• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you all think Abdur-Rahim could leave next year?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

Correct.  The scarring to our fans is deep.  

There is no doubt Coach has been great for South Florida but for a more prominent school to look at this season and try to admire the best win over FAU, a team that has been in a downturn since their peak last year doesn’t get it done.

It's not about any particular win. It's about the overall body of work. We've been a program for a long time now and anyone who knows USF basketball would see we haven't had success (besides 2012) in a long time, but really 2012 was also a long time ago. It's about a guy who took a 1 win team at Kennesaw in his 1st season being able to go to the tournament in his 4th. That man came to South Florida to a team with no recent success and he is on the verge of having major success again with another team in just 1 season. When you're a program with money but no recent success like many programs out there, you look for a coach who shows promise/ potential based on his results and who the man is as a person. This is a great man we have leading our program and any program around the country would be so lucky to have him as their head coach. Just because his pre-made schedule this season didn't provide him with the opportunity to beat Duke (yet...tournament?), a very high percentage of coaches out there would not be able to do what he made happen here this season. Coach Gregory was her for enough seasons to prove that he certainly wasn't getting it done. A more prominent school doesn't need to see any one big win to see what kind of coach CAAR is and what he can bring to their program if he had their players, their tradition, their conference, their money, their facilities. He has shown the ability to duplicate his success and that's worth the risk to a flailing program out there who has resources but just needs the right man to utilize those resources.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,023
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, USFBulls12 said:

It's about a guy who took a 1 win team at Kennesaw in his 1st season being able to go to the tournament in his 4th.

That's why I ask how many big name schools did we beat out for him?

1 hour ago, USFBulls12 said:

He has shown the ability to duplicate his success and that's worth the risk to a flailing program out there who has resources but just needs the right man to utilize those resources.

The same was said for Willie.

I just don't think it's enough.  That's my opinion.

As stated previously, He demonstrated a turnaround for KSU, I'm not sure who we stole him from.  For **** sure, more people will know about him and he may be on some short lists come end of season.

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

The same was said for Willie.

I just don't think it's enough.  That's my opinion.

As stated previously, He demonstrated a turnaround for KSU, I'm not sure who we stole him from.  For **** sure, more people will know about him and he may be on some short lists come end of season.

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. 

Willie worked out great for us. He did go the route of seeking the bigger paycheck and chasing his own ambitions. Not everyone is destined to be at the top of the ladder, but some can be. I hope CAAR doesn’t follow the same route for our own selfish goals. However, simply because CWT wasn’t successful doesn’t mean everyone who takes his path of success won’t be. Also, CWT clearly isn’t the kind of guy you bring in and has success in his 1st season which larger programs demand (here we’re also talking football vs basketball programs and the ability for quick turnarounds). He made the same path at WKU and USF, it takes him 3-4 years to get his kind of thing going. I believe he lost his mojo when he landed at FAU, maybe a broken ego. The rest is history, his now enlarged net worth, and his coaching in the NFL. 

Just now, USFBulls12 said:

However, simply because CWT wasn’t successful doesn’t mean everyone who takes his path of success won’t be.

Said no one.  

I don't think it's that simple that other schools see USF's record and toss 7 million at whoever is coaching it.  Perhaps I'm naive.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,541
  • Days Won:  28

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Said no one.  

I don't think it's that simple that other schools see USF's record and toss 7 million at whoever is coaching it.  Perhaps I'm naive.

I feel this is how it's going to be for a while. Any time we have success, a post will pop up asking if a player will transfer out or our coach will be poached. 

We need to calm down, get ahold of ourselves...

• Haha 3

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,541
  • Days Won:  28

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

We need to calm down, get ahold of ourselves...

You are stupid!!! 🤣

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,473
  • Days Won:  13

6 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I feel this is how it's going to be for a while. Any time we have success, a post will pop up asking if a player will transfer out or our coach will be poached. 

until we get out of the AAC, its a very possible 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, Brad said:

I don’t know.  I was thinking about this earlier today. When we offered him from Kennesaw State, did he have any major school looking at him then?  

He comes to USF and plays a weak schedule and has what looks like a turnaround season.   But I’m not sure of that resonating -  that he shows anything that he didn’t already show at Kennesaw State where he rebuilt a program and took them to tourney. 

I also remember his welcome press conference. And as mentioned before, he just doesn’t seem like the guy that’s in it for himself only.  

I see CAAR’s coaching path as being similar to Dan Hurley.  He had success at Wagner, but wasn’t being chased by any big name schools at that point.  Rhode Island (I’m an alum) jumped on him, and led a 5 year rebuild, winning an A-10 title, going to 2 NCAA’s, with wins in each.  UCONN, with their bigger conference and bigger budget swooped in and blew him away with more money, better facilities, and a thirsty for success fan base.  5 years in he wins an NCAA title.  
Over the past few weeks, my wife and I have been talking about these similarities.  Hopefully, USF can pony up some extra cash and perks to keep him around.  I think all love what we’ve seen here this year and want more of it going forward