• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 10 raiding BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

What you have to realize is when the Big Ten expands other conferences are going to have to follow suit and makeup for the teams they have lost. The Big East is such a small conference from a football standpoint I think USF will be fine.

The only variable now is we have a big figure in our corner in Tagliabue and he wants the Big East to stay together for his legacy as a player and potential earnings. I think the Big East TV could save the conference and draw some schools out of other power conferences like the ACC. BC might not have a choice but to comeback and bring the Boston area as would Miami since they haven't gotten anywhere since the move. So potentially you could have Miami, Boston, Tampa, Orlando(if you add UCF, which I'm not against nor for), Cincinnati, Louisville, New York, Pittsburgh Connecticut area, area surrounding Cuse (guessing Buffalo, Albany and Toronto have a decent following) and WV which is allover in Maryland and PA. That's like most of the big cities on the East Coast and I'm not talking college towns, especially with the economy the way it is most people can't afford to travel back to there small college towns. With a conference made up of big cities that would make it a lot easier and cheaper.

Then you add a Notre Dame and say they can keep their NBC money and only play 8 maybe even 7 conference games a year with a championship game. I think those BIG TV markets alone would trump any league and keep the Beast alive. Granted it would be a big undertaking but could bring in some serious cash considering the markets. The one thing the Beast does have is Big TV markets and some great tradition as well. But if the Beast folds where will the leftover Northeastern schools go? They would really be out of place like UCONN, WV, Louisville and Cinci which are all great schools(compared to the ones we are talking about adding) with big populations and great traditions.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

mikebeau:I'd rather USF get out of the Beast

Where realistically would you want USF to go? 

16 team acc

i dont think sec will add.  they already have a ****load of money.

Mike Slive commissioner of SEC has already stated that the SEC will not be left behind if the Big 10 makes a move.

id like to see that quote.  I remember something more along the lines of him saying they would always monitor the situation and evaluate.  the big 11 could add 20 teams and the sec wouldnt be left behind though

You're right, I'm wrong. What he said was:

"Given the success we've experienced over the past decade, we are comfortable in the position in which we find ourselves," he said. "Having said that, if there's going to be a significant shift in the conference paradigm, the SEC will be strategic and thoughtful in order to maintain its position as one of the nation's premiere conferences."

Now, if you want to interpret that statement as them NOT expanding you can. I'm pretty sure that most will agree that I've interpreted it to mean that the SEC will not be left behind. So, since I didn't use Quotation marks, it is clearly understood that the SEC will not be left behind. Also for those of you that say the SEC is already #1, maybe on the field, but not in the bank.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

ND will not accept the bid... they have turned down the Big10 consistently since the 1990's and twice last year. As for Mizzou and Nebraska well I think that is a package deal and if one backs out then so will the other one... they are both heated rivals and I don't see them parting ways to jump ship for an inferior conference unless its together.

• Content Count:  1,757

The only way we come out better is if we somehow keep our remaining members and add Maryland and BC. Lots of chips left to fall

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

ND will not accept the bid... they have turned down the Big10 consistently since the 1990's and twice last year.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There was no Big Ten Network back then, so there were less revenue streams. If they decline, then the Big Ten takes a different Big East program and you would then have to worry about if the Big East is going to survive losing at least 2 football playing members, if not more, when the dust clears.

Are you still wondering why Missouri wouldn't be jumping for the Big 10 yet?

• Content Count:  771

so much for seismic shifts.  if this is in fact true, I see nd declining and the big 10 staying pat with 14 teams.  The only seismic shift will be out west.  The only way nd accepts the invite is if the big 10 threatens to take two more big east schools if they don't accept. UCF will be invited to join the big east.  ECU does not add anything to the big east.  Everyone makes fun of there attendance at there games, but you forget that was usf a couple years ago.  If ucf plays meaningful games in a bcs conference you will start to see there attendance rise like ours has.  up until 07 usf hardly ever opened the upper level at rayjay.  

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I hope that the Bulls don't get left behind c-usa II/ The new Big East. If we're in the same conference with three or more non BCS teams. That is call a demotion, downgrade, dropped, left behind. We'll be back to the kiddie table. It's the move up or bust.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

ECU does not add anything to the big east.

They don't? Of the 3 most likely Big East expansion candidates (ECU, Memphis, UCF), ECU has the better football program.

Memphis will be a key player now with Tranghese helping them and with the Big East getting a tie in to the Liberty Bowl. If the Big East were to take Memphis, then you'd get the Liberty Bowl full time.

• Content Count:  771

ECU does not add anything to the big east.

They don't? Of the 3 most likely Big East expansion candidates (ECU, Memphis, UCF), ECU has the better football program.

Memphis will be a key player now with Tranghese helping them and with the Big East getting a tie in to the Liberty Bowl. If the Big East were to take Memphis, then you'd get the Liberty Bowl full time.

what market do they bring in?  Thats what all the expansion is about.  If the big east starts its own network which is what they are talking about,  what market does ecu bring to the table?  UCF is the 3rd largest school in the nation and they bring the orlando (19th in the country) market.

• Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

why are all other conferences silent

Archived