• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's not Just USF.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

While losing the way we have doesn't help, it appears that even the best are having problems getting students to come to football games and keeping them there the entire game. 

ESPN: Will next generation of fans show up?

It makes me wonder if this trend will eventually filter to the NFL, as the younger generation becomes the fan base of the league. With youth league participation down 33% and the issues concerning concussions becomes more and more publicized, is enthusiasm for football waining?

Edited by swamprat

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

I'm sure it will balance out.  If people show an unwillingness to show up to the big-name schools games then they will make changes to get them to return.  We just need to find what will get people to show up. 

Marketing techniques will help.  Decreasing ticket prices/food prices/ parking prices will help.  Its about selling the game to the students and fans.  Make it more interesting to attend the game than to watch it at home. 

Also the economy has been rather crap the last 6 years or so and football attendance is not high on everyone's priority list. Fix the economy (easy, right?), Win games, and market them to the fans.  People will come.  They always do.  The numbers will probably grow as they have in the past. 

But then that's just my take.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

I tend to agree here. Something else that I keep thinking about is something one of my coworkers said as it relates to how we are smaller in prestige compared to UF. We are young. Schools like UF and FSU have been playing a lot longer, and also get kids who want to play where their folks went to school or even played. USF's first batch of players might have kids who are almost at that age to start coming in. I think in a few years we'll start seeing that group, IF they are good enough.The economy hasn't helped with fans, nor has the apparent lack of marketing. As for losing, I hope this year begins the rise.I feel that CWT is the man to do it, and hope this year is it. I'm very confident for the season after however since we should have tons of guys with a year in the system. Patience, while difficult, is key.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

While losing the way we have doesn't help, it appears that even the best are having problems getting students to come to football games and keeping them there the entire game. 

It makes me wonder if this trend will eventually filter to the NFL, as the younger generation becomes the fan base of the league. With youth league participation down 33% and the issues concerning concussions becomes more and more publicized, is enthusiasm for football waining?

who cares about other schools

this is another thread we about how we need to accept losing blah blah blah

we are young

we dont have the money

we dont have the reputation for winning

we dont have the facilities

our mentality is one of a loser

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

we are young

we dont have the money

Where does he say anything about accepting losing?  Another pointless post.

As far as the Shield goes, the league will be fine.  Best entertainment in the business.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

we are young

we dont have the money

How easily we forget that this team had only 2 losing seasons from 1997 to 2010. I'd argue the last three seasons are not going to be the norm.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Roger Goodell visited Disney late last year to discuss how to improve fan experience in stadiums. It is an issue even with the NFL. One they are gravely concerned about. It isn't a win/loss issue so much as a quality of experience issue. People are choosing to stay home and be able to see the game much more clearly on their televisions than go to a stadium and not see the game anywhere near as well. The younger generation is used to multi-tasking and handling multiple inputs via several devices at once. A plain old football game in the stadium doesn't do it for them.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,999
  • Days Won:  12

I have no doubt the future of football is at risk. That's why I'm ok if we never spend 280m on a stadium. You buy low and sell high, not the other way around. 

If USF said as it's strategic plan that it aims to field a competitive football program but invest heavily in bball, lacrosse, swimming and diving, (oh, and academics), I'd be 100% on board. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Days Won:  3

A very insightful article. Just goes to show that it's not "that one thing" that needs to be addressed. 

“The most common complaints included restrictions on tailgating at the stadium, or the quality of presentation of the games on television compared to the sight lines and breaks in the action at the stadium. “

“one of the reasons for the no-shows is because of a stale game atmosphere that caters to the old money that wants the traditions of decades ago.â€

“ it's hard to stay in touch with the world for the three hours you're in the stadium."

When I read those quotes, there's one term that leaps out at me: generational. What constitutes a "stale game atmosphere"? The last thing I want to do is attend a football game dressed up as a New Year's Eve party / concert (which is , of course, pronounced "Arena Ball"). As for "staying in touch with the world"...that's how you can tell it's a generational issue. Part of the purpose of going to the game is to DISCONNECT from the world. Maybe it's different when you're surgically attached to your digital communications device, but I hated having to bring the on-call phone to games. I'd love to have zero bars during the game. Gimme three hours...I'm pretty sure the like buttons will function when I get home. Then again, us ancient mariners don't have to be sight-n-sound entertained every split-second of the day.  :D

But the big killer is tv (as we use the term) vs in-the-stadium. Even here at the Robinson Ranch, as the media room develops the decision to go to a game gets more and more difficult. Why? like on of the survey respondents said "I wanna see other good games"...as nice as being at a Bulls game may be, there's times when the siren song of the recliners and giant TV are very hard to ignore. Gotta remember, twenty odd years back, we didn't have the barrage of games nor the entertainment technology we have today. That's taking a HUGE bite out of football at the pro level and I'd assume at the college level as well. I know we've deferred leaving for the stadium to the last minute of another good game. 

Figuring out how to get students into the stadium - and stay for the entire game - is going to require the best and brightest. I like what that one kid from 'bama said. They can look at the schedule and pencil in wins months in advance. Where's the fun in watching the home team crush the opposition? I'd like to think that one day I could be that bored. I just don't think it's gonna happen in my lifetime*.

* lifetime in the sense of purchasing season tickets. I'd like to think I've still got about thirty years on the game clock of life.

• Upvote 1