• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Dickie V showing Taggart some love:

**** Vitaleâ€@DickieV

He played HS football in my area at MANATEE HS # 1 in USA - Would be a great hire 4 USF-WILLIE TAGGART is a natural . Willie is a WINNER!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

My concern with Taggart, is that from my understading he is similar to Holtz in the aspect that he is a 'program leader'. He's never been a coordinator and is not really known as a defensive or offensive guru. Does a head coach absolutely need to be....no. But that makes his hiring of coordinators very very very important, and with him being so young and having coached at so few places, will he have the ability to put the necessary staff together here to be a success.

urban meyer was never a coordinator. he went from wr coach to head coach

OK...well the only point he was trying to make is that if we don't start spending money on coordinators there is a chance Taggart might not be the best choice.

I thought the point he was making was that Taggart hasn't really been in the coaching ranks that long and may not have enough really good contacts to upgrade the coordinators he already has ...

sometimes that can be a positive. I'm not so sure Holtz connection to Cosh benefitted us all that much. same with Fitch.the reason tubberville got fired from auburn was because he was so loyal to his assistants . maybe a young guy with a fresh start can build better.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

My concern with Taggart, is that from my understading he is similar to Holtz in the aspect that he is a 'program leader'. He's never been a coordinator and is not really known as a defensive or offensive guru. Does a head coach absolutely need to be....no. But that makes his hiring of coordinators very very very important, and with him being so young and having coached at so few places, will he have the ability to put the necessary staff together here to be a success.

OK...well the only point he was trying to make is that if we don't start spending money on coordinators there is a chance Taggart might not be the best choice.

I thought the point he was making was that Taggart hasn't really been in the coaching ranks that long and may not have enough really good contacts to upgrade the coordinators he already has ...

sometimes that can be a positive. I'm not so sure Holtz connection to Cosh benefitted us all that much. same with Fitch.the reason tubberville got fired from auburn was because he was so loyal to his assistants . maybe a young guy with a fresh start can build better.

Skip hiring Cosh was pretty much his death knell. Not sure how he thought hiring a bad DC from a bad defense conference was a good idea especially considering he was probably days from being fired.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

Skip hiring Cosh was pretty much his death knell. Not sure how he thought hiring a bad DC from a bad defense conference was a good idea especially considering he was probably days from being fired.

so he went for a field goal instead of going for it on 4th and 2 in the red zone? :D

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

it was. he was familiar with him though and had worked with him in the past. sometimes people should be hired on merit. not based on who you know.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If we can get Shannon as DC. Taggart would have the Tampa Bay ties and Shannon would have the South Florida ties.

so he went for a field goal instead of going for it on 4th and 2 in the red zone? :D

Well, Skip made a lot of highly questionable decisions, but I think had he hired a competent DC, he'd have at least gone 7-5 and made a bowl game. He'd have been here another year or two.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

Well, Skip made a lot of highly questionable decisions, but I think had he hired a competent DC, he'd have at least gone 7-5 and made a bowl game. He'd have been here another year or two.

I don't disagree one bit

If we can get Shannon as DC. Taggart would have the Tampa Bay ties and Shannon would have the South Florida ties.

That would make a pretty dynamic duo. I'd sign off on that. Just have to make sure they get along and Taggart is strong enough to establish the pecking order with a guy with Shannon's credentials.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

If the DC was/would have been responsible for more than twice as many wins as we ended up with SH should have never been hired in the first place.