• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Teams opting out of NIT . . .

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,445
  • Days Won:  19

2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

The Portal opening today is wild. I’d hate to be a coach in today’s environment. 

Can players switch and play for a higher seeded team in the NCAA tourney?  I mean it's basic dance etiquette, is it not?

PPT - Know Dance Etiquette to Grow Your Dancing Skills PowerPoint  Presentation - ID:7167479

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  956
  • Days Won:  1

19 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

So I see Mississippi, Pitt and St. John’s have already announced they won’t accept NIT invitations. Collegiate sports . . . what to make of it? No thanks to postseason bids, players opting out of bowl games, free agency transfer process, UCLA and Rutgers in the same conference, etc. It’s becoming really hard to justify paying attention to any of this.

I’m sorry to say, but College sports are dead. When reflecting on my youth, I LOVED college sports more than professional sports because of the rivalries, regional battles, students doing extraordinary things and the fact you could see that a lot of the kids loved their schools and had pride in being apart of that. It was more down to earth and relatable. It has gotten so bad, my kids don’t even watch college sports anymore. It’s sad that we let it get this bad. I say “we” because we the people can refuse to give money and rating to these greedy conferences by not watching. Sorry, but it makes me sad. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, BULLSHTR said:

Can someone explain to me how a team that finished 12th in their conference goes to any post-season tournament, let alone get the home game over a regular season conference champion?

College basketball is even worse than football! ESPN doesn't even have an area on their NCAAM site for the NIT. Embarassing.

(Short answer because of NIT revised selection guidelines) 

NIT took the 2 highest ranked NET teams from the Big 12 not taken by the NCAA tourney.  Those would have been Cincy and Oklahoma.  With Oklahoma opting out, the next highest net team was UCF.  They took Kansas St. as an at-large team which had a lower NET than UCF.  So if Oklahoma didn't opt out, UCF would have taken K-State's place and had the matchup against #3 Iowa and we'd probably be playing Oklahoma.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,445
  • Days Won:  19

6 minutes ago, michibull said:

I’m sorry to say, but College sports are dead. When reflecting on my youth, I LOVED college sports more than professional sports because of the rivalries, regional battles, students doing extraordinary things and the fact you could see that a lot of the kids loved their schools and had pride in being apart of that. It was more down to earth and relatable. It has gotten so bad, my kids don’t even watch college sports anymore. It’s sad that we let it get this bad. I say “we” because we the people can refuse to give money and rating to these greedy conferences by not watching. Sorry, but it makes me sad. 

Welcome to the CFCC (College Curmudgeon Collective)!  I think it is the natural progression of things.

image.png.fdae33626b4d4ab3292637cca17aa6d2.png

• Upvote 1
  • Crying 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,875
  • Days Won:  67

4 hours ago, SilverBull said:

Welcome to the CFCC (College Curmudgeon Collective)!  I think it is the natural progression of things.

image.png.fdae33626b4d4ab3292637cca17aa6d2.png

It is however he definitely has a point.  The road we are on is straight into a ditch, this is more than a bunch of old guys reminiscing about the good ole days, the current model may not destroy the sport but it will definitely weaken it. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

It is however he definitely has a point.  The road we are on is straight into a ditch, this is more than a bunch of old guys reminiscing about the good ole days, the current model may not destroy the sport but it will definitely weaken it. 

and unfortunately the powers that be don't care if the quality overall goes down as long as the $$$$ keep going up .... 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,443
  • Days Won:  25

The second the fans voluntered to pay the players with NIL , it opened the flood gates to get bigger tv contracts for power conferences. The conferences and NCAA realized why share our profits when the fans are dumb enough to pay the players that the NCAA and universities profit off with tv contracts, ticket sales, and merchandise. It was the wolf disguised in sheeps clothing and it killed college football  and college sports as we know it. Now it has gone even further and they are paying high school athletes in some states and some states including Florida want to put in in the state house to vote on. 

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

seems so unfair to the kids that schools decide to opt out

i dont understand st johns opting out

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,875
  • Days Won:  67

13 hours ago, olafberserker said:

and unfortunately the powers that be don't care if the quality overall goes down as long as the $$$$ keep going up .... 

I don’t disagree and it is and always has been about money.  I am just not so sure this will be financially advantageous, the pool will shrink but I think the pot will too.  I adapted to life after the MLB and the NBA, I am sure I will after I stop watching college sports as well.  I can always find something to amuse me and as long as we still have alcohol and gambling I may be watching cricket in the future and enjoying it, who knows.