• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

When Boston College beat Rutgers in 1992, BC quarterback Glenn Foley—a New Jersey native—famously quipped, "The only bowl [Rutgers is] going to is the one I just got off of."

:ROFLMAO  :lmao :lolnew

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  185

When I say this it's all hypothetical but what if the Big Ten chooses USF along with the other 4 schools?

I know they want a school that is part of the AAU or whatever it is called, but to me that is something USF can accomplish within the next five years. Also they would give the Midwest teams a chance to play in Florida and recruit down here. As well as if the Big Ten does raid you know FSU or da U will be going to the SEC most likely. Even more of a reason to take a Florida school.

Although this might be by far the best reason, when you are talking about opening up NEW markets that have existing Big Ten alumni in them I would think Tampa Bay would be either the first or second big city as far as population goes with Midwest alumni living in the metropolitan area. I know when I lived there I knew a lot of Midwest folk and who all loved Big Ten teams(which I can't stand). If you think about it from a dollars and cents point of view it does make sense! A LOT of CENTS and DOLLARS!

I'm not saying it's going to happen but I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Midwest PRESENCE in Tampa? As well as how big they are here. Ad to the fact the other points about recruiting Florida exclusively against a relatively new program in us and they would have they advantage. Then throw in the Tampa market and it really makes you think. Just a thought, I know it won't happen but I though it could be a possibility when you are talking money, location, recruiting, and even academics which our school is progressing at an extensive rate!

• Content Count:  505

Well here is a mention of looking south by the big ten.

http://m.si.com/news/cfb_sp/to_cfb_sports/detail/2620057

"We've talked from 10,000 feet about the census 20 years ago and the rust belt population, the Big Ten population versus movement to the Sun Belt over the last 20 years," Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said.

That data, he said, revealed a big shift in population to the South.

"More and more people have moved to the South," he said. "The Big Ten still has the largest population base of alumni, but we want to make sure years from now, if that movement continues, we're in position to say that."

When I say this it's all hypothetical but what if the Big Ten chooses USF along with the other 4 schools?

I know they want a school that is part of the AAU or whatever it is called, but to me that is something USF can accomplish within the next five years. Also they would give the Midwest teams a chance to play in Florida and recruit down here. As well as if the Big Ten does raid you know FSU or da U will be going to the SEC most likely. Even more of a reason to take a Florida school.

Although this might be by far the best reason, when you are talking about opening up NEW markets that have existing Big Ten alumni in them I would think Tampa Bay would be either the first or second big city as far as population goes with Midwest alumni living in the metropolitan area. I know when I lived there I knew a lot of Midwest folk and who all loved Big Ten teams(which I can't stand). If you think about it from a dollars and cents point of view it does make sense! A LOT of CENTS and DOLLARS!

I'm not saying it's going to happen but I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Midwest PRESENCE in Tampa? As well as how big they are here. Ad to the fact the other points about recruiting Florida exclusively against a relatively new program in us and they would have they advantage. Then throw in the Tampa market and it really makes you think. Just a thought, I know it won't happen but I though it could be a possibility when you are talking money, location, recruiting, and even academics which our school is progressing at an extensive rate!

From a market standpoint it makes sense. But that is the only viewpoint that makes sense.

USF doesn't have the athletic budget or facilities (although it is getting better) and it certainly doesn't have the history or the academic prestige.

Truthfully, if the Big Ten wanted to capture a Florida market, it would do better to invite Florida State. It has a larger fan base and appeals to more than just the Tampa Bay area for the Big Ten network. Adding FSU could force BrightHouse to offer BTN as part of the digital service in both Tampa Bay and Orlando markets... heck, that might actually be better for the Big Ten network than adding Rutgers!

But they have also said that the want a geographical footprint that makes sense. Unless they can add a major power (Texas?) they won't be looking south of the Mason-Dixon line anytime soon.

• Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Missouri officials on Monday denied an Associated Press request for documents related to the school's possible interest in the Big Ten. The university cited an exemption related to ongoing contract negotiations, but indicated it had not determined if such records even exist before responding with its denial.

Interesting that they denied access to records they're not sure they have

• Content Count:  771

From a market standpoint it makes sense. But that is the only viewpoint that makes sense.

USF doesn't have the athletic budget or facilities (although it is getting better) and it certainly doesn't have the history or the academic prestige.

Truthfully, if the Big Ten wanted to capture a Florida market, it would do better to invite Florida State.  It has a larger fan base and appeals to more than just the Tampa Bay area for the Big Ten network.  Adding FSU could force BrightHouse to offer BTN as part of the digital service in both Tampa Bay and Orlando markets... heck, that might actually be better for the Big Ten network than adding Rutgers!

But they have also said that the want a geographical footprint that makes sense.  Unless they can add a major power (Texas?) they won't be looking south of the Mason-Dixon line anytime soon.

Unless Genshaft can pull off a miracle and get accepted in the AAU within the next few months I don't think USF will even be looked at for big 10 expansion. 

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I've thought about this for a while and even though my hope is for USF to some day get into the SEC, I think the Big East should act before the Big10 by getting Notre Dame on board as a football member,  leaving them to their own contracts for TV but with a negotiated rate for the BE when they play a BE team.  Basically we would just  have them on board for scheduling purposes.  They may go for something like that.  Then add 1 or  2 teams from Boston College, TCU,  ECU, Memhis, and UCF.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  771

I've thought about this for a while and even though my hope is for USF to some day get into the SEC, I think the Big East should act before the Big10 by getting Notre Dame on board as a football member,  leaving them to their own contracts for TV but with a negotiated rate for the BE when they play a BE team.  Basically we would just  have them on board for scheduling purposes.  They may go for something like that.  Then add 1 or  2 teams from Boston College, TCU,  ECU, Memhis, and UCF.

Go Bulls!

nd not coming to the big east for football.  If Rutgers is the only team big east loses they will add ecu, ucf, or memphis, maybe tcu.  They may add 3 teams to make it 10 total. Boston college is not coming either because of the new acc deal with espn.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Go Bulls!

The Big East doesn't have/won't have the television dollars to get Notre Dame on board.

• Content Count:  6,928

Truthfully, if the Big Ten wanted to capture a Florida market, it would do better to invite Florida State.  It has a larger fan base and appeals to more than just the Tampa Bay area for the Big Ten network.  Adding FSU could force BrightHouse to offer BTN as part of the digital service in both Tampa Bay and Orlando markets... heck, that might actually be better for the Big Ten network than adding Rutgers!

But they have also said that the want a geographical footprint that makes sense.  Unless they can add a major power (Texas?) they won't be looking south of the Mason-Dixon line anytime soon.

Unless Genshaft can pull off a miracle and get accepted in the AAU within the next few months I don't think USF will even be looked at for big 10 expansion. 

Didn't praz judy Genshaft come from Ohio state?!? maybe she has some connections within OSU......

Archived