• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

It is true in that UCF was forced into either spending a ton on upgrading the Citrus Bowl with little return or put that money toward a new stadium where they had control. Its not like they did it because its so cool to have an OCS. Too bad they went the cheap route. I mean, The Trampoline is not something that exudes class or prestige. More like flimsy and slipshod.

Not sure if they were forced or not, but their decision was pretty clear and they made the right one.

Carolina, please tell me you're not serious with that post?

Dead serious.  Any recruit who can be swayed by a stadium (where they will play no more than 28 times their entire career) can also be swayed by a practice facility where they'll train on a daily basis.

If I'm wrong USF needs to fill the dirt in and scrap plans for the Muma Basketball Center. . . . . . . because it won't help recruiting and the players can practice in the Sundome.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Fair enough Carolina. Our stadium is better and we're getting brand new practice facilities, with a pro turf field.

It is true in that UCF was forced into either spending a ton on upgrading the Citrus Bowl with little return or put that money toward a new stadium where they had control. Its not like they did it because its so cool to have an OCS. Too bad they went the cheap route. I mean, The Trampoline is not something that exudes class or prestige. More like flimsy and slipshod.

Not sure if they were forced or not, but their decision was pretty clear and they made the right one.

Dead serious. Any recruit who can be swayed by a stadium (where they will play no more than 28 times their entire career) can also be swayed by a practice facility where they'll train on a daily basis.

If I'm wrong USF needs to fill the dirt in and scrap plans for the Muma Basketball Center. . . . . . . because it won't help recruiting and the players can practice in the Sundome.

The Muma center is not about organized practice, it's about providing both programs with places the athletes can use when the Sun Dome is being used for other programs. Right now, the athletes have to share time with all students in the Rec center.

Football already has practice facilities that are only available to the team.

And indoor practice facility is a complete luxury item...

And I can tell you this, there isn't a single player anywhere that would choose UCF over USF simply because of facilities, even if we end up in the same conference.

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

That's an interesting point. I don't really know how Holtz feels about that issue and I doubt he would say anything publicly either for or against it. I'm sure he would address internally w/ your AD. We know how the Jim felt about it.

Holtz is on record saying that football should be played on campus.  He understands the situation with USF being such a young program and realizes that Ray Jay is a great venue, but still thinks football should be on campus.  I agree.

He is on record since arriving at USF or was that back at ECU?

I think it was at one of his town halls he had when he first got here.

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

If UCF gets in a BCS conference, then I wouldn't be upset if we end up in a conference with them.  Easy road trip. 

It would force USF to build an OCS.  If a kid is given a chance to pick between two schools, both in central florida, both in the same conference, assuming he likes both staffs and educational opportunities, I think he would pick the school with the on campus atmosphere.  I think Holtz would agree.

First of all, the last thing we want to do is be forced to build an OCS like UCF was. Second, for every kid that would pick UCF based on your scenario, there would be one that picks USF for the chance to play in a state of the art NFL stadium .... The recruiting angle is pretty much a moot point.

Forced is probably the wrong word, and forced to build an OCS like what UCF has is not what I had in mind....but I think it would make USF strongly consider building on campus.  If the plan were put in place now it would also show other conferences that might be looking at USF (if the Big East blows up) that we are serious about having football on campus like 99% of other traditional universities.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ray Jay.  I just think I would like an OCS more, if done the right way.  Not the UCF budget way, but the right way.  With construction costs down, now might be a good time to explore. 

• Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

If UCF gets in a BCS conference, then I wouldn't be upset if we end up in a conference with them.  Easy road trip. 

It would force USF to build an OCS.  If a kid is given a chance to pick between two schools, both in central florida, both in the same conference, assuming he likes both staffs and educational opportunities, I think he would pick the school with the on campus atmosphere.  I think Holtz would agree.

First of all, the last thing we want to do is be forced to build an OCS like UCF was. Second, for every kid that would pick UCF based on your scenario, there would be one that picks USF for the chance to play in a state of the art NFL stadium .... The recruiting angle is pretty much a moot point.

I agree with you on stadiums Triple.  But I do think UCF would make serious inroads with their indoor practice facility. . . . . . . . . can't imagine kids from the 305 not being smitten with the notion of practicing in a temperature-controlled setting for a BCS level team.

Indoor training facilities are for wimps.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,593
  • Days Won:  424

Forced is probably the wrong word, and forced to build an OCS like what UCF has is not what I had in mind....but I think it would make USF strongly consider building on campus.  If the plan were put in place now it would also show other conferences that might be looking at USF (if the Big East blows up) that we are serious about having football on campus like 99% of other traditional universities.

I just don't see that being a factror. IMO, when/if conferences look to expand, any footall criteria looked at will be TV market, on the field success/potential and, possibly, attendance. The location of the games being played won't have any bearing at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ray Jay.  I just think I would like an OCS more, if done the right way.  Not the UCF budget way, but the right way.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that disagrees that, with an emphasis on "done the right way".

• Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

Dead serious.  Any recruit who can be swayed by a stadium (where they will play no more than 28 times their entire career) can also be swayed by a practice facility where they'll train on a daily basis.

And indoor practice facility is a complete luxury item...

And I can tell you this, there isn't a single player anywhere that would choose UCF over USF simply because of facilities, even if we end up in the same conference.

I agree with you on stadiums Triple.  But I do think UCF would make serious inroads with their indoor practice facility. . . . . . . . . can't imagine kids from the 305 not being smitten with the notion of practicing in a temperature-controlled setting for a BCS level team.

Indoor training facilities are for wimps.

The indoor practice field facility is used more the first month of practices where there is a threat of afternoon thunderstorms/lightning just about everyday. Don't think it's used daily unless their next opponent plays on the fake stuff where they just might practice in the indoor facility more. Good example was prior to the St. Pete Bowl there was no need to practice on the outdoor fields.

And the articles that interview new commits for basketball and football mention the facilities/campus a lot, so it is a factor for some recruits. Seen it mentioned a lot recently w/ the latest basketball recruits UCF has pulled in the last few weeks late in the recruiting season. It is not the only factor obviously, it all depends on where the individual feels comfortable. A recruit might like everything but doesn't feel as comfortable with the coaching staff. Now maybe the case in Football where the conference you are in carries so much weight, if the conference is the same, playing time will be the same, he likes both coaching staffs, etc then the city/surrounding area entertainment/nightlife, campus, and facilities might be the deciding factor.

Archived