• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Teams opting out of NIT . . .

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,398
  • Days Won:  3

addams family burn GIF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Capitalists complaining about capitalism is funny. If you think a first round matchup of Kentucky vs Oklahoma wouldn’t draw more eyeballs and drive more revenue than Kentucky vs Oakland, you are mistaken. Would it be as fun for me personally to watch? Definitely not, but I wouldn’t not watch it and neither would you.

kentucky is a joke of a program

calipari cant coach and his teams are so unprepared

great recruiter and salesman

On 3/18/2024 at 8:39 AM, CousinRicky said:

Exactly. I'm one of the more negative Nellys on this board but, dang, I'm happy with this season. 

a tremendous season

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

On 3/18/2024 at 6:50 PM, Outlaw said:

The second the fans voluntered to pay the players with NIL , it opened the flood gates to get bigger tv contracts for power conferences. The conferences and NCAA realized why share our profits when the fans are dumb enough to pay the players that the NCAA and universities profit off with tv contracts, ticket sales, and merchandise. It was the wolf disguised in sheeps clothing and it killed college football  and college sports as we know it. Now it has gone even further and they are paying high school athletes in some states and some states including Florida want to put in in the state house to vote on. 

i love america

kids should have been paid long ago

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

11 hours ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Capitalists complaining about capitalism is funny. If you think a first round matchup of Kentucky vs Oklahoma wouldn’t draw more eyeballs and drive more revenue than Kentucky vs Oakland, you are mistaken. Would it be as fun for me personally to watch? Definitely not, but I wouldn’t not watch it and neither would you.

The problem is these are supposed to be championship tournaments/playoffs.  So deciding who gets in based on how many viewers will watch and how much money can be made is wrong.  Additionally, these are supposed to be places of education and amateur sports not professional sports franchises.

• Upvote 1

In other news, the athletic director at Saint Bonaventure, one of the schools that opted out of the NIT, resigned abruptly today.

WWW.ESPN.COM

St. Bonaventure athletic director Joe Manhertz resigned abruptly after opting to keep the school's men's basketball program out of the NIT without initially informing its...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  3

On 3/23/2024 at 9:50 PM, olafberserker said:

In other news, the athletic director at Saint Bonaventure, one of the schools that opted out of the NIT, resigned abruptly today.

WWW.ESPN.COM

St. Bonaventure athletic director Joe Manhertz resigned abruptly after opting to keep the school's men's basketball program out of the NIT without initially informing its...

"cited travel logistics, injuries and the uncertainty of players potentially entering the transfer portal as reasons for informing the NIT selection committee Sunday of the school's decision to not be considered. "

So, IIRC every day during the season schools are faced with travel logistics, injuries and the risk of a player moving on. But when it's tournament time, I guess the line of thinking is if we get an invite - but we stand no chance of being very competitive (portal absenteeism) - we should just chill 'bout the dorms. Why resign? C'mon...say it! 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

Just hope we would never go that route. the NIT journey albeit brief was fun, and would always be worthy of playing.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Just hope we would never go that route. the NIT journey albeit brief was fun, and would always be worthy of playing.

For a school that is in one of the bigger conferences and goes to the NCAA tourney on a regular basis, it's probably easier to turn down the NIT because they feel it is beneath them and it's rewarding mediocrity.  With our history, we're just happy to still be playing in March, no matter where it is.  

46 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

31 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

For a school that is in one of the bigger conferences and goes to the NCAA tourney on a regular basis, it's probably easier to turn down the NIT because they feel it is beneath them and it's rewarding mediocrity.  With our history, we're just happy to still be playing in March, no matter where it is.  

Didn't our WBB turn down the WNIT invite?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

15 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Didn't our WBB turn down the WNIT invite?

True. I hadn't really followed the women's team this year and just read it on the board, so it was easier to swallow. The women's team has been so consistent where NCAAT as of late has almost become a norm. And I guess if you are an elite team its easier to refuse a NIT bid

But I think for the two major sports; football and men's basketball you take whatever post season play you can get.

However, if there comes a day where we refuse a NIT bid for men's basketball, it would probably mean that we have gone to multiple NCAAT, and at that point us refusing a NIT bid will become easier to swallow as well.