• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mark Harlan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Glad the search is over, Glad USF didn't drag this out for ever,  let the man start working and fix this train wreck.

Sounds like he has a vision, plan and is going to listen to Students, athletes , donors, and ticket holders.  Also understands the importance of winning.  Comes from a similar school (UCLA in a big city market). Hope he does well, and rights the ship.   As far as Doug goes, he has a contract unfort so he will be getting paid, but it may be in our best interest to part ways and get him as far away from the program as possible. Don't want others thinking he has any pull or authority within the Athletic Dept.  Esp if and when expansion heats up again and it will. Doug almost killed USF athletics.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Seems like a decent hire. If he knows how to hire good coaches (if that's even a responsibility of the AD at USF, since all I've seen with Woolard is throwing it in the lap of a private search firm???) and is as good at marketing and fund raising as all these articles lead on to be it should work out great. Time will tell....

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Seems like a decent hire. If he knows how to hire good coaches (if that's even a responsibility of the AD at USF, since all I've seen with Woolard is throwing it in the lap of a private search firm???) and is as good at marketing and fund raising as all these articles lead on to be it should work out great. Time will tell....

Everyone uses a search firm. Hell, even USC used one to hire Sarkisian and he was an assistant head coach there. You can blame a lot on Doug, but using a search firm is a weak complaint.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Everyone uses a search firm. Hell, even USC used one to hire Sarkisian and he was an assistant head coach there. You can blame a lot on Doug, but using a search firm is a weak complaint.

don't they use a search firm so it can't get out who they are considering.....keeping it private?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Did that come off as a complaint? I asked if actually hiring a coach is even a responsibility of the AD at USF because from my time of paying attention, (Holtz and Taggart hire) it seemed like the private firm did all the work for it. I was not complaining at all... simply wondering to myself if Harlan will even have that responsibility..

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

don't they use a search firm so it can't get out who they are considering.....keeping it private?

Thats my understanding. Its also nice way to have a middle man vet potential candidates and gauge interest before you actually start bringing in candidates. Saves you the PR hit of word getting out that multiple people turned you down for the job.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,705
  • Days Won:  108

Did that come off as a complaint? I asked if actually hiring a coach is even a responsibility of the AD at USF because from my time of paying attention, (Holtz and Taggart hire) it seemed like the private firm did all the work for it. I was not complaining at all... simply wondering to myself if Harlan will even have that responsibility..

We are so used to complaints and sarcasm that you can forgive people for reading things that way. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Thats my understanding. Its also nice way to have a middle man vet potential candidates and gauge interest before you actually start bringing in candidates. Saves you the PR hit of word getting out that multiple people turned you down for the job.

Would like to see the complete list, which way the contact went, maybe some reasoning...

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Dr Sutherland chaired that search, so USF had the bull by the horns the whole time

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

What does Harlan plan on doing about the curse of the Indian burial grounds?