• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

My concern with Taggart, is that from my understading he is similar to Holtz in the aspect that he is a 'program leader'. He's never been a coordinator and is not really known as a defensive or offensive guru. Does a head coach absolutely need to be....no. But that makes his hiring of coordinators very very very important, and with him being so young and having coached at so few places, will he have the ability to put the necessary staff together here to be a success.

urban meyer was never a coordinator. he went from wr coach to head coach

OK...well the only point he was trying to make is that if we don't start spending money on coordinators there is a chance Taggart might not be the best choice.

I thought the point he was making was that Taggart hasn't really been in the coaching ranks that long and may not have enough really good contacts to upgrade the coordinators he already has ...

sometimes that can be a positive. I'm not so sure Holtz connection to Cosh benefitted us all that much. same with Fitch.the reason tubberville got fired from auburn was because he was so loyal to his assistants . maybe a young guy with a fresh start can build better.

I'm not saying that Taggart couldn't put a good staff together or that he wouldn't be a success here, strictly that based on paper (being as fans thats all we can do with these coaching options), his youth and lack of contacts may be problematic in putting a staff together and should be a concern when looking at him as a hire. Just making a comparison with the other "local" candidate in Calvin Magee, Magee has worked at USF, WVU, Mich, Pitt and now Arizona. While most of that was under Rich Rod, it was with different coaching staffs. He's had an opportunity to work with, and meet a lot of other coaches who he could draw on in filling out a staff. I'm sure he's probably got some NFL contacts as well from his playing days (may be very little, but some). That doesn't mean that Magee would be guaranteed success either, just that I see less "risk" with him in regards to creating a staff.

And realistically this will all go back to funds as well, but thats a seperate issue.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

My concern with Taggart, is that from my understading he is similar to Holtz in the aspect that he is a 'program leader'. He's never been a coordinator and is not really known as a defensive or offensive guru. Does a head coach absolutely need to be....no. But that makes his hiring of coordinators very very very important, and with him being so young and having coached at so few places, will he have the ability to put the necessary staff together here to be a success.

urban meyer was never a coordinator. he went from wr coach to head coach

OK...well the only point he was trying to make is that if we don't start spending money on coordinators there is a chance Taggart might not be the best choice.

I thought the point he was making was that Taggart hasn't really been in the coaching ranks that long and may not have enough really good contacts to upgrade the coordinators he already has ...

sometimes that can be a positive. I'm not so sure Holtz connection to Cosh benefitted us all that much. same with Fitch.the reason tubberville got fired from auburn was because he was so loyal to his assistants . maybe a young guy with a fresh start can build better.

I'm not saying that Taggart couldn't put a good staff together or that he wouldn't be a success here, strictly that based on paper (being as fans thats all we can do with these coaching options), his youth and lack of contacts may be problematic in putting a staff together and should be a concern when looking at him as a hire. Just making a comparison with the other "local" candidate in Calvin Magee, Magee has worked at USF, WVU, Mich, Pitt and now Arizona. While most of that was under Rich Rod, it was with different coaching staffs. He's had an opportunity to work with, and meet a lot of other coaches who he could draw on in filling out a staff. I'm sure he's probably got some NFL contacts as well from his playing days (may be very little, but some). That doesn't mean that Magee would be guaranteed success either, just that I see less "risk" with him in regards to creating a staff.

And realistically this will all go back to funds as well, but thats a seperate issue.

yeah I can see the risk but there is risk in hiring someone that has a lot of connections as well. they could hire based on relationships rather than merit. it happens a lot in coaching. where buddies are hired instead of looking strictly at merit. I think i'd be happy with either Magee or Taggart. both have risk but any hire really isn't a slam dunk. especially at our level. I think we pay a decent wage at our level. that won't be a huge issue filling out a BE staff.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,533
  • Days Won:  422

If we can get Shannon as DC. Taggart would have the Tampa Bay ties and Shannon would have the South Florida ties.

Shannon was the head coach at the University of Miami. Why in the world would he come here as a DC under a Willie Taggart? Have there been instances of something like this happening elsewhere?

If we can get Shannon as DC. Taggart would have the Tampa Bay ties and Shannon would have the South Florida ties.

Shannon was the head coach at the University of Miami. Why in the world would he come here as a DC under a Willie Taggart? Have there been instances of something like this happening elsewhere?

he's LB coach at TCU currently

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

well, he's a LB coach at TCU. I would think a DC job in Florida may possibly interest him

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Exactly. It would be a promotion from where he currently is.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

And he would get back to Florida

it would be more responsibility. maybe a little more money but if he is trying to climb the coaching ladder again then it probably would benefit him.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

it would be more responsibility. maybe a little more money but if he is trying to climb the coaching ladder again then it probably would benefit him.

depends on how much responsibility he wants....apparently when he was hired at TCU, their coach said he turned down a number of coordinator jobs to coach LBs at TCU.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

If he wasn't willing to climb the ladder again, I'm not sure why he's a position coach in TX. TCU LB to USF DC/assistant HC wouldn't be a lateral move. It would be an upgrade.