• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF hires Orlando Antigua to coach mens basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I think it's a rule you have to have a coach, sort of like how they won't let you leave the hospital without giving your baby a name.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Antigua has worked as an assistant coach under John Calipari for the last six seasons, spending one season with Calipari at Memphis (2008-09) and the last five at Kentucky (2009-14). He also worked for five seasons under Pittsburgh’s Jamie Dixon (2003-08) and has been a part of teams that have made 10 NCAA Tournament appearances and reached the Sweet Sixteen seven times.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Who cares if you can recruit if you can't coach the talent - no track record on his head coaching experience and we now become the test grounds for him. How hard is it to recruit for Kentucky? Seriously. We paid how much to this search firm? USF isn't even in the same zip code with respect to Kentucky on any level with regards to hoops. Recruiting for USF hoops is not the same as recruiting for Kentucky hoops. Looks like the losing will continue - but at least we have diversity covered. I mean - what could Eric Mussleman really offer our program? Fail, fail, fail. And the misery continues...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

NT

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

All,

I am excited at the new hire, all of us are on the outside looking in, NONE of us know what he is like in person.

I am sure Mark Harlan wants to succeed at his position.  Try to have a positive outlook, can he be worse than Stan???

Thx

jonpfl

Can he be worse than Stan? Absolutely. I'm not saying he will be, but Stan gave us two of the four 20-win seasons in USF hoops history. Was Robert McCullum worse than Stan. Oh, yeah. So, can Antigua be worse than Stan? For our sakes, let's hope not, but yes, it's possible for him to be worse.

• Content Count:  1

Kentucky fan here wanted to say congrats on the hire. You never know how an assistant will turn out, but you cant just link him to cal, he also coached under jamie dixon who no one seems to take issue with. All I can tell you is he played a huge role in getting big guys to kentucky anthony davis, nerlens noel, terrence jones to name a few. You may think anybody can recruit one and dones to kentucky but we have missed our fair share with shabazz muhammed, wiggins, kyrie irving. One thing I wanted to say is in hearing recruits talk they mention coach o about as often as they mention cal or kentucky as reasons for committing. Also as for being called a jerk by the memphis fan, this coaching staff at kentucky and the players too do so much for the community and put up with a crazy fan base and it is always done with a smile on their face. They are good people regardless of what people want to believe about cal and his past. The players go to class(highest apr in sec) they are at the childrens hospital nearly every weekend. Raised a million dollars in a telethon for haiti earthquake and nearly that much in another for floods in eastern kentucky. It is about more than basketball for these coaches.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

I love how many, "experts" we have on here.  The guy played at Pittsburgh and has coached at Pittsburgh, Memphis, and Kentucky!  Three of the best basketball programs out there.

Tony Barbee, Steve Roccaforte, Chuck Martin, Bruiser Flint...all failed coaches from the Calipari tree.

Kellogg is the only one that's done OK.

Cool Story Bro.

Not if you're a USF fan, bro.

Someone's still bitter that Calipari dumped his school for UK.  I'd ask Coach Cal for comment but he is prepping for the final four (again).

Memphis has been a disappointment since it parted ways with Calipari too.

Uh, we could have hired Antigua, Barbee, or Kellogg...there's very good reason we didn't.

If I were angry at Calipari, why would I be upset you hired one of his asst coaches? You didn't hire Cal.

Guess i don't follow that "logic"

The 'logic' says you care enough to post on this thread when it doesn't really relate to anything Memphis other than the fact that Calipari once coached there and we have now hired his assistant.  Therefore, the Calipari assistant bashing makes you like you are holding a grudge.

The fact that you responded so seriously to my 'Cool Story Bro' pretty much shows you that 'logic' as well.

• Content Count:  45

Who cares if you can recruit if you can't coach the talent - no track record on his head coaching experience and we now become the test grounds for him. How hard is it to recruit for Kentucky? Seriously. We paid how much to this search firm? USF isn't even in the same zip code with respect to Kentucky on any level with regards to hoops. Recruiting for USF hoops is not the same as recruiting for Kentucky hoops. Looks like the losing will continue - but at least we have diversity covered. I mean - what could Eric Mussleman really offer our program? Fail, fail, fail. And the misery continues...

I'm solidly in the Sheriff's posse on this one. I'll show my support in the stands, but this guy needs to prove things fast. If he keeps this team intact with Perry, Egbunu, Allen, etc., has a healthy AC and brings in Holston and another player or two, there is NO REASON he shouldn't win games next year. There is no reason for a Willie Taggart-like rookie season for Antigua.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

A lot of hurt butts around here.  This program needs to take a swing for the fences, which they do with this hire.  No one can say how this one will turn out, but I credit the AD for giving this program a chance to break out of mediocrity and not making a 'safe hire'.  

Tiger fan spreading worthless info like, oh hes a jerk but hasnt offered 1 substantive piece of info as to why he wont succeed.  Unlike that program, our best days are AHEAD of us and this guy gives a chance to get there with his big school successes.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123

I'm solidly in the Sheriff's posse on this one. I'll show my support in the stands, but this guy needs to prove things fast. If he keeps this team intact with Perry, Egbunu, Allen, etc., has a healthy AC and brings in Holston and another player or two, there is NO REASON he shouldn't win games next year. There is no reason for a Willie Taggart-like rookie season for Antigua.

I agree, USF should have a very good season next year with what they have plus what they are bringing in.

Also, with Josh Heath leaving, does that mean we have a free scholarship?  Are there actually any players left out there who USF can offer?  Or is it too late and all the talent has signed?

Thx

jonpfl