• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

The Big East doesn't have/won't have the television dollars to get Notre Dame on board.

That's correct, and that's why I say let them have their own TV deal, with a negotiated pay for Big East teams when they play a Big East team.  One scenario I've read about is the Big 10 wants to force ND to join by basically creating scheduling nightmares for ND. The problem is ND has a pretty nice TV deal of its own, and depending on who you ask it is less than or better than the Big 10 would provide for it.  They don't want to relinquish control.  If Notre Dame was brought into a fortified Big East under a special agreement, they could still work their own TV deal, but would have the advantage of a known conference schedule.  It would help the Big East stay together, and help Notre Dame if in fact they would end up with a scheduling problem otherwise.  Then I would push hard for Boston College to come back into the conference and one other team, especially if Rutgers leaves.

Some times things take creative measures and that's what it would take to get Notre Dame to join the Big East.

Go Bulls!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  14,409
  • Days Won:  13

If we need to add teams, I say screw UCF and look east. Houston. Their QB is already being talked about as a Heisman front runner. He had like 6,000 yards passing last season! Heck, Dallas is in the NFC East. :}

If we need to add teams, I say screw UCF and look east. Houston. Their QB is already being talked about as a Heisman front runner. He had like 6,000 yards passing last season! Heck, Dallas is in the NFC East. :}

Houston is WEST of here, my good sir.  East of Orlando is Daytona and then the Atlantic Ocean.

However, your knowledge of football is better than your knowledge of geography.  Houston IS a better selection than UCF.  A bigger TV market (even if they don't have the lion share of fans), easy to travel (Olympic sport and fan travel consideration), and a better history in all sports.

Heck, I would rather have Memphis over UCF as well.  The football programs are comparable, but it opens another market (Tennessee) and the Tigers have better Olympic sports programs.

• Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Anybody BUT UCiF.....................

• Content Count:  639

Houston is WEST of here, my good sir.  East of Orlando is Daytona and then the Atlantic Ocean.

However, your knowledge of football is better than your knowledge of geography.  Houston IS a better selection than UCF.  A bigger TV market (even if they don't have the lion share of fans), easy to travel (Olympic sport and fan travel consideration), and a better history in all sports.

Heck, I would rather have Memphis over UCF as well.  The football programs are comparable, but it opens another market (Tennessee) and the Tigers have better Olympic sports programs.

:laughingnew

this thread has been entertaining. Why not go ahead add Boise State to the Big East? anyone but UCF right? UCF has been a much better football program than Memphis the last several years, not to mention Memphis's attendance is at IAA levels. Houston's stadium is only 30K range in capacity and don't think there are any plans to get the capacity high enough to even get it near 50K. Don't think the Big East will go that far west into Texas.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

If UCF gets in a BCS conference, then I wouldn't be upset if we end up in a conference with them.  Easy road trip. 

It would force USF to build an OCS.  If a kid is given a chance to pick between two schools, both in central florida, both in the same conference, assuming he likes both staffs and educational opportunities, I think he would pick the school with the on campus atmosphere.  I think Holtz would agree. 

• Content Count:  771

this thread has been entertaining. Why not go ahead add Boise State to the Big East? anyone but UCF right? UCF has been a much better football program than Memphis the last several years, not to mention Memphis's attendance is at IAA levels. Houston's stadium is only 30K range in capacity and don't think there are any plans to get the capacity high enough to even get it near 50K. Don't think the Big East will go that far west into Texas.

I think it would be smart for the big east to look into getting a texas team.  whether it be tcu or houston.  I think ecu and ucf should also be considered for expansion.  If the big east starts there own network they will want as many markets as possible.  I see them maybe taking all of them plus memphis if they only lose rutgers to the big 10 and having 12 football teams.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Conferences need to start worrying less about geographic footprint if they're worried about maximizing dollars.

This is what the Big Ten is doing with all the Rutgers rumors. NJ/NY is out of their footprint but it opens up a huge new market. Getting the Big East into the TX market by adding TCU/Houston would be significant for marketing.

Hey, it was 1 am. lol. I meant look west not east.

Houston

Like USF was a good fit with the schools the Big East had left geographically? Houston has a QB Heisman trophy winner already and might have another this season. This school is going to be part of this year's hype and that's what USF was when we got into the Big East.  BTW Rentschler Field only seats 8,000 more then Houston's stadium, Nippert 2,000 more.  You think the Big East doesn't want UConn and Cincy?

Archived