• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

7 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

With as few new defensive players as we brought in for 2023, can we afford to lose any at this point? And according to the recruiting sites, EVERY player committed thus far for 2024 is on offense - a QB, RB, OL and two WRs. Starting to wonder if we realize what's on the other side of the ball . . .  

Shortly after Golesh was hired he mentioned he watched tape on the team and had figured out what the problem was and had an exact plan in his interview with Kelly on how to fix that and turn things around.

So given these two facts:

• Our defense was atrocious no matter how you slice it. Anyone with eyes could tell you that was the big problem for this team.
  • He didn't bring in that many defensive recruits

I think the problem on that side of the ball may have been as simple as struggling to get plays in on time and the defense being out of position at the time of the snap, rather than the personnel being worthless. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  6

This is unfortunate.  I was really hoping that Kelly's play would take off under the coaching of Kevin Patrick.  Oh well, welcome to college football in 2023.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,494
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, michibull said:

Agreed. I like the old rule that if there is a coaching change, players can transfer, free and clear. This whole jump ship whenever is not teaching these young people responsibility and accountability for life choices; and how to work through adversity and perseverance. I get it if they are not getting a fair shake, but this transfer portal thing is out of control. 

But wasn't there a coaching change?  He just hung around longer than the ones who transferred out immediately.  Kind of odd timing.  Maybe they released some kind of internal depth chart and reality sunk in.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, michibull said:

Agreed. I like the old rule that if there is a coaching change, players can transfer, free and clear. This whole jump ship whenever is not teaching these young people responsibility and accountability for life choices; and how to work through adversity and perseverance. I get it if they are not getting a fair shake, but this transfer portal thing is out of control. 

If coaches are free to leave at any time for any reason with zero consideration of the players they leave behind and schools are able to not offer their scholarships any longer at any time and for any reason I really do not see how anyone can think that the players are the only ones with any expectation of commitment. Perhaps what this contract is lacking are buyouts from both sides and a full four year commitment. If a school wants to buyout the scholarship prior to four years sure no problem it costs x and if a player chooses to leave for another team sure no problem but it is going to cost y (allow the school that wants to pick up the player to pay the buyout just like in coaching). 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If coaches are free to leave at any time for any reason with zero consideration of the players they leave behind and schools are able to not offer their scholarships any longer at any time and for any reason I really do not see how anyone can think that the players are the only ones with any expectation of commitment. Perhaps what this contract is lacking are buyouts from both sides and a full four year commitment. If a school wants to buyout the scholarship prior to four years sure no problem it costs x and if a player chooses to leave for another team sure no problem but it is going to cost y (allow the school that wants to pick up the player to pay the buyout just like in coaching). 

Strangely, I’m not opposed to that. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

15 minutes ago, michibull said:

Strangely, I’m not opposed to that. 

It is just one way to make things equitable, the previous method was grossly inequitable which is how we landed here (as it was the simplest and easiest solution, we guarantee you nothing and now you owe us nothing). If schools want to require greater commitment they need to be offering greater commitment and then every contract that does not like litigation should have expressed outs for early termination of the agreement (whatever they maybe). The issue with the current arrangement is a team that is a landing spot gets more information for no additional cost over the new HS recruits, the only way to even out that balance is to create some disincentive for taking a player that is already in a program (if they do not want to handle this from the contract perspective of the players it can just be from the scholarship number limit, HS recruits are 1 scholarship and portal players are 1x). No matter what the answer is not to require expectations from players that are found in no other parts of the sport.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

There is another transfer portal window coming up in May.  There should be lots of DT's in there, so relax a little. 

If he is not replaced with another transfer, then start worrying.  I like what CAG has done so far and believe he knows what he is doing.  More so than CJS.  

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,132
  • Days Won:  56

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

Shortly after Golesh was hired he mentioned he watched tape on the team and had figured out what the problem was and had an exact plan in his interview with Kelly on how to fix that and turn things around.

So given these two facts:

• Our defense was atrocious no matter how you slice it. Anyone with eyes could tell you that was the big problem for this team.
  • He didn't bring in that many defensive recruits

I think the problem on that side of the ball may have been as simple as struggling to get plays in on time and the defense being out of position at the time of the snap, rather than the personnel being worthless. 

Sorry, but I can't put a lot of faith in the idea that a guy who's coached nothing but offense throughout his career watched tape of us and magically has all the answers to our defensive woes. I have a hard time buying that the Jimmys and Joes were all good and the only issue was the Xs and Os. I guess we'll find out, because right now we won't look a whole lot different, personnel-wise, from a year ago, with a few exceptions from the portal. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,520
  • Days Won:  25

Sucks for usf. I am sure he is transferring  for more NIL money. Didnt he chose usf because it was close to his mom and she nas health issues. Whayever the reason another one bites the dust.

Bye Felicia 

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

31 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Sorry, but I can't put a lot of faith in the idea that a guy who's coached nothing but offense throughout his career watched tape of us and magically has all the answers to our defensive woes. I have a hard time buying that the Jimmys and Joes were all good and the only issue was the Xs and Os. I guess we'll find out, because right now we won't look a whole lot different, personnel-wise, from a year ago, with a few exceptions from the portal. 

In 2019 we had the 75th ranked defense, then immediately with most of the same Jimmy and Joes we became one of the absolute worst on that side of the ball under Jeff Scott for 3 straight years. 

Sure Golesh has coached nothing but offense, but that means he's still watching film on defenses trying to find weaknesses to exploit all the time. Its not out of the question he watched film on us and was able to find some major issues in terms of philosophy, X's and O's, etc.

• Upvote 1