• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

when do we fire Heath?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

IMO, We should fire the guy(s) who wouldn't let Austin play for USF. That was the third time in the last few years that an incoming BIG man was let go right before the fall semester. A coach shouldn't have to deal with that, when those players are cleared by the NCAA and then go to big name schools. It's just ridiculous.

Exactly!  This academic committee is an absolute joke.  They obviously don't know their own university well considering we could've hooked that kid up with a degree in phys ed with a "tutor" to drive his but to class.  Easily would've kept his grades up.  If he can play at Oregon, he could've played here.  That group, whoever they are, really pisses me off more times than not.  These guys aren't "students", they are entertainers.

As for the discussion at hand.  I was all for firing Heath, but when the man got us TWO wins in the tourney, that bought him a few seasons.  If we suck like this every season for the next 2-3 after we were in the dance, then you fire him bc no way you could win two games in the dance and not be able to recruit a decent class or two that can actually produce. 

Yeah, why should a university concern themselves with academics?  Preposterous!

1. Beer

2. Women

3. Sports

4. etc

:

:

:

74. Acadmeics

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

He's a decent mid-major coach.

Decent??

He's got an 83 winning percentage at the mid major level .... Which will suit us just fine in a couple of years.

LOL at saying KSU is mid-major and we're not.

We are mid-major,like it or not.

Mid-major is a conference description. Kent State is not in a major conference, USF is (for now).

I'm using it do describe reality. We may be in a major bball conference, but we are a mid-major team.

And Heath is a decent mid-major coach. Not great.

Not sure you could even call him a decent major-school coach.

I guess you're going to need to name some decent, good, very good mid major coaches so we can see what criteria you're grading Stan on ....

Just from the A10, for example.

Decent: Brian Gregory (pretty good at Dayton, not so much at Georgia Tech)

Good: Shaka Smart

Very good: Brad Stevens

LOL ... If, In a 3 year span, a CBI championship, an NCAA Final Four and an NCAA 3rd round only gets you a "Good", there's not a whole lot I can say,

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

IMO, We should fire the guy(s) who wouldn't let Austin play for USF. That was the third time in the last few years that an incoming BIG man was let go right before the fall semester. A coach shouldn't have to deal with that, when those players are cleared by the NCAA and then go to big name schools. It's just ridiculous.

Exactly!  This academic committee is an absolute joke.  They obviously don't know their own university well considering we could've hooked that kid up with a degree in phys ed with a "tutor" to drive his but to class.  Easily would've kept his grades up.  If he can play at Oregon, he could've played here.  That group, whoever they are, really pisses me off more times than not.  These guys aren't "students", they are entertainers.

As for the discussion at hand.  I was all for firing Heath, but when the man got us TWO wins in the tourney, that bought him a few seasons.  If we suck like this every season for the next 2-3 after we were in the dance, then you fire him bc no way you could win two games in the dance and not be able to recruit a decent class or two that can actually produce. 

Yeah, why should a university concern themselves with academics?  Preposterous!

+1

The only one that kept Austin from player for us is Austin.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Is USF the Harvard of the south? Do you need to be a genius to get in? The man is qualified and playing in a high division I school. He could and should have been playing for THIS high division I school.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Is USF the Harvard of the south? Do you need to be a genius to get in? The man is qualified and playing in a high division I school. He could and should have been playing for THIS high division I school.

No one is saying we are the Harvard of the South.  USF had certain requirements that he did not meet.  He had credits that didn't transfer.  He didn't qualify for this Division I school.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This is a ridiculous topic. You only fire a coach when there is a consistent trend that the program is going in the wrong direction with a few years of poor record and no signs of improvement. Firing a coach simply because the 2nd half of a season tanked, mostly against top 25 teams is stupid. You don't fire the coach the year after he gave you your best record ever.

If you looked at the roster and schedule at the beginning of the year it was clear this team was going to have a tough time this year in conference play. There was not one player (let alone a team of players) that had ever shown signs of being capable of leading this team to a winning record.

This team lost its most consistent leading scorer, a 4 year starter in Gilchrist. A 3 year starter, leading rebounder and team leader in Anderson and one of the best defensive players in the country in Robertson.

Those guys were replaced by 3 career role players that have never consistently shown signs of being able to take the team to the next level.

Who were you counting on to become your scoring threat? Rudd? He has been a career 36% shooter. Very consistent from his year at ASU to last year. Guess what his shooting percentage is this year. EXACTLY what it was last year. 36%. Poland is perfoming exactly how he has in the past and Fitzpatrick is about the same also, although his ppg is actually up a little.

Very difficult to have any chemistry on the floor when the team has 3 freshman (I reluctantly include Omo in there) plus another 3 guys new to the team. You aren't going too far with guy that has proven he can consistently play at a high level. And he isn't even a scorer.

I look for improvement next year when Leday and Hawkins have the full year under their belt and a full year to physically develop plus some contribution from the incoming guys.

Rudd remains a question mark. He has shown signs of talent in a few games, but certainly nothing on a consistent basis. You can't make an entire career based on 3 games just because you declare yourself elgible for the NBA.

Bottom line is I look for continued improvement the next 2 years. If we have 3 years in a row like this one and the recruiting is crappy then it would be time to look for a change.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

This again. it's the academic committee's fault that USF basketball is down so much from last year.

HE DIDN'T QUALIFY.

FIN.

Besides. At what point does one point out that Waverly Austin has barely cracked the rotation at Oregon?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I stayed up to watch the Oregon game last night. He is not the best offensive player, but he is active. He disrupts offensive players and he rebounds. I like his game.

I also like how Gene Teague (another academic "casualty" is at Seton Hall and absolutely destroyed USF the other day in the post.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Every single team Heath has coached he has taken to the tournament.

Next year our team will be great, he has recruited excellently now that he has top notch facilities.

Last year was the BEST season in USF basketball history...its ok to have a rebuilding year right now everyone chill out even Duke UNC and Kentucky have average to bad seasons after having great seasons or teams.

We are building big things down here.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Every single team Heath has coached he has taken to the tournament.

Next year our team will be great, he has recruited excellently now that he has top notch facilities.

Last year was the BEST season in USF basketball history...its ok to have a rebuilding year right now everyone chill out even Duke UNC and Kentucky have average to bad seasons after having great seasons or teams.

We are building big things down here.

Next year's team will include our, arguably, best recruiting class ever but I think it's a long shot that they're going to be great coming out of the chute ...