• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF hires Orlando Antigua to coach mens basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Does anyone think the search firm failed miserably? Let's discount the hire for instance. Was there any secrecy whatsoever in the search? The financial figures were disclosed multiple times to the public. The potential candidates were always out in the media for everyone to scrutinize. Just kinda disappointed on the lack of confidentiality. Maybe my poor feelings to the search firm have boiled over and relate to the hire. Who knows - Antigua could be the greatest thing since sliced bread and I'm being abnormally harsh. However my instincts typically don't deceive me. Guess we'll find out. On board as always - doesn't mean I have to like it. Would have rather had Mussleman. I do prefer Antigua over the UNLV coach. I read nothing positive about him.  

What did those instincts say about Seth?

Zing! :FIREdevil:

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

Here were our realistic options and the concerns:

A successful coach from a smaller program - will he translate to the higher level of competition?

An assistant from a top school - how will the transition to head coach go?

Either way, we are USF, a school not know for our basketball prowess.  We have to take a chance and hope that it works out.

This times a million.   It really doesn't matter who we hired, there were going to be question marks.  I'm willing to give it a chance.  I would much rather have Antigua then Heath right now.   Heath was here for 7 years, it was pretty clear what we were going to get from him at this point and it wasn't anything spectacular.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I am underwhelmed

my expectations for the program have been lowered

certainly not a household name or someone with an accomplished resume

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

No head coaching experience (besides DR team) no good. Going to have to learn how to be HC on the job. We're up for some MAJOR MAJOR growing pains. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

USF Men's Basketball is proud to welcome Orlando Antigua as the 9th Head Coach in program history. #GoBulls

10154892_10152347043744600_606226297_n.j

Young, assistant from outside the program... Something USF men's hoops have never had ... Roll out the ball and see what happens.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone think the search firm failed miserably? Let's discount the hire for instance. Was there any secrecy whatsoever in the search? The financial figures were disclosed multiple times to the public. The potential candidates were always out in the media for everyone to scrutinize. Just kinda disappointed on the lack of confidentiality. Maybe my poor feelings to the search firm have boiled over and relate to the hire. Who knows - Antigua could be the greatest thing since sliced bread and I'm being abnormally harsh. However my instincts typically don't deceive me. Guess we'll find out. On board as always - doesn't mean I have to like it. Would have rather had Mussleman. I do prefer Antigua over the UNLV coach. I read nothing positive about him.  

Agreed on the search firm. I just don't get the whole concept. Isn't hiring supposed to be a big part of what an AD does? And since Harlan was the primary hoops AD at UCLA, shouldn't he have had a good pulse on the "industry" and who is out there? Could they have found Orlando Antigua at UK without paying a search firm $60,000? Hell, I'd never heard of Steve Masiello, but after watching Manhattan play Louisville, my brother and I looked at each other and said, "USF should check that guy out." Like you, I know I'm going to take heat from my fellow Bulls who want to look on the brighter side. I want to look on the brighter side, too. I want Antigua to succeed in the worst way. I've followed USF hoops religiously since I was a freshman in 1984. I know all the names and faces from the past 30 years of USF hoops. But, like the Sheriff, my gut tells me this was not the hire to move us forward. I had the same strong feeling when they announced the hirings of Robert McCullum and Lelo Prado, was wishy-washy about Skip Holtz (love Willie Taggart, so that one remains to be seen) so the intestinal track record is pretty good. I wish Orlando Antigua the very best and I'll be in the Sun Dome watching like I always am, but I won't have a lot of patience with this one. Stan's leaving two all-freshman bigs behind. The facilities are great. The conference is a better competitive match. It's not rebuilding time again. It's time to win now.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

What did those instincts say about Seth?

Zing! :FIREdevil:

You know it had to be asked ....  ;)

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

From the TBO article:

Antigua said in the news release. “I look forward to renewing my strong connections in the state of Florida and can’t wait to begin working towards our future success.â€

Any ideas what those are?  I hadnt seen anything tying him to the state

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636

Great hire! Good leader, good recruiter, and he is young. He overcame hardships in his life which some players may relate with. And he is a Latino. Pave the way!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Here were our realistic options and the concerns:

A successful coach from a smaller program - will he translate to the higher level of competition?

An assistant from a top school - how will the transition to head coach go?

Either way, we are USF, a school not know for our basketball prowess.  We have to take a chance and hope that it works out.

This times a million.   It really doesn't matter who we hired, there were going to be question marks.  I'm willing to give it a chance.  I would much rather have Antigua then Heath right now.   Heath was here for 7 years, it was pretty clear what we were going to get from him at this point and it wasn't anything spectacular.

+1