• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

bj daniels experiment is over

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

BJ is a running qb this is totally on the coaches...they have him doing things he isn't suited for. He should have transfered with CJL left since holtz and staff are idiots.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone else notice that BJ rarely ever has any pre snap reads (yesterday might have been the first time I have ever seen him hard count without our team false starting).

Grothe running out of shotgun spread would hike his leg as if to call for snap and see what the defense was showing and then either team would look to side line to read play from coaches or Grothe would adjust protection/routes himself.

Also, to clear passing lanes for Grothe on quick slants and over the middle routes the tackles would cut block.

BJ is an extremely nice kid, and I don't think he has been handled properly; but he clearly hasn't matured mentally on his own regarding the position.

I also want to say that I think a lot of the blame should go to our offensive play calling, and piss poor defense (never thought I would ever say those words regarding USF).

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

He is not a D1 quarterback enough said. Put floyd in and move him to tail back. It will at least make the game interesting and give us a shot at FSU.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,698
  • Days Won:  108

Does anyone else notice that BJ rarely ever has any pre snap reads (yesterday might have been the first time I have ever seen him hard count without our team false starting).

Grothe running out of shotgun spread would hike his leg as if to call for snap and see what the defense was showing and then either team would look to side line to read play from coaches or Grothe would adjust protection/routes himself.

Also, to clear passing lanes for Grothe on quick slants and over the middle routes the tackles would cut block.

BJ is an extremely nice kid, and I don't think he has been handled properly; but he clearly hasn't matured mentally on his own regarding the position.

I also want to say that I think a lot of the blame should go to our offensive play calling, and piss poor defense (never thought I would ever say those words regarding USF).

Different offensive coordinator and system. The way it was explained to me was that a play was called in the huddle that had 2 pass and 1 run option (or vice versa) and then receivers and QB looked to the sideline to see which option to run based on what they saw from the defense.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  172

Different offensive coordinator and system. The way it was explained to me was that a play was called in the huddle that had 2 pass and 1 run option (or vice versa) and then receivers and QB looked to the sideline to see which option to run based on what they saw from the defense.

I appreciate the breakdown, and apologize if I came off sounding that dense (hard to be eloquent from an ipad).

I know that was under Canales and now Fitch is running the show, I was just trying to suggest something I would like to see BJ and team explore more using past examples.

I don't know if it is a system thing, but it seems as if BJ just walks to the line and stares at the center waiting for the exchange.

His typical cadence is literally: down.. Set.. Hit..

From a fan perspective, our offense seems too simplistic to me; and I would like to see us confuse/shock the defenses we play.

On passing plays it seems to me that BJ selects his receivers before the play (basing this off of how many balls BJ forces to a double covered receiver).

He does a good job for the most part on qb option reads, of reading the ends and potential outside blitzes.

I just think the coaches need to give him the proper tools to succeed (especially with the WR talent and speed we have now); but, again I don't only blame BJ. Offensive line play has been poor, and play calling has been horrendous (IMO).

It is upsetting knowing the speed and playmaking ability we have on offense, but can't seem to unleash it.

Edited by bullrushBE

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  498

I just watched bridgewater step up into the pocket to elude a sack, then he hit his guy for a 35yd TD. BJ would instead of moving up to elude a tackel, would roll out, run around the backfield like crazy and probably take the WR out of target.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

I just watched bridgewater step up into the pocket to elude a sack, then he hit his guy for a 35yd TD. BJ would instead of moving up to elude a tackel, would roll out, run around the backfield like crazy and probably take the WR out of target.

I am watching this game too; wondering what we would look like if only Holtz would have promised Bridgewater an opportunity to start as a Freahman

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I may be in the minority right now, but I want to ride BJ out. I'm not willing to put in a freshman QB with maybe 20 snaps against FSU. BJ is not nearly as bad as you guys make him out to be. He's not as good as EJ Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, or Tahj Boyd. But look at guys like Denard Robinson. He's a so-so decision maker with an electric set of legs, a powerful cannon, and an inconsistent accuracy. It is what it is. But Matt Floyd is not any better. Sorry, but there is nothing our coaching staff can do.

We have to ride BJ right now and hope he can continue to make electric plays like he's made all career and hope he can be a leader on this team. He's goign to make mistakes, but there isn't too much we can do right now.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I agree, if we take BJ out, we will win maybe one game this season. Dont overreact and be stupid. Fitch needs to open up the playbook more and play to BJ's skillset. End of story. Until that happens, BJ will keep throwing 30+ times and we will keep misusing our RBs.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,698
  • Days Won:  108

I agree, if we take BJ out, we will win maybe one game this season. Dont overreact and be stupid. Fitch needs to open up the playbook more and play to BJ's skillset. End of story. Until that happens, BJ will keep throwing 30+ times and we will keep misusing our RBs.

They have been running the same plays for, what, 3 years now? There are no other plays to run. What you see is what you get. Stop drinking the tequila so early in the day.