• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

what market do they bring in?  Thats what all the expansion is about.  If the big east starts its own network which is what they are talking about,  what market does ecu bring to the table?  UCF is the 3rd largest school in the nation and they bring the orlando (19th in the country) market.

The Eastern portion of North Carolina is very populated. Greg Auman even mentioned in a different thread that ECU gets a good deal of publicity in the Raleigh area.

I'd rather have the better football program and I'd say that ECU fits that bill.

Out of curiousity, what market does WVU bring?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

what market do they bring in?  Thats what all the expansion is about.  If the big east starts its own network which is what they are talking about,  what market does ecu bring to the table?  UCF is the 3rd largest school in the nation and they bring the orlando (19th in the country) market.

The Eastern portion of North Carolina is very populated. Greg Auman even mentioned in a different thread that ECU gets a good deal of publicity in the Raleigh area.

I'd rather have the better football program and I'd say that ECU fits that bill.

none that is why they have been left out of all the expansion talk

So then market size shouldn't be the sole reason for expansion.

I'd also see the Big East being proactive if the ACC is somehow affected. Boston College would be ripe to take back and there could be a play for Maryland.

• Content Count:  3,103

WVU brings in the entire state of West Virginia, as well as parts of Western PA and Pittsburg which is only like 70 miles from WVU

WVU doesn't bring the Pittsburgh market like you think they do. Heck, there are probably more Penn State fans in Pittsburgh than Pitt and WVU fans.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

ECU has a better football team on paper, but UCF has more potential. One could argue that both ECU and UCF are the 5th ranked school in terms of hierarchy in their state (ECU behind the 4 ACC schools, UCF behind UF/FSU/Miami/USF), but UCF has a much bigger talent pool to pull from, esp with a BCS tag. ECU does well, but I see UCF as the sexy pick. Even though UCF is a little behind ECU in terms of football prowess, their TV market and other stats are more lucrative.

I still think ECU (and even Memphis - the basketball draw is too juicy) still get in the BE, esp if we lose 2 members, and add 3 to go to nine overall...but UCF will be the first invite. There's just too much there to pass up on.

I think BC is a feasible steal, but I'm still unsure about Maryland. People bring them up alot, but they're a charter ACC member, and if BC leaves, they're the northernmost ACC school, but not by far. They're right close to the VA schools and NC isn't that much farther south. If the ACC got smart and split into North-South, they'd have better travel setups. Unless the ACC keeps BC and adds UConn to fill in the northern atlantic coast area.

• Content Count:  771

So then market size shouldn't be the sole reason for expansion.

I'd also see the Big East being proactive if the ACC is somehow affected. Boston College would be ripe to take back and there could be a play for Maryland.

If all of these schools accept the offer, maryland will be invited to join the big 10 to become the 16th member.  The Big 10 would be more than willing to stay pat at 15 members if they can't get a new market or a school that doesn't have decent academics.  Market size is the sole reason for expansion, that is why WVU was not offered in 03 to join the big east (academics had some to do with that also).  I rather have ecu join the big east also, but I see them inviting ucf first because of market size.

• Content Count:  639

so much for seismic shifts.  if this is in fact true, I see nd declining and the big 10 staying pat with 14 teams.  The only seismic shift will be out west.  The only way nd accepts the invite is if the big 10 threatens to take two more big east schools if they don't accept. UCF will be invited to join the big east.  ECU does not add anything to the big east.  Everyone makes fun of there attendance at there games, but you forget that was usf a couple years ago.  If ucf plays meaningful games in a bcs conference you will start to see there attendance rise like ours has.  up until 07 usf hardly ever opened the upper level at rayjay.  

good unbiased post. Everyone keeps mentioning ECU being the better football team the last few years, but they just lost their head football coach and whole staff to USF and FSU(very good defensive coordinator).  It shouldn't be assumed they will be just fine with a rookie coach. They are about half the enrollment and a smaller market than UCF.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

WVU doesn't bring the Pittsburgh market like you think they do. Heck, there are probably more Penn State fans in Pittsburgh than Pitt and WVU fans.

Umm...WVU probably brings more of the Pittsburgh market than Pitt does. Remember, Pittsburgh has a larger market than most places in WV so they seem to graduate and then work in Pittsburgh.

You ever been to the city? It's WVU fans everywhere.

Obviously it's somewhat of an exaggeration that there are more WVU fans than Pitt fans there, but at every shop there is WVU stuff adjacent to the Pitt stuff.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

ECU does not add anything to the big east.

They don't? Of the 3 most likely Big East expansion candidates (ECU, Memphis, UCF), ECU has the better football program.

Memphis will be a key player now with Tranghese helping them and with the Big East getting a tie in to the Liberty Bowl. If the Big East were to take Memphis, then you'd get the Liberty Bowl full time.

A good ECU brings in the entire Carolina region when/if it proves successful. It's not exactly competing against power houses (football wise) in the region. Clemson and USC are the real major players, UNC is pretty close, and Duke/NC State are marginal.  Basketball wise, ECU will bring no market.

Archived