• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14,409
  • Days Won:  13

Rutgers spent $102,000,000.00 just on their football stadium expansion.

I don't believe they expanded the way that it was initially intended. Didn't they have a big mess with the State of NJ over the funding for the expansion?

The link I provided says it was a $102 million expansion to the football stadium and $12.5 million upgrade to the Hale Center.  Whether or not there was an issue over funding is irrelevent since the work is done.

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/stadium/stadium.asp

$102 million upgrade in union run, mafia influence NJ construction terms amounts to about $15 million in real upgrades.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smazza great point, why are all the other conferences quiet?

I find it hard to believe that the Big Ten is that much more powerful than all of the other BCS conferences combined. If they really wanted to they could turn the SEC into a conference that would blow away the Big Ten. All they would have to do is add Texas(The whole Texas market), Georgia Tech(Atlanta), Oklahoma(Also Texas Market plus Ok), and Fla St.

Then if they really wanted to make matters worse they would kick Vandy out and add Clemson.

That conference would dominate every sport in college athletics, as well as TV Markets and great academics. The real question is what is the SEC and the other conferences doing to come out on top this time.

The Big Ten is a joke from an athletics standpoint(I'm talking presently not 50 yrs ago when they would pick the best talent out of the Southern states) The only schools they have are Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Well guess what Michigan is a joke and Penn State will be when Joe Pa retires, he made that program.

What sports would they even be able to compete in against a Super power SEC conference like stated above? Baseball(hell no), football(your kidding right) basketball(nope), but maybe they would have a shot in Hockey, oh sorry MN and the Boston area dominate there!

The key to Big 10 power lies in its own HD network, pulls in tons of money in the areas that it has schools. That is the ONLY reason there is a big hub bub over the Big 10.

Big 10 says it's not so, but methinks the lady doth protest overmuch...

Rutgers is an interesting choice. Personally, I don't think it really brings the NYC market. Cuse would have been a much better choice to get NYC viewers, IMO.

Rutgers will get the BTN a lot of NJ viewers, but I don't see the urgency for NYC cable operators to add the BTN for RU. As of the end of 2008, it was not offered by Comcast (nor TWC AFAIK). And as far as UpstateNY goes, all they have to say is "Rutgers Who?"

I think it's a smokescreen to see how the NY media respond. I think they're really after Cuse, not Rutgers.

Actually, Time Warner NY/NJ offers it as part of their "Digital Sports Tier" -- my guess is having Rutgers could at least force Time Warner to add it to other bundles as Rutgers students, staff, and alumni would start lobbying for it -- adding to the demand from the Big Ten alumni living in the area.

Syracuse would not have the same effect for NYC cable demand.  Remember, the Big Ten plays a lot of games at the same time on Saturdays.  Rutgers fans have the luxury now of seeing their team play almost every game on an ESPN network (or syndicated on ESPN Regional).  However, in the Big Ten, that will not be true.  You can rest assured that Rutgers demand for games only available on the Big Ten Network will be a much louder voice than Syracuse fans.

Rutgers and Syracuse games are almost always on SportsNet NY, the official outlet for Big East TV.  http://web.sny.tv/index.jsp

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There was no Big Ten Network back then, so there were less revenue streams. If they decline, then the Big Ten takes a different Big East program and you would then have to worry about if the Big East is going to survive losing at least 2 football playing members, if not more, when the dust clears.

Hopefully if the Big East loses 2 football teams then they wise up, start dumping basketball only schools, and start beefing up the Conference.

However since the basketball teams run the show I don't see this happening and once the SEC and ACC join the show the Big East will die a slow painful death... hopefully we are picked up by the ACC or we will be SOL.

BE shouldhave done this years ago

why does basketball run the show?

catholic school should have been gone

nd should have been gone

failure to do thoses things created the situation BE is in now

Rutgers is an interesting choice. Personally, I don't think it really brings the NYC market. Cuse would have been a much better choice to get NYC viewers, IMO.

Rutgers will get the BTN a lot of NJ viewers, but I don't see the urgency for NYC cable operators to add the BTN for RU. As of the end of 2008, it was not offered by Comcast (nor TWC AFAIK). And as far as UpstateNY goes, all they have to say is "Rutgers Who?"

I think it's a smokescreen to see how the NY media respond. I think they're really after Cuse, not Rutgers.

Actually, Time Warner NY/NJ offers it as part of their "Digital Sports Tier" -- my guess is having Rutgers could at least force Time Warner to add it to other bundles as Rutgers students, staff, and alumni would start lobbying for it -- adding to the demand from the Big Ten alumni living in the area.

Syracuse would not have the same effect for NYC cable demand.  Remember, the Big Ten plays a lot of games at the same time on Saturdays.  Rutgers fans have the luxury now of seeing their team play almost every game on an ESPN network (or syndicated on ESPN Regional).  However, in the Big Ten, that will not be true.  You can rest assured that Rutgers demand for games only available on the Big Ten Network will be a much louder voice than Syracuse fans.

Rutgers and Syracuse games are almost always on SportsNet NY, the official outlet for Big East TV.  http://web.sny.tv/index.jsp

Yes. Now.

If they move to the Big Ten they won't be - as Big Ten games are not syndicated.

The point is moving to the Big Ten will force Cablevision, Time Warner, and others to make the Big Ten Network more widely available.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

Why does basketball rule the conference?

The Big East has been a basketball conference since it's inception. Only 2 of the charter members (Syracuse and BC) had D1 football programs when the league was formed in 1979 and the BE did not function as a football conference until Miami, Va Tech, and West Virginia joined. All of the "money" schools in the conference are basketball only or "I don't wan to play football with you guys" institutions.

Yes. Now.

If they move to the Big Ten they won't be - as Big Ten games are not syndicated.

The point is moving to the Big Ten will force Cablevision, Time Warner, and others to make the Big Ten Network more widely available.

Hey,I wish USF was Big Ten bound. I LOVE the Big Ten Network, even the commercials (school promos).

Yes. Now.

I doubt that will force them to take it out of their sports package. Both of them already carry it.  It didn't force Dish to put it any of its basic packages.  Big 10 gets paid per subscriber, a few cents, and while there is a demand, its nowhere near big enough for it to get equal footing as ESPN which is included in basic programming packages. 

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

A pretty large part of the New York area of dominant influence is comprised of New Jersey and the areas surrounding NYC. Its not just about the city itself. Throw in the fact that with Rutgers you also have a lot of alumni from the Philly area. Throw in the PSU connection in PA plus all the Big Ten fans and alums in the NY Tri-State TV market and the Big Ten Network has a cash cow of enormous proprtions on its hand. 

Rutgers makes a lot of sense financially

Yes. Now.

I doubt that will force them to take it out of their sports package. Both of them already carry it.  It didn't force Dish to put it any of its basic packages.  Big 10 gets paid per subscriber, a few cents, and while there is a demand, its nowhere near big enough for it to get equal footing as ESPN which is included in basic programming packages. 

It's around 70 cents per subscriber, and it COULD change.  Dish is an international company - Cablevision cares more about local than Dish.  The demand could push cable subscribers into carrying in a broader package (like an enhanced digital) rather than the a-la-carte sports package.

Archived