• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

You ever been to the city? It's WVU fans everywhere.

Yes, and Penn State has the most fans there.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

mikebeau:I'd rather USF get out of the Beast

Where realistically would you want USF to go? 

16 team acc

i dont think sec will add.  they already have a ****load of money.

Mike Slive commissioner of SEC has already stated that the SEC will not be left behind if the Big 10 makes a move.

id like to see that quote.  I remember something more along the lines of him saying they would always monitor the situation and evaluate.  the big 11 could add 20 teams and the sec wouldnt be left behind though

You're right, I'm wrong. What he said was:

"Given the success we've experienced over the past decade, we are comfortable in the position in which we find ourselves," he said. "Having said that, if there's going to be a significant shift in the conference paradigm, the SEC will be strategic and thoughtful in order to maintain its position as one of the nation's premiere conferences."

Now, if you want to interpret that statement as them NOT expanding you can. I'm pretty sure that most will agree that I've interpreted it to mean that the SEC will not be left behind. So, since I didn't use Quotation marks, it is clearly understood that the SEC will not be left behind. Also for those of you that say the SEC is already #1, maybe on the field, but not in the bank.

i agree with you that they wont let themselves get left behind.  It seems more and more they can just steal from another big conference.  Ive also heard a good argument that the SEC would probably stay near its other universities proximity wise.  Clemson, GTech, FSU etc.  Minimize travel expenses. 

That would leave the ACC trying to build back up.

Also, pretty sure the SEC is #1 in the back.  They just signed a multibillion dollar contract with ESPN.  Also gets big money from CBS.  Most of their stadiums are huge, and full every Saturday(some exceptions)

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

That's why pitt was probably never going to get invited.  I guarantee the big 10 asked these three questions....

1-  Do they bring a new market?

2-  Do they fit academically?

3-  Are they reasonably within our geographical area?

If you could not say yes to all three the university would not get invited.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Maybe, and UF has the most fans most places in Florida as well. You'll notice I left PSU out of my argument completely. Everyone in PA is a fan in some way of PSU.

Point being, WVU and Pitt are pretty neck and neck imo. Penn State is almost bigger than college football. There's a lot of Notre Dame fans in western PA as well for that same reason.

Pittsburgh is a great pro town, it's a front running utter joke of a college football town.

Nebraska? I did not know they were interested in them.

Only 1 Big East Football team...Do you think Notre Dame accepts? I mean the Big 10 deal will have to have them making more than they already do as an independent with their own TV deal.

The Big Ten network brings in considerably more money than ND gets as an Indy.

Here is a report from a year ago: http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/06/15/as-notre-dames-tv-money-dwindles-so-too-should-its-independenc/

That's why pitt was probably never going to get invited.  I guarantee the big 10 asked these three questions....

1-  Do they bring a new market?

2-  Do they fit academically?

3-  Are they reasonably within our geographical area?

If you could not say yes to all three the university would not get invited.

First, y'all have to understand it's not about the BROADCAST market.  It's about the CABLE market.

In Pittsburgh, Comcast includes the Big Ten network only on certain "Tiers" -- with Pitt in the mix, the Big Ten has more leverage in Pittsburgh to push Comcast to make it more widely available.

Moreover, the Big Ten network could demand a higher subscriber fee by offering both Penn State AND Pittsburgh to the Comcast subscribers in Pittsburgh.

So, the first question should not be " Do they bring a new market?" -- instead it should be "Do they give us the ability to push the Big Ten Network out to more people OR push the per-subscriber fee higher?" 

• Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

Latest unsubstantiated report has only Rutgers, and ND, offered from Big East schools by Big 10 according to ESPN Radio KC. Also offered to Nebraska and Missouri. This on Sports Center now.

• Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

Under this scenario, if true, Rutgers might not even get a formal invite. Hopefully its the Big 12 that gets raided and it stops there.

http://www.810whb.com/article/3527

Big Ten makes initial offer to Big 12 pair

The Big Ten Conference has extended initial offers to join the league to four universities including Missouri and Nebraska from the Big 12, according to multiple sources close to the negotiations.

While nothing can be approved until the Big Ten presidents and chancellors meet the first week of June in Chicago, the league has informed the two Big 12 schools, Notre Dame and Rutgers that it would like to have them join. It is not yet clear whether the Big Ten will expand to 14 or 16 teams but sources indicated Missouri and Nebraska are invited in either scenario.  Notre Dame has repeatedly declined the opportunity to join the Big Ten.  If Notre Dame remains independent, Rutgers would be the 14th team.  The Big Ten would then decide whether to stop at 14 or extend offers to two other schools.  If Notre Dame joins, sources say an offer will be extended to one other school making it a 16-team league.

In order for the University of Missouri to join the Big Ten, the Missouri Board of Regents will still have to approve the move.  Sources close to the governing body say the Big Ten has told officials that Mizzou could add $1.3 million per month in revenue to the lucrative Big Ten Television Network.  The Big Ten Network is currently offered on basic cable to very few of over 7 million residents living in Missouri television markets and adding it throughout the state will be a windfall for the conference.

Big Ten representatives have also told Missouri officials they would like to have the entire expansion process wrapped up this summer with a formal announcement coming no later than July.

The University of Missouri is currently under contract with the Big 12 conference and will have to pay a stiff penalty to leave the Big 12.  The Big 12 charter states any member will lose between 50 and 100 percent of its shared annual revenue depending on the length of notice any school gives.  According to published reports, Missouri receives around $9 million annually in shared football revenue from the Big 12.  According to sources, it seems likely Missouri would give one- year notice.   It is projected that Missouri's football revenues would increase by $10 million or more per year when it joins the Big Ten versus what it currently receives in the Big 12.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

other conferences are very quiet

Archived