• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

no matter who we hire, there is going to be some flaw with them as a coach, either they're going to be a retread or lack of experience or some other deficiency, nobody will be the perfect hire, it'll be a gamble either way.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

My concern with Taggart, is that from my understading he is similar to Holtz in the aspect that he is a 'program leader'. He's never been a coordinator and is not really known as a defensive or offensive guru. Does a head coach absolutely need to be....no. But that makes his hiring of coordinators very very very important, and with him being so young and having coached at so few places, will he have the ability to put the necessary staff together here to be a success.

urban meyer was never a coordinator. he went from wr coach to head coach

OK...well the only point he was trying to make is that if we don't start spending money on coordinators there is a chance Taggart might not be the best choice.

I imagine with the defections that we will be very close to the top in the conference for head coach and assistant salaries. I think we were already #2 with head coach.

We were #1 in 2010 and 2011. Strong only jumped Skip in the off season. With UL leaving the Big East, we probably have a top three position in the Big East (maybe behind Cincy and Boise). Cincy doesn't have the money to retain coaches and Peterson is at Boise until someone like Oregon throws a billion dollars at him.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,524
  • Days Won:  422

My concern with Taggart, is that from my understading he is similar to Holtz in the aspect that he is a 'program leader'. He's never been a coordinator and is not really known as a defensive or offensive guru. Does a head coach absolutely need to be....no. But that makes his hiring of coordinators very very very important, and with him being so young and having coached at so few places, will he have the ability to put the necessary staff together here to be a success.

OK...well the only point he was trying to make is that if we don't start spending money on coordinators there is a chance Taggart might not be the best choice.

I thought the point he was making was that Taggart hasn't really been in the coaching ranks that long and may not have enough really good contacts to upgrade the coordinators he already has ...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

no matter who we hire, there is going to be some flaw with them as a coach, either they're going to be a retread or lack of experience or some other deficiency, nobody will be the perfect hire, it'll be a gamble either way.

exactly

If we'd have gotten off our asses and fired Leavitt, which Doug and Judy must have known was going to happen, Strong was the perfect candidate. I'm not sure we'll ever come close to having the perfect guy again.

I thought the point he was making was that Taggart hasn't really been in the coaching ranks that long and may not have enough really good contacts to upgrade the coordinators he already has ...

that's kind of how I saw it too

Woolard would have to help, which also scares me to death. We'd need an assistant HC/Coordinator with connections real quick.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,524
  • Days Won:  422

So what you're really saying is the obvious. ... no matter who we hire, there's going to be ******** and moaning about him from somewhere.

If we'd have gotten off our asses and fired Leavitt, which Doug and Judy must have known was going to happen, Strong was the perfect candidate. I'm not sure we'll ever come close to having the perfect guy again.

they were waiting for the findings :Shhhh:

So what you're really saying is the obvious. ... no matter who we hire, there's going to be ******** and moaning about him from somewhere.

exactly....the question is how much will there be