• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

Here we go!, What's going to happen to the BE and USF??

Big 10 offers Notre Dame, Missouri, Nebraska and Rutgers to join league.

And before anyone starts giving me ****

http://www.mlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/05/report_big_ten_to_extend_invit.html

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-big-10-missouri-nebraska-051010,0,2844518.story

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2010/05/report_big_ten_extends_offers.html

etc, etc

Not just directed at you, coph, but I get a kick out of people throwing multiple links to breaking news, like the number gives it credibility, when, in reality, all the linked stories comes from just one source.  ;)

It may be true but I'll wait for some more independent sources popping up before worrying about it...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

it is going to happen

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Smazza, I agree that USF really hasn't done much to distinguish themselves. However, moving into the BE was a step up into a superior conference. We are still building and growing into this level of competition.

I disagree that Rutgers has distinguished themselves. Other than ladies bb they have not risen to the top of anything. Plus, they have been a long standing member of the BE.

On the other hand, I would argue that UCONN is the one team that has quietly distinguished themelves. They own a share of a conference FB championship and of course they are already a national powerhouse in BB in both mens and ladies. They are the team that has stepped up yet aren't offered. It is pretty clear the offer to join Big Ten is about TV revenue potential. Rutgers is in between two of the largest tv markets in the country (NY and Philly). They didn't offer Rutgers for proven success on the field. There isn't any championships to point to.

• Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

Memphis

East Carolina

Texas Christian

Central Florida

Marshall

UCF is fourth because they don't add much beyond Orlando and with the increasing amount of USF coverage in Orlando that might not be enough.  Also the BE seems to have an unwritten one team to one state rule in FB.

most sources the last few months have no mention of pursing TCU when the dominoes fall. The Schools always mentioned are UCF, Memphis, and ECU. USF is still #5 in Orlando as UCF is most likely #5 in Tampa. Not much USF coverage in Orlando. UCF is at worst #2 on that list and has been mostly mentioned as the #1 choice if you are talking non-AQ options. College Football is not baseball, there are no unwritten rules. If the report has any truth, ND most likely says no b/c they can, and Rutgers bolts. Under this scenario the Big East adds 1-2 teams and most likely survives. But we'll see how true it is and how other conferences react in the next month.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

it is going to happen

That cinches it for me ....

• Content Count:  4,738

mikebeau:I'd rather USF get out of the Beast

Where realistically would you want USF to go? 

16 team acc

i dont think sec will add.  they already have a ******** of money.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

16 team acc

i dont think sec will add.  they already have a ****load of money.

Mike Slive commissioner of SEC has already stated that the SEC will not be left behind if the Big 10 makes a move.

• Content Count:  4,738

16 team acc

i dont think sec will add.  they already have a ****load of money.

Mike Slive commissioner of SEC has already stated that the SEC will not be left behind if the Big 10 makes a move.

id like to see that quote.  I remember something more along the lines of him saying they would always monitor the situation and evaluate.  the big 11 could add 20 teams and the sec wouldnt be left behind though

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

If Notre Dame left, would the Big East talk to Boston College about coming back?

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

this isnt good for usf to be in a watered down conference

but lets face it

usf has done nothing to distinguish themselves so they arent getting upgrades

it is a shame because at the end of the day usf undertachieved and rutgers overachieved and they were rewarded

What on earth are you talking about?  According to the reports, the only team the Big East would truly lose is Rutgers.  Great school, but awful sports programs.  Hell, I'd go so far to say losing Rutgers would be addition by subtraction because we could add stronger members (in terms of sports).

As for ND-- good bye!  They're not really a football member and Big East basketball would be fine without ND. 

I sure hope this news is true and that ND accepts.  This means not only would the Big East stay intact, but it would also be in a position to add new members.  As long as they can find a way to add new members without including UCF in those plans, USF would come out a winner in an improved Big East conference. 

Archived