• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Teams opting out of NIT . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

22 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Didn't our WBB turn down the WNIT invite?

I had to do research on this one, you have to pay to play in the WNIT and the WBIT, but unlike the mens NIT, it's not run by the NCAA.     

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  2

18 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

True. I hadn't really followed the women's team this year and just read it on the board, so it was easier to swallow. The women's team has been so consistent where NCAAT as of late has almost become a norm. And I guess if you are an elite team its easier to refuse a NIT bid

But I think for the two major sports; football and men's basketball you take whatever post season play you can get.

However, if there comes a day where we refuse a NIT bid for men's basketball, it would probably mean that we have gone to multiple NCAAT, and at that point us refusing a NIT bid will become easier to swallow as well.

Well, if a team does not have players to play because they've put their names in the portal or the coach knows that many of them would enter the portal, I imagine they would want to opt out so that they can focus on rebuilding their roster with the best players available before other teams got the chance to compete.

I imagine that was the issue with the women's team. Incidentally, in his post-game presser yesterday, CAAR heavily criticized coaches for opting out of the NIT. He may have thrown CJF under the bus without realizing it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  10

8 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Well, if a team does not have players to play because they've put their names in the portal or the coach knows that many of them would enter the portal, I imagine they would want to opt out so that they can focus on rebuilding their roster with the best players available before other teams got the chance to compete.

I imagine that was the issue with the women's team. Incidentally, in his post-game presser yesterday, CAAR heavily criticized coaches for opting out of the NIT. He may have thrown CJF under the bus without realizing it.

One easy fix would be for the NCAA governing body to change the opening date of the transfer portal to the day after all the tournaments are finished.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

57 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Didn't our WBB turn down the WNIT invite?

My understanding is the WNIT is now the equivalent to the men's CBI. The WBIT is now the equivalent to the NIT, run by the NCAA and we would have gone if invited to it ...

Edited by Triple B
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

I think Jose was freeing himself up to interview for that opening at Miami.   The pesky WNIT games would get in the way.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170

I think the main point CAAR was making wasn't that teams opted out, but who went in to replace them like just throwing in UCF because they were the next school from the Big12.  I think it was more of a jab that UCF wasn't deserving of an NIT team when other teams out there deserved it more.

• Like 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,746
  • Days Won:  3

On the plus side, once March Madness expands to 96 teams, we're done with the 'everybody gets a trophy' NIT which gets rid of the 'travel logistics, portal considerations' line of thinking. What we could do, if we really wanted to, is slam the portal shut until the clock ticks zero on all post-season play. Just something to ponder as there is always room for improvement. :FIREdevil:

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  2

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

FOX Sports and AEG are launching the College Basketball Crown, a 16-team men's postseason tournament, which will begin in Spring 2025.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Cat941 said:
WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

FOX Sports and AEG are launching the College Basketball Crown, a 16-team men's postseason tournament, which will begin in Spring 2025.

So this what the NIT was/is fighting against ...... this is becoming a joke.

• Like 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,746
  • Days Won:  3

"... bringing college hoops fans even more compelling storylines during the most exciting time on the college basketball calendar."

And let's be honest. It gives us even more opportunities to gamble, which is what sports is all about anyway. What, exactly is a 'compelling storyline' and what does that have to do with play on the court? Are we trying to be the college rendition of the Pro Bowl (which thankfully is now deceased)? The NCAA tournament works. It's phenomenal. Anything else is also ran (yes, the NIT is also ran). So let's try to copy it in hopes that someone watches, and we can sell commercial airtime. Like so much else in life that's really great, eventually - true - you reach a point where you've had your fill. Don't be the Mister Creasote of sports.

image.jpeg.672b317e8688091d94466128fb1a4281.jpeg

'It's only wafer thin!' 

• Haha 1