• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF hires Orlando Antigua to coach mens basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I love how many, "experts" we have on here.  The guy played at Pittsburgh and has coached at Pittsburgh, Memphis, and Kentucky!  Three of the best basketball programs out there.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

USF Men's Basketball is proud to welcome Orlando Antigua as the 9th Head Coach in program history. #GoBulls

10154892_10152347043744600_606226297_n.j

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Great Hire!  Comes from a great program.  He will be able to sell the program to get quality recruits to USF and coach them up.  I suggest that the USF fan base give the guy a chance to turn around the basketball program.  I'm never amazed at the shallow thinking of my fellow board members that post here, OA in my opinion is the best option for USF, "Larry Bird is not walking through the door".

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298

I love how many, "experts" we have on here.  The guy played at Pittsburgh and has coached at Pittsburgh, Memphis, and Kentucky!  Three of the best basketball programs out there.

Tony Barbee, Steve Roccaforte, Chuck Martin, Bruiser Flint...all failed coaches from the Calipari tree.

Kellogg is the only one that's done OK.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

At least it was not Pelphrey

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

usfvictor: The NBA is obviously complicit, but again, you know the recruiting pitch at Kentucky is a simple one: "Come here for a year or two and we'll make you an NBA lottery pick." You know when USF officially announces the hire, Antigua's "recruiting prowess" is going to be at the top of the news release. How does that translate for him at USF? That was the selling point for hiring Willie Taggart, but he was recruiting at Stanford and Western Kentucky where there were challenges. It's not the same atmosphere - and we have absolutely no idea if he can make a decision as a floor coach. I'd probably look pretty good too if I had a roster full of McDonald's All-Americans. How does he recruit and coach players who don't have that kind of talent level, because that's what he'll have at USF? We'll find out and maybe he'll be great, but there's not a thing on his resume to me that relates to the situation he's walking into at USF. Bottom line is the same to me - if you were going to give up on Stan Heath, you'd better bring in someone with a track record that says he has a good chance of getting it done. I don't see anything that says that with Antigua. All I see is a guy who's followed Calipari around.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

usfvictor: The NBA is obviously complicit, but again, you know the recruiting pitch at Kentucky is a simple one: "Come here for a year or two and we'll make you an NBA lottery pick." You know when USF officially announces the hire, Antigua's "recruiting prowess" is going to be at the top of the news release. How does that translate for him at USF? That was the selling point for hiring Willie Taggart, but he was recruiting at Stanford and Western Kentucky where there were challenges. It's not the same atmosphere - and we have absolutely no idea if he can make a decision as a floor coach. I'd probably look pretty good too if I had a roster full of McDonald's All-Americans. How does he recruit and coach players who don't have that kind of talent level, because that's what he'll have at USF? We'll find out and maybe he'll be great, but there's not a thing on his resume to me that relates to the situation he's walking into at USF. Bottom line is the same to me - if you were going to give up on Stan Heath, you'd better bring in someone with a track record that says he has a good chance of getting it done. I don't see anything that says that with Antigua. All I see is a guy who's followed Calipari around.

Agreed. We would have done much better hiring a small school D-1 coach that has a history of developing talent.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761

Tony Barbee, Steve Roccaforte, Chuck Martin, Bruiser Flint...all failed coaches from the Calipari tree.

i get that, but you can't just predict his future outcomes based on others results.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738

Cool Story Bro.