• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's not Just USF.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

While losing the way we have doesn't help, it appears that even the best are having problems getting students to come to football games and keeping them there the entire game. 

ESPN: Will next generation of fans show up?

It makes me wonder if this trend will eventually filter to the NFL, as the younger generation becomes the fan base of the league. With youth league participation down 33% and the issues concerning concussions becomes more and more publicized, is enthusiasm for football waining?

College football  has become a money sucking vacuum and has turned off many fans . 

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

I do not buy the "times are tough, going to games is too expensive" whining from the younger generation.

This is a generation where all of them have smartphones, and a lot of them have iPhone smartphones.  Owning one of those things requires a 2 year commitment to one of the major cell phone providers, and they are not giving those things away.  Their monthly cellphone bill must be at least $100, and that is not chump change.  Back when I was attending USF, I spent less than $100 a month on beer and booze.  I also went to almost every home basketball game because they were free to students.

So what the students are saying is that they would rather send their meager income to AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile, and make Steve Jobs' corpse the richest zombie on the planet, yet they cannot find the minimal cash to attend 6 to 7 home games, especially since they get their tickets for free?  My response is to them would get filtered out by the foul language filter, but the acronym is GFY. 

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

I do not buy the "times are tough, going to games is too expensive" whining from the younger generation.

This is a generation where all of them have smartphones, and a lot of them have iPhone smartphones.  Owning one of those things requires a 2 year commitment to one of the major cell phone providers, and they are not giving those things away.  Their monthly cellphone bill must be at least $100, and that is not chump change.  Back when I was attending USF, I spent less than $100 a month on beer and booze.  I also went to almost every home basketball game because they were free to students.

So what the students are saying is that they would rather send their meager income to AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile, and make Steve Jobs' corpse the richest zombie on the planet, yet they cannot find the minimal cash to attend 6 to 7 home games, especially since they get their tickets for free?  My response is to them would get filtered out by the foul language filter, but the acronym is GFY. 

Family plan. And my first cell phone, in the late 90s, had 15 minutes free a month.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

Here is one thing that USF needs to consider, dynamic pricing the entire event. I know this is tough, but specials can make up for it.

MBB vs. Samford - parking free! - Beer $4 - cheap ticket - $10 - hot dog $2

MBB vs. Houston - parking $5 - Beer $6 - cheap ticket -$14 - hot dog $3

MBB vs. UConn - parking $10 - Beer $8 - cheap ticket $17 - hot dog $4

I've got basketball on my mind, but obviously the same can be done for football if we had our own stadium to control all of these prices.

Different segments of the population would pick different games to go to in this model. If every game is at the UConn price, then no one buys single game tickets to see Samford. Likewise, if we price every game like Samford, then we leave money on the table for the big games.

I know my model is not perfect and will probably never be implemented. For those who don't get out much to USF events, concessions cost the same at MBB games as they do at softball. $7 sodas at softball to me are crazy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Your theory is flawed only in that I'm thinking a minimal number of students actually pay for their cell phones ...

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

What they are saying is that...they aren't interested in attending football games.  Nothing wrong with that!   Did you attend all the USF theater and dance performances on campus when you were a student?   Different strokes for different folks!

Here is one thing that USF needs to consider, dynamic pricing the entire event. I know this is tough, but specials can make up for it.

MBB vs. Samford - parking free! - Beer $4 - cheap ticket - $10 - hot dog $2

MBB vs. Houston - parking $5 - Beer $6 - cheap ticket -$14 - hot dog $3

MBB vs. UConn - parking $10 - Beer $8 - cheap ticket $17 - hot dog $4

I've got basketball on my mind, but obviously the same can be done for football if we had our own stadium to control all of these prices.

Different segments of the population would pick different games to go to in this model. If every game is at the UConn price, then no one buys single game tickets to see Samford. Likewise, if we price every game like Samford, then we leave money on the table for the big games.

I know my model is not perfect and will probably never be implemented. For those who don't get out much to USF events, concessions cost the same at MBB games as they do at softball. $7 sodas at softball to me are crazy.

Isn't dynamic pricing already being used for single game tickets?   Regular sodas at basketball (men's and women's) are $4.00; Large are $5.00

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a bigger (refillable soda for $7, but I might be mixing up football with basketball) .... sorry if I used the wrong number, but my point is that sports like baseball and softball could use lesser priced concessions to boost attendance. A baseball game with 500 fans can have better deals on food than a MBB with 7,000 fans. (free parking for Olympic sports is a great start, by the way).

About the football tickets, only to a point. They don't ever turn the system loose. They use it to mark up tickets to good games, but they never drop below a certain price. Lets face it, if they did, last year there would have been some $3 tickets late in the year.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

How many UConn WBB fans didn't come to the Dome last Sunday because of concession prices?

$3.00 Tickets would do nothing for the program, $3.00 tickets and $2 sodas and hot dogs would do even less.

Why are all those lower bowl seats empty.... Is it because of ticket or concession prices?

There are decent season tickets available for MBB @ $99.00 ea. + $15.00 handling, That's a whopping $11.83 / game for 2 seats. Cheaper than a movie!

But I don't know how a movie is going to end just by looking at the two main characters.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

How many UConn WBB fans didn't come to the Dome last Sunday because of concession prices?

$3.00 Tickets would do nothing for the program, $3.00 tickets and $2 sodas and hot dogs would do even less.

Why are all those lower bowl seats empty.... Is it because of ticket or concession prices?

There are decent season tickets available for MBB @ $99.00 ea. + $15.00 handling, That's a whopping $11.83 / game for 2 seats. Cheaper than a movie!

But I don't know how a movie is going to end just by looking at the two main characters.

Really? Mrs. S gets pissed at me because I usually figure out the ending in the first 5 minutes of the flick, then proceed to tell her. :D

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Times like this gents... Only one thing you can do...

Blame dangerous minorities

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

There are decent season tickets available for MBB @ $99.00 ea. + $15.00 handling,  That's a whopping $11.83 / game for 2 seats.  Cheaper than a movie!

A lot of people don't go to movies any more either, me included. Wait for the Blu-ray, enjoy not having rude aholes talking and ruining the experience.