• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

USF's best bet is for BYU to remain independent.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  15

KlydeBarrow Klyde Barrow

Big 12/Big East merger very close to happening. Officials from all parties involved currently furiously debating.

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Since I like this rumor the best, I'm going to stick with this one and pretend the others don't exist.

:whistle

This ^

• Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Nobody knows what is actually going on behind the scenes. The problem with all of these leaks is that maybe they are true at the time of being leaked in but a matter of hours the situation could have changed. We won't know anything until things are officially announced.

With that said, I am hoping for a Big East - Big12 merge of the football schools. We get to leave the basketball schools behind and become the first 16 team conference, hopefully landing a good TV deal  with some really strong exit penalties to stop teams from leaving. The conference will likely remain somewhat unstable with the disagreements over the Longhorn network, and OU likely to start a network of their own soon.

• Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

If OU wants their own network than fine. I just want USF to be in a BCS conference and hopefully stable one. We would still make more than what we are currently making.

• Content Count:  715

Calm down folks, these are all just BS rumors. Please...we got a game at PITT tonight!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

tweet @Tampa_Sports

USF to CUSA, NCAA to give USF national championship as consolation prize

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,625
  • Days Won:  424

KlydeBarrow Klyde Barrow

Big 12/Big East merger very close to happening. Officials from all parties involved currently furiously debating.

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Since I like this rumor the best, I'm going to stick with this one and pretend the others don't exist.

:whistle

This ^

I think I'll wait until Bonnie weighs in before going all in on this one ...

• Content Count:  1,204

Not sure what to think about Klyde Barrow.  It's a guy in a Texas sweater from Dallas BUT if he has sources within UT then he might have some sources, but he can't count.  He talks about creating the first 14 team superconference and then says that remaining BE football teams plus TCU will be going BXII.  That's 16 unless original sources suggested UConn and Rutgers would go ACC.

The claims that the Big East Presidents are meeting for the split between basketball and football to be official is plausible, though.  

At 16 teams it would promote stability.  Even if a couple of teams left down the road it would not cause massive turmoil.  It would also allow for another TV contract to be negotiated due to more games.  The Big XII has 58 games sold per year on their TV deal.  A 16 team conference would have 128 games, so another 40-50 game package would be sellable and the ESPN contract will be up for Tier 1 in 2013.  

If they do go to 16, I'd be looking at creating a conference playoff.  Four divisions with four teams in each.  You play everyone in your own division every year (3 games) and then can have a rotation schedule with the other divisions to get up to eight conference games.  At the end of the season, the division winners and two wild card teams go through a six team playoff to get to the Big XII title game.  Do it NFL style with the top two seeds getting week one off.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Nobody knows what is actually going on behind the scenes. The problem with all of these leaks is that maybe they are true at the time of being leaked in but a matter of hours the situation could have changed. We won't know anything until things are officially announced.

Wasn't it "leaked" that UL was accepting the Big 12 invite yesterday?

I agree, no one knows what is going on. Unless some of these reporters are in the room with these people then don't have knowledge of everything that is going on.

Archived