• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

bj daniels experiment is over

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I agree, if we take BJ out, we will win maybe one game this season. Dont overreact and be stupid. Fitch needs to open up the playbook more and play to BJ's skillset. End of story. Until that happens, BJ will keep throwing 30+ times and we will keep misusing our RBs.

They have been running the same plays for, what, 3 years now? There are no other plays to run. What you see is what you get. Stop drinking the tequila so early in the day.

lol today is a rum and coke day.

I am saying Fitch needs to add some new plays. Our record the last 3 years indicates that the plays we have now can gtfo

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Does anyone else notice that BJ rarely ever has any pre snap reads (yesterday might have been the first time I have ever seen him hard count without our team false starting).

Grothe running out of shotgun spread would hike his leg as if to call for snap and see what the defense was showing and then either team would look to side line to read play from coaches or Grothe would adjust protection/routes himself.

Also, to clear passing lanes for Grothe on quick slants and over the middle routes the tackles would cut block.

BJ is an extremely nice kid, and I don't think he has been handled properly; but he clearly hasn't matured mentally on his own regarding the position.

I also want to say that I think a lot of the blame should go to our offensive play calling, and piss poor defense (never thought I would ever say those words regarding USF).

Different offensive coordinator and system. The way it was explained to me was that a play was called in the huddle that had 2 pass and 1 run option (or vice versa) and then receivers and QB looked to the sideline to see which option to run based on what they saw from the defense.

I appreciate the breakdown, and apologize if I came off sounding that dense (hard to be eloquent from an ipad).

I know that was under Canales and now Fitch is running the show, I was just trying to suggest something I would like to see BJ and team explore more using past examples.

I don't know if it is a system thing, but it seems as if BJ just walks to the line and stares at the center waiting for the exchange.

His typical cadence is literally: down.. Set.. Hit..

From a fan perspective, our offense seems too simplistic to me; and I would like to see us confuse/shock the defenses we play.

On passing plays it seems to me that BJ selects his receivers before the play (basing this off of how many balls BJ forces to a double covered receiver).

He does a good job for the most part on qb option reads, of reading the ends and potential outside blitzes.

I just think the coaches need to give him the proper tools to succeed (especially with the WR talent and speed we have now); but, again I don't only blame BJ. Offensive line play has been poor, and play calling has been horrendous (IMO).

It is upsetting knowing the speed and playmaking ability we have on offense, but can't seem to unleash it.

I think it was easy for Holtz and fitch to run an offense in c-usa. there were no defenses in that league with the exception of southern miss and perhaps ucf. not that the BE is loaded with defense but I think a step up will expose some flaws in any coaches system.

I may be in the minority right now, but I want to ride BJ out. I'm not willing to put in a freshman QB with maybe 20 snaps against FSU. BJ is not nearly as bad as you guys make him out to be. He's not as good as EJ Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, or Tahj Boyd. But look at guys like Denard Robinson. He's a so-so decision maker with an electric set of legs, a powerful cannon, and an inconsistent accuracy. It is what it is. But Matt Floyd is not any better. Sorry, but there is nothing our coaching staff can do.

We have to ride BJ right now and hope he can continue to make electric plays like he's made all career and hope he can be a leader on this team. He's goign to make mistakes, but there isn't too much we can do right now.

I can't imagine a young inexperienced QB back there with this line and awful play calling. sure he might be a better passer but he would not give us a better chance to win.

I agree, if we take BJ out, we will win maybe one game this season. Dont overreact and be stupid. Fitch needs to open up the playbook more and play to BJ's skillset. End of story. Until that happens, BJ will keep throwing 30+ times and we will keep misusing our RBs.

They have been running the same plays for, what, 3 years now? There are no other plays to run. What you see is what you get. Stop drinking the tequila so early in the day.

remember the first quarter and a half at UF? we need that offense. read option. I believe we ran 21 consecutive run plays and we piled up yards and dominated time of possession. I think BJ had over 100 rushing in first half. as soon as we started to pass the ball we lost that game.

we have the plays we just need to call them.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

remember the first quarter and a half at UF? we need that offense. read option. I believe we ran 21 consecutive run plays and we piled up yards and dominated time of possession. I think BJ had over 100 rushing in first half. as soon as we started to pass the ball we lost that game.

I remember this. We ran all over them. They had no idea what to do

I remember this. We ran all over them. They had no idea what to do

that was one of the few times i felt we had a game plan in place and play calling that made good use of the talent we have. I'm not talking about running into the line twice and falling over like we normally do but running the read option and stuffing it down a teams throat. we had 2 back sets. blockers in the h-back. we even came out in the 2nd half and did the same until the fumble inside their 20. whatever happened to h-back? we don't use a blocker back there at all.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  326
  • Days Won:  1

can only wonder what this team would have looked like with landi at qb and bj at tailback. bj loves to juke and run and landi really doesnt move that well. could he have been the tall pocket passer we were looking for? the world may never know

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,698
  • Days Won:  108

can only wonder what this team would have looked like with landi at qb and bj at tailback. bj loves to juke and run and landi really doesnt move that well. could he have been the tall pocket passer we were looking for? the world may never know

Actually Landi looked pretty elusive way back in that spring game. He's put on a lot of weight to play tight end from where he was 4 years ago.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  326
  • Days Won:  1

disagree. we have a tight end that weighs 236 lbs? he should be 255 at least but then again he was the" Blocker of the Year" at the banquet last year . what an insult to chaz and jeremiah sorry getting off topic. i am gone

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Offense:

2 back set. QB (BJ) in shot gun, 2 WR and TE, or 3 WR

I need to see: read option, pitches, sweeps, misdirection, slants, curls, out routes, wheel routes, trap plays

Unfortunately, since that first quarter against UF - the coaches forgot. It was was as if they decided, "Let's show everyone how brilliant we are!!!!!!! We can pass and show everyone how awesome coaches we are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"