• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

If we need to add teams, I say screw UCF and look east. Houston. Their QB is already being talked about as a Heisman front runner. He had like 6,000 yards passing last season! Heck, Dallas is in the NFC East. :}

Houston is WEST of here, my good sir.  East of Orlando is Daytona and then the Atlantic Ocean.

However, your knowledge of football is better than your knowledge of geography.  Houston IS a better selection than UCF.  A bigger TV market (even if they don't have the lion share of fans), easy to travel (Olympic sport and fan travel consideration), and a better history in all sports.

Heck, I would rather have Memphis over UCF as well.  The football programs are comparable, but it opens another market (Tennessee) and the Tigers have better Olympic sports programs.

:laughingnew

this thread has been entertaining. Why not go ahead add Boise State to the Big East? anyone but UCF right? UCF has been a much better football program than Memphis the last several years, not to mention Memphis's attendance is at IAA levels. Houston's stadium is only 30K range in capacity and don't think there are any plans to get the capacity high enough to even get it near 50K. Don't think the Big East will go that far west into Texas.

Houston

Houston has a QB Heisman trophy winner already and might have another this season. BTW Rentschler Field only seats 8,000 more then Houston's stadium, Nippert 2,000 more.  You think the Big East doesn't want UConn and Cincy?

I don't think Conference officials, University Presidents, and ADs base their decision on an efficient QB that will only play one more season. Market, potential growth, enrollment, facilities, making travel easier for olympic sports(WV coming down to play USF and UCF in baseball w/ one plane ride), etc are the key issues for expansion. This might be a mute point if the Big 10 waits till 2011 as Delany claims unless the Big East gets pro active(won't happen)

If UCF gets in a BCS conference, then I wouldn't be upset if we end up in a conference with them.  Easy road trip. 

It would force USF to build an OCS.  If a kid is given a chance to pick between two schools, both in central florida, both in the same conference, assuming he likes both staffs and educational opportunities, I think he would pick the school with the on campus atmosphere.  I think Holtz would agree. 

That's an interesting point. I don't really know how Holtz feels about that issue and I doubt he would say anything publicly either for or against it. I'm sure he would address internally w/ your AD. We know how the Jim felt about it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  14,409
  • Days Won:  13

If you are talking market size, Houston is larger then Atlanta. That is what the Big East looks at too. Imagine breaking into the Texas area, its like being in Florida.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

That's an interesting point. I don't really know how Holtz feels about that issue and I doubt he would say anything publicly either for or against it. I'm sure he would address internally w/ your AD. We know how the Jim felt about it.

Holtz is on record saying that football should be played on campus.  He understands the situation with USF being such a young program and realizes that Ray Jay is a great venue, but still thinks football should be on campus.  I agree.

Holtz is on record saying that football should be played on campus.  He understands the situation with USF being such a young program and realizes that Ray Jay is a great venue, but still thinks football should be on campus.  I agree.

He is on record since arriving at USF or was that back at ECU?

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

If you are talking market size, Houston is larger then Atlanta. That is what the Big East looks at too. Imagine breaking into the Texas area, its like being in Florida.

And TCU is in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.  Adding TCU and Houston would give teams in 2 of the top 8 population centers in the country.

go Bulls!

And TCU is in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.  Adding TCU and Houston would give teams in 2 of the top 8 population centers in the country.

go Bulls!

I'd like to see our teams playing in Texas. Recruiting wise, its the other hotbed. Getting players interested from that part of the country would do much for our program.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,648
  • Days Won:  424

If UCF gets in a BCS conference, then I wouldn't be upset if we end up in a conference with them.  Easy road trip. 

It would force USF to build an OCS.  If a kid is given a chance to pick between two schools, both in central florida, both in the same conference, assuming he likes both staffs and educational opportunities, I think he would pick the school with the on campus atmosphere.  I think Holtz would agree.

First of all, the last thing we want to do is be forced to build an OCS like UCF was. Second, for every kid that would pick UCF based on your scenario, there would be one that picks USF for the chance to play in a state of the art NFL stadium .... The recruiting angle is pretty much a moot point.

It is true in that UCF was forced into either spending a ton on upgrading the Citrus Bowl with little return or put that money toward a new stadium where they had control. Its not like they did it because its so cool to have an OCS. Too bad they went the cheap route. I mean, The Trampoline is not something that exudes class or prestige. More like flimsy and slipshod.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

First of all, the last thing we want to do is be forced to build an OCS like UCF was. Second, for every kid that would pick UCF based on your scenario, there would be one that picks USF for the chance to play in a state of the art NFL stadium .... The recruiting angle is pretty much a moot point.

I agree with you on stadiums Triple.  But I do think UCF would make serious inroads with their indoor practice facility. . . . . . . . . can't imagine kids from the 305 not being smitten with the notion of practicing in a temperature-controlled setting for a BCS level team.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

It is true in that UCF was forced into either spending a ton on upgrading the Citrus Bowl with little return or put that money toward a new stadium where they had control. Its not like they did it because its so cool to have an OCS. Too bad they went the cheap route. I mean, The Trampoline is not something that exudes class or prestige. More like flimsy and slipshod.

Not sure if they were forced or not, but their decision was pretty clear and they made the right one.

Carolina, please tell me you're not serious with that post?

Archived