now in the post Stan Heath era, that a guy like Antigua can win here and win big. IF he can recruit the fertile state of Florida like I have always said and former NBA player turned HS coach Chucky Atkins has said, then USF and Antigua and do some big things together. 

Frankly being a Memphis Tiger fan like yourself, you have seen first hand what a coach can do that is a great recruiter and not much of a floor coach. Josh Pastner is the best example of that in all of CBB, as he is a dynamite recruiter but below average head coach. He's done pretty good for himself and I believe Antigua can at least do what Pastner has if he can indeed recruit as good as advertised. We shall see.

Edited by Vega