• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Teams opting out of NIT . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,875
  • Days Won:  67

4 hours ago, smazza said:

seems so unfair to the kids that schools decide to opt out

i dont understand st johns opting out

Screw them, they are getting paid, it is a nice life lesson for when they go out on their own.  Life ain’t fair, deal with it. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

22 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I don’t disagree and it is and always has been about money.  I am just not so sure this will be financially advantageous, the pool will shrink but I think the pot will too.  I adapted to life after the MLB and the NBA, I am sure I will after I stop watching college sports as well.  I can always find something to amuse me and as long as we still have alcohol and gambling I may be watching cricket in the future and enjoying it, who knows. 

You're the best. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,875
  • Days Won:  67

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

You're the best. 

Not sure if that was a compliment or a dig, either way luv ya Cuz!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

Just now, Friscobull said:

Not sure if that was a compliment or a dig, either way luv ya Cuz!

It was a compliment. Had me laughing.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,474
  • Days Won:  0

People would care more about the NIT, if ESPN even pretended to care. Where's the bracket page on their site for the NIT? Doesn't exist. The media is hardly following it, so how can fans care even if they want to?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,905
  • Days Won:  33

It was interesting to see how many other team apparently opted out of the NIT. I saw FSU on that list. I guess it makes sense for them because they probably wanted no part of playing us again, or UCF for that matter.

Seeing some mid majors on the opt out list, St. Bonaventure for one, was laughable.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  956
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/17/2024 at 9:57 PM, ClassOf2005Bull said:

I think some people are missing the point of NIT declines. 

1. With how the transfer portal works now, it actually can be beneficial to decline the invite b/c you get a jump on the teams in the tournament and if the goal is to make the tournament, then you need to upgrade where needed. It's not always about the team declining due to "sour grapes."

2. Everyone **** on UNC last year saying they were "arrogant" for declining, but it gave them a jump on the portal and look at them this season. Are we UNC? Absolutely not, but it doesn't mean we can just overlook any competitive advantage we can get for next season. If it means opting out of a secondary tournament that generates little interest, then so be it. 

3. At the end of the day, all the "good sports" can argue "it's more games," "It's a chance to compete", etc. The tournament is looked on as a JV trophy and most guys at this level don't really get "amped up" to play for a JV trophy and save the "The best way to show them we deserved to be in it, is to go win the NIT." Cause those who have the power to make those determinations don't care and aren't thinking "You know, USF really proved us wrong by going and winning that tournament." 

Support the team no matter what, but let's not act like if we play or don't play that the NIT is going to have much of an impact, if any, on next season. This isn't thirty years ago, it's a new era in college sports, whether we like it or not and championships matter to these kids. Not consolation games.

You’re right, we are not UNC and most schools are not. The NIT serves a dual purpose, 1) it gives seniors on the team one last chance to play and try to win something. 2) for teams that recruit and develop, it gives the younger kids more games and a feel for playing post season ball to season them for next year. Schools like UNC, Duke, Kentucky all have one and done’s, which means this tournament is pointless. Schools like Maryland, Ole Miss, Pitt don’t get that type of high talent one and done’s so this is foolish. The NIT is still a way to get your name out there and the “extra” week of not recruiting is not going to sway a recruit one way or another. I personally think it’s disrespectful to all of college basketball and the players to just “quit” on the season early. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,407
  • Days Won:  5

The full list of NIT-declining schools, per ESPN: Arizona State, California, Florida State, Indiana, Maryland, Memphis, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Pitt, St. Bonaventure, St. John's, Stanford, Syracuse, UCLA, USC, Washington

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

Did I see somewhere that our WBB team declined an invite to the WNIT?   Is that just a rumor or is that confirmed?

Edited by olafberserker

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,474
  • Days Won:  0

28 minutes ago, bcgruber said:

The full list of NIT-declining schools, per ESPN: Arizona State, California, Florida State, Indiana, Maryland, Memphis, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Pitt, St. Bonaventure, St. John's, Stanford, Syracuse, UCLA, USC, Washington

Net rankings of opt-outs:

32 St. John's
40 Pitt
46 Oklahoma
69 Washington
75 Memphis

These teams that opted out were never getting invites to the NIT (hilarious that they declined an invite that was never coming)

82 Maryland
84 Syracuse
87 St. Bonaventure
88 USC
90 Ole Miss
96 Florida State
98 Indiana
107 UCLA
113 Stanford
128 California
134 Arizona State
165 Oregon State