• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Taggart a bust?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

We will know more next year but so far it isn't looking to good.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Way too early.

The hype was a definite bust, but I think most rational fans knew the was a 4 win team max coming into 2013z

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,701
  • Days Won:  2

CWT is a bust until he proves otherwise. We are giving him too much credit. He needs to prove himself. I've attend 5/7 home games this yr by the way

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

It's too early to say if Taggart is a bust. While he was given a monumental rebuilding project (unless you ask hbryan who thinks we were on the verge of greatness heading into 2013), any goodwill he had heading into his first season has all but evaporated.

Stop the nonsense *******, I did not say we were headed for greatness you insolent clown.  I repeated the Pollyanna position of many concerning Taggart and this season espoused by said Pollyanna's at the beginning of the season. I really don't think you graduated from USF, as a alumnus could not possibly be that inept at reading comprehension and actually receive a degree. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I also think it's too early to think about calling him a bust, but I can't believe you if you come on here and say you are not having some doubts about him.

Here's something to make you think...we are almost at the end of Taggert's first season.   Can you remember how you felt at the end of Holtz's first season?  Pretty good, huh?  We had just beaten Clemson in a bowl game.  Then look what happened in the next 2 years.  Based on history, we can't judge a coach on the first season of work.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

To the op, no.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788

I also think it's too early to think about calling him a bust, but I can't believe you if you come on here and say you are not having some doubts about him.

Here's something to make you think...we are almost at the end of Taggert's first season.   Can you remember how you felt at the end of Holtz's first season?  Pretty good, huh?  We had just beaten Clemson in a bowl game.  Then look what happened in the next 2 years.  Based on history, we can't judge a coach on the first season of work.

Good point.

It takes more than one season. S'pose we'd asked if Holtz was a bust at the end of his first season. You'd be looked at like you sprouted three heads! A Bust? Are you insane...why this man just took our team to a bowl and we beat another BCS team from the ACC! Whooo hoo! Yeah, baby! But then...no one had any doubts about him, did they  ;)

Unfortunately....at this juncture, unless you're doling out miracles like Jesus of Nazareth, there are those who will consider him a bust. There are those

(who shall remain nameless) who honestly thought that by virtue of just replacing a coach that all our ills would be cured and once again we would be seated at the also-ran post season bowl table. Well, hopefully our ills will be cured but it's gonna take some time for the medicine to take effect.

One season ain't it and no, CWT is not a bust. We get to hand out labels when he leaves, either ridden out of town on a rail or picked up by another program. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705

Stupid thread.

This was a program in need of a complete and total rebuild.

The defense did a good job of turning around and did it while giving a lot of young guys valuable experience.

Special teams has been light years ahead of last the past few years. Some bad decisions to come out of the end zone the last couple of games on kickoffs, but I imagine those were on the guys trying to take things in their own hands to make something happen.

Let's look at reality about the offense.

We came in to the season with one QB with very limited, unsuccessful experience that probably would have struggled to be a 2nd or 3rd string guy at most Sun Belt schools.

The second guy is a former walk-on who has hung around the program basically on the success of one drive four years ago. I respect the efforts, but another guy more than likely never seeing the field at 122 of the 123 D1 programs. Even as a backup.

Third QB was a last minute transfer whose skill set is probably not best suited for our current offensive scheme. Plus he came in less than 100% physically.

Then we turn to an 18 year old true freshman in a somewhat sophisticated offense. With little supporting cast. He has performed about as well as a true freshman would be expected. Let's be for real. He was a middle of the pack QB recruit. People have expectations that this was a superstar, number one QB recruit in the country.

Then we turn to his supporting cast. He has one average receiver on the roster to throw to. Not really a playmaker, but a guy that had one big game then disappeared until just the last few games. That is it at WR. No real deep threat to stretch the field. Not one receiver that has shown he can get open consistently not catch the ball consistently. No receiver on the roster has shown any YAC ability either. Catch the ball and get tackled...if they catch it. No break away speed on the roster no ability to get to the open field. No playmakers.

At RB you started the season with an undersized RB with limited touches, mostly in non meaningful situations asked to be a feature back in a smash mouth running game. Shaw is about 30 lbs undersized to carry the kind of load needed for this offense. Then your options go to a Juco transfer with only about 2 years total football experience, a true freshman and an unproven, inexperienced soph.

The OL was recruited to play a faster, speed oriented game. They were smallish with a poor track record of being able to pass block. Now thrown in to a situation where they have to play power football in a scheme most probably never played before.

Come back and ask the question if Taggart has been a bust at the end of next year after he has a chance to both bring in some playmakers with FBS talent and develop the players he has on the roster both physically and football intelligence wise.

Great post! Recruiting and gym time will help us greatly. CWT's plan will work with time.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

It's too early to apply a "bust" label, however there is nothing wrong with intermediate evaluation, which I hope Doug or one of his appointees is handling.   We can't bury our heads in the sand, cross our fingers and hope we finish 7-5 in 2015.  And if it doesn't pan out, go talk to Godfather Dungy and hire some other up and comer that meets his criteria.

Taggart needs time, but should also be showing prowess in recruiting, developing players, playcalling and managing the game among other things.  It's perfectly fine to have that discussion, but I'd hold off on the bust talk - too early.  Just look at what he walked into.  Arguably one of the worst programs in the country.