• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,697
  • Days Won:  7

@BULLSHTR

They do the same for college football, a Top 25. I think it's just an arbitrary number they decided on a long time ago. They had to pick some number to create a system. It helps boost ratings and ticket sales when the hype comes along with having a ranking next to your name. College football doesn't allow 25 teams into their playoff system but they still use it so that's why there's no point in having a Top 68 ranking geared toward the March Madness tournament. There are websites that will "rank" teams based on certain criteria and you can look at every team's "rank". But there are multiple forms of the Top 25 rankings in college sports.

image.png.8c7d605b58d8badb8c384a282161ce64.png

WWW.NCAA.COM

Get NCAA college basketball rankings from the NET Rankings, Associated Press and USA Today Coaches poll.

Use the drop down box on the top left of the page.

Edited by USFBulls12
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

12 minutes ago, BULLSHTR said:

I hear ya. I guess my question is becoming "Why do they only rank the top 25 in MBB, if the NCAA tournament has 64 teams?" If the answer is because the rankings don't matter, then why do them at all? Honestly asking, i've never followed college hoops.

They're just polls of the top 25 teams.  There are rankings out there for all MBB  teams

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  767
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, BULLSHTR said:

I hear ya. I guess my question is becoming "Why do they only rank the top 25 in MBB, if the NCAA tournament has 64 teams?" If the answer is because the rankings don't matter, then why do them at all? Honestly asking, i've never followed college hoops.

I am a believer that rankings should not come out until the end of November. In football, I would vote for after the first month as well. If there is a ranked team in the top 10 but is really no better than top 50, it makes it difficult for that team that is ranked 75th but is truly a top 25 team to crack the rankings. 

After a few weeks, that 75th ranked team may be 8-0, while the 10th ranked team may be 5-3 or 4-4. So, the wrongly ranked team spent several weeks in the top 25 before they eventually drop out. With this system, you have actual metrics that can lead to better rankings.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

Would rather get some conference hardware. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,852
  • Days Won:  67

14 minutes ago, hm101 said:

Would rather get some conference hardware. 

Not sure what that is but would be nice 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,533
  • Days Won:  422

24 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I am a believer that rankings should not come out until the end of November. In football, I would vote for after the first month as well. If there is a ranked team in the top 10 but is really no better than top 50, it makes it difficult for that team that is ranked 75th but is truly a top 25 team to crack the rankings. 

After a few weeks, that 75th ranked team may be 8-0, while the 10th ranked team may be 5-3 or 4-4. So, the wrongly ranked team spent several weeks in the top 25 before they eventually drop out. With this system, you have actual metrics that can lead to better rankings.

None of those rankings really matter. The rankings that matter, for playoff purposes, come after the 9th week for football and after the season for basketball ....

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

Rankingas …. Don’t mean shat. Get to the tournament. GO BULLS.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

We shouldn't be ranked regardless of record because we're in the AAC. Until we leave this abomination of a conference nothing we do matters. 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,533
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, DontPushMe said:

We shouldn't be ranked regardless of record because we're in the AAC.

Memphis and FAU's reaction to this opinion .....

image.gif.65f19b02efff7d8ba957a530ca7c81a8.gif

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I think it is adorable that some of you think we should be ranked. Tell me you didn't follow college basketball before this season without telling me you didn't follow college basketball before this season. 

• Upvote 1