• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you all think Abdur-Rahim could leave next year?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,340
  • Days Won:  43

9 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Exactly

Can’t really compare that to Kennesaw St as he was there for about 4 years. I will be shocked if CAAR is here for 2 to be honest. That is ok because he already proved that winning can be done at USF regarding men’s hoops. If he goes I wish him the best and he would be the 1st USF mens coach to leave for another opportunity since Seth Greenberg. And Seth Greenberg saw the writing on the wall at USF so he jumped ship before he got fired imo. USF just needs to make sure they have someone to take the reigns and all will be fine. Think of it as how the Gonzaga program was built with many different coaches leaving before Mark Few became that program’s mainstay. Treat it like a business and don’t change what is working like Coach Strong did with the momentum that CWT had going for football before he left.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,460
  • Days Won:  13

8 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Can’t really compare that to Kennesaw St as he was there for about 4 years. I will be shocked if CAAR is here for 2 to be honest. That is ok because he already proved that winning can be done at USF regarding men’s hoops. If he goes I wish him the best and he would be the 1st USF mens coach to leave for another opportunity since Seth Greenberg. And Seth Greenberg saw the writing on the wall at USF so he jumped ship before he got fired imo. USF just needs to make sure they have someone to take the reigns and all will be fine. Think of it as how the Gonzaga program was built with many different coaches leaving before Mark Few became that program’s mainstay. Treat it like a business and don’t change what is working like Coach Strong did with the momentum that CWT had going for football before he left.

the problem is in basketball you lose most of your team after a coaching change, but it is what it is in the minor leagues. If he gets a big time offer he has to take it, you move up when you are the hot name. No guarantee he has those options again. I have always said it is better to have a coach leave for a better job, than having to fire a coach. USF should absolutely make a run at offering an extension with a raise. Kelly should have already made that offer, increase his pay but also increase the buyout. He may or may not take it. Now if we really have a shot at Knox and he signs here, that may be enough to keep Coach around another year.

Regardless of what happens, I enjoyed this season and will hate to see him go, I was 100% wrong on him being a terrible hire.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

If FAU can keep a final four Dusty May then there is no reason we can’t keep a regular season conference champion CAAR. His record at Kennewhatever was impressive enough to have many thinking VPMK once again had us left with the booby prize.

What he has done in one year here is remarkable but mostly to us because we are in it. From the outside if an ad added this single data point to his cv and then tried to bring him into a top job they would immediately make their seat hot.

ADs in established programs are risk adverse people and this would be risk seeking, toss him a decent raise proactively to show success is rewarded but don’t operate like you are seriously worried that one year of winning the aac means your coach is poached for sure.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, flsportsfan83 said:

the problem is in basketball you lose most of your team after a coaching change, but it is what it is in the minor leagues. If he gets a big time offer he has to take it, you move up when you are the hot name. No guarantee he has those options again. I have always said it is better to have a coach leave for a better job, than having to fire a coach. USF should absolutely make a run at offering an extension with a raise. Kelly should have already made that offer, increase his pay but also increase the buyout. He may or may not take it. Now if we really have a shot at Knox and he signs here, that may be enough to keep Coach around another year.

Regardless of what happens, I enjoyed this season and will hate to see him go, I was 100% wrong on him being a terrible hire.  

Exactly. No matter what happens nothing can take away from the fun of this season. USF will be hanging a regular season AAC championship banner so that is pretty cool in itself. I will be a fan of CAAR even after he leaves for the bigger basketball schools. I believe he is a going to be a college hoops coaching legend if he decides to stay with college. CAAR’a family has NBA roots so maybe he goes into the NBA later on in his career. Hopefully MK is able to keep him at USF but if not hopefully CAAR helps  recommend his replacement at USF that will continue that momentum. Kennesaw St fans still love CAAR even after he left so hopefully USF fans will do the same.

• Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,460
  • Days Won:  13

2 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Exactly. No matter what happens nothing can take away from the fun of this season. USF will be hanging a regular season AAC championship banner so that is pretty cool in itself. I will be a fan of CAAR even after he leaves for the bigger basketball schools. I believe he is a going to be a college hoops coaching legend if he decides to stay with college. CAAR’a family has NBA roots so maybe he goes into the NBA later on in his career. Hopefully MK is able to keep him at USF but if not hopefully CAAR helps  recommend his replacement at USF that will continue that momentum. Kennesaw St fans still love CAAR even after he left so hopefully USF fans will do the same.

I appreciate all he has done, I also will be a fan and wish he well. That being said I hope we find a way to keep him at least for 1 more year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Anyone can leave any year 🤔

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  0

Realignment will play a huge role in if he sticks around for years.  He knows more then we know about what is going to happen. If they are certain the ACC (or Big 10) is calling then he will be in line for a big raise (I think it is built into his and Golesh's contracts)  

I guess both CAAR & CAG proved  that you can turn around programs in about one season which to me is amazing in itself. All you have to do is go back to ready all the doom & gloom posts on this message board last February and never believe things would turn around so fast. I don’t blame coaches or players looking out for themselves & family. Coaches & players easily get fired or benched so I’m happy for them to see opportunities come their way. It means they are doing well at USF and I will take that any day over the alternative. 

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

You don't think USF would match any offer, considering we have sucked for so many years? You mean to say that there are not enough boosters in Tampa that would put the money together?

I really don't have any idea. But with people being asked to pony up for NIL and an OCS it is a big ask of the few large donors we have. 

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

IMO CAAR is not going anywhere.  I believe that we would match any offer that could come calling.  If the money is close, no way!  If the YC had been empty throughout this run, yeah I can see him leaving.  He has inserted himself into this community and look at the results.  Back to back sellouts, that is all green.  The community and the students have embraced him.  Of course winning helps.  I just heard in the last interview that they are dialed in to the hometown talent.  They are saying we haven't seen South Florida around here in a while.  We are just getting started.  "This Aint the Same Ol' South Florida!"

This season hasn't been good..

This season hasn't even been great..

This Season is ELITE!!!!!!

• Upvote 1