• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How far we've fallen...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,051
  • Days Won:  469

Oh the drama.

Kill a program? Terry Shea went 12-43 at Rutgers from 1996-2000. Off to the Big 10 they go. Greg Robinson at Syracuse, 10-37 2005-2008. Off to the ACC they go. Winning is a culture at the school. I don't think many know that Bear Bryant was a Kentucky before Alabama. 5 top 20 finishes in 8 seasons. But Kentucky, even way back then, was a basketball school. They treated the Bear like a sideshow, honored the basketball school around campus much more than the football team so he left. If USF's football team is 'killed' its because the students, alumni and admin don't care anymore, and not by what any coach does.

Terry Shea, Rutgers (12–43, 1996-2000)

Terry Shea, Rutgers (12–43, 1996-2000)

Like Holtz, those coaches paid with their terminations. Neither were around to take their teams to better conferences.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Nah, the in-betweeners just don't often share their thoughts. I suspect there's a lot of them, and they don't really care to feed the extremers.

I had to go back a page to see who you were responding to .... don't make me do that again.

God forbid we don't have eight boxes of quotes preceding a post...

Have you ever looked at how that appears on an iPhone?

I am right now and I totally agree .... but it's a necessity at times when replying directly like that... although, when I post from a computer, I do try to whittle down the quotes if possible, cognizant of how it looks on a phone. We should all be a good neighbor and try to that ...

Yeah, sorry Trips, by the time I posted I wasn't the "next" post anymore. Laziness...I usually do better.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

This is a pretty epic thread.  Shame I didn't jump into it sooner.  

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

It sure does. He failed miserably.

That's an understatement.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

Gotta love these threads.  How many do we have with the same theme? 10? 20?  Really, it's way past time to move on from both CJL and CSH.  It's game week and I'm looking forward to watching my Bulls show improvement on Saturday.

Definitely was not my intention to start a CJL vs. Skippy vs. Coach T thread. After reading that interview last night, it brought me back to '09 and how high our expectations were (rational or not). We were big time college football and never in a million years would I have thought that we'd be losing to the likes of McNesse St. The interview demonstrated everything that made USF awesome and I simply wanted to share it.

In an interview of CJL with the 49ers, Leavitt said that he felt we were 2-3 years away from playing for a national championship. He meant it and I kind of feel the same way.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Gotta love these threads. How many do we have with the same theme? 10? 20? Really, it's way past time to move on from both CJL and CSH. It's game week and I'm looking forward to watching my Bulls show improvement on Saturday.

Definitely was not my intention to start a CJL vs. Skippy vs. Coach T thread. After reading that interview last night, it brought me back to '09 and how high our expectations were (rational or not). We were big time college football and never in a million years would I have thought that we'd be losing to the likes of McNesse St. The interview demonstrated everything that made USF awesome and I simply wanted to share it.

In an interview of CJL with the 49ers, Leavitt said that he felt we were 2-3 years away from playing for a national championship. He meant it and I kind of feel the same way.

Holtz thought that too. He said he was going to get this team to a national championship in three years when he was first hired. I think maybe we were close to possibly a BCS bowl if we could stop te conference slides.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

When was that interview? Link? Sounds interesting...

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No. No we weren't.

Edited by Joe

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

When was that interview? Link? Sounds interesting...

Great interview, fast forward to around the 5:45 mark to hear him talk NC. He says "in time we would have won a NC." My memory failed me.

Not sure why the link won't show up, just youtube Jim Leavitt 49ers and it should be the first video

Edited by Grothe4Heisman

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,715
  • Days Won:  109

I am trying to figure out why everyone acts like he lost every game at USF by 50 points and left a roster of 1 star players.

7-5, 5-7, 3-9 ... the trend explains it all.

I got that, but did you dig deeper and get that a full half of those losses were by 1 score and more than 1 were on the last play?. I believe with the right DC, he'd still be here. And that an older, more established football program he'd probably have another season to try and turn it around. Why? because they understand the ups and downs of programs and that no coach is going to 'destroy' a program. 100 years of UConn football, he took them to the 1aa championships for the FIRST TIME. It wasn't year 1, or 3 or 4, it was year 5. Two of those were 4 win seasons.

He wouldn't have lost some of those games if he knew how to use time outs or manage the clock effectively! It wasn't just his staff. Multiple games his clock management was atrocious. So bad in fact even the announcers were scratching their head pointing out his mistakes and mismanagement of timeouts. The Floyd vs FSU debacle. He looked like a complete amateur and the results speak for themselves. Okay we have the talent to win all of those close games but we need a coach that can actually manage the clock and put together a staff that will actually win, not almost win.

So you're saying he CAN recruit???  :thumbsup: