• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF hires Orlando Antigua to coach mens basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

We just hired an assistant coach from the University of Kentucky that has gone to 4 of the last 5 Final 4s...... 

I am ok with this hire

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

Kentucky fan here wanted to say congrats on the hire. You never know how an assistant will turn out, but you cant just link him to cal, he also coached under jamie dixon who no one seems to take issue with. All I can tell you is he played a huge role in getting big guys to kentucky anthony davis, nerlens noel, terrence jones to name a few. You may think anybody can recruit one and dones to kentucky but we have missed our fair share with shabazz muhammed, wiggins, kyrie irving. One thing I wanted to say is in hearing recruits talk they mention coach o about as often as they mention cal or kentucky as reasons for committing. Also as for being called a jerk by the memphis fan, this coaching staff at kentucky and the players too do so much for the community and put up with a crazy fan base and it is always done with a smile on their face. They are good people regardless of what people want to believe about cal and his past. The players go to class(highest apr in sec) they are at the childrens hospital nearly every weekend. Raised a million dollars in a telethon for haiti earthquake and nearly that much in another for floods in eastern kentucky. It is about more than basketball for these coaches.

Thanks for sharing some inside feelings and positive feel.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

I love how many, "experts" we have on here.  The guy played at Pittsburgh and has coached at Pittsburgh, Memphis, and Kentucky!  Three of the best basketball programs out there.

Tony Barbee, Steve Roccaforte, Chuck Martin, Bruiser Flint...all failed coaches from the Calipari tree.

Kellogg is the only one that's done OK.

Cool Story Bro.

Not if you're a USF fan, bro.

Someone's still bitter that Calipari dumped his school for UK.  I'd ask Coach Cal for comment but he is prepping for the final four (again).

Memphis has been a disappointment since it parted ways with Calipari too.

Uh, we could have hired Antigua, Barbee, or Kellogg...there's very good reason we didn't.

If I were angry at Calipari, why would I be upset you hired one of his asst coaches? You didn't hire Cal.

Guess i don't follow that "logic"

The 'logic' says you care enough to post on this thread when it doesn't really relate to anything Memphis other than the fact that Calipari once coached there and we have now hired his assistant.  Therefore, the Calipari assistant bashing makes you like you are holding a grudge.

The fact that you responded so seriously to my 'Cool Story Bro' pretty much shows you that 'logic' as well.

I guess you didn't get the memo...the BE is dead...you share a conference with us...we beat you in football and basketball...and I was kinda hoping you guys would get a good coach.

Hell, Houston is about to hire Kelvin Sampson.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Musselman is a true blue x and o coach with lots of head coaching experience.

We know nothing about this guys coaching ability. I hope he does lots of winning.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754

I hope we paid him in the $500K range per season. No experience, no big contract.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

Kentucky fan here wanted to say congrats on the hire. You never know how an assistant will turn out, but you cant just link him to cal, he also coached under jamie dixon who no one seems to take issue with. All I can tell you is he played a huge role in getting big guys to kentucky anthony davis, nerlens noel, terrence jones to name a few. You may think anybody can recruit one and dones to kentucky but we have missed our fair share with shabazz muhammed, wiggins, kyrie irving. One thing I wanted to say is in hearing recruits talk they mention coach o about as often as they mention cal or kentucky as reasons for committing. Also as for being called a jerk by the memphis fan, this coaching staff at kentucky and the players too do so much for the community and put up with a crazy fan base and it is always done with a smile on their face. They are good people regardless of what people want to believe about cal and his past. The players go to class(highest apr in sec) they are at the childrens hospital nearly every weekend. Raised a million dollars in a telethon for haiti earthquake and nearly that much in another for floods in eastern kentucky. It is about more than basketball for these coaches.

Thanks for dropping by with the congrats, but my biggest concern is right there in your post. None of the kids you mention that were recruited to UK - or misses by UK - are the types that will give USF a sniff, even with Orlando Antigua. We're not selling the same thing. So if we're hiring him strictly based on his track record of bringing in those types of players, it's a failure from the get-go. USF hasn't and won't (with Antigua) work in the same recruiting circles that include names like Noel, Davis, Wiggins, Irving. He's going to have to find players on the second tier and be able to develop them. Can he do that? We have absolutely no idea and neither do you, even though you've had him on your staff. It's never been part of his job description. Now it most definitely is.

Edited by USFDaveG
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

You apparently don't realize that we have a number of Miss Cleos on this board .... If you ask nice maybe they'll give you some lottery numbers.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754

Seriously Bulls1181. I have some ocean front property in Arizona that I can sell you as well.