• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS a difference maker?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,695
  • Days Won:  108

25 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

They are getting free money from the government anyways so it only makes sense to divert some of this helicopter cash over to the OCS.  

Actually my daughter got no help while at USF.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  187
  • Days Won:  0

the stadium might help a little bit

but our capacity might need to be reduced to like 20k because no one wants to watch our team go 1-22 against FBS opponents in 3 seasons 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,881
  • Days Won:  67

40 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Actually my daughter got no help while at USF.

Mine haven’t either while in school, but daddy can more than afford to cover a nominal increase in athletic fees for some more infrastructure on campus.   Heck we had to dole out 300 to 400 bucks for an athletics pass as well.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,452
  • Days Won:  19

Losing looks and feels so much better when you're doing it in a shiny new facility.

Make Up Tutorial Social Media GIF by Peppa Pig

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

18 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Let's stay with the status quo and keep the low engagement as the money dries up.  🤔

No one is saying to stay status quo, but if these people use up all of the resources on something that doesn’t radically shift the status quo the option of what is the best impactful use of funds by someone that knows what they are doing will not be available. I’m willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that they aren’t going to say this is what they would pick to make an impact and so it will be how do we now get people to come off their wallets again to then keep chasing the last thing anyone did that we think we could maybe copy. We are closer to a startup than we are established and the one good thing about that is you should be able to pivot faster and be on the cusp of new ideas.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I am sure you have addressed this but let's be sure everyone knows that (at least currently) the school cannot direct dollars to NIL.  Donors can donate directly to NIL or pay a player directly for an action, but all that money paid to the school for tickets, student fees, etc. cannot be used for NIL. 

15 minutes ago, Brad said:

I am sure you have addressed this but let's be sure everyone knows that (at least currently) the school cannot direct dollars to NIL.  Donors can donate directly to NIL or pay a player directly for an action, but all that money paid to the school for tickets, student fees, etc. cannot be used for NIL. 

Yes but it can say it is not longer actively taking donations for certain funds, someone would then say well what should I do with my funds, response idk google it.  Jim had suggested how to hug the line but I wouldn’t recommend doing that, you either stay away from lines or straight up ignore them but  if you stratte the line you get the maximum amount of risk for the least amount of payoff. 

On 10/6/2022 at 12:16 PM, puc86 said:

This is the only issue with it but since no one ever wanted to talk about it any time I brought it up I never had to defend it. If the school was able to directly divert all of the funds it would be a no brainer, that it would be ad hoc and people have their minds set on dated ideas is why we can’t make it work. But we should if we want to be successful anytime soon.

On 10/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, Jim Johnson said:

Since this would be school donors ... the school couldn't divert the funds itself, it would have to partner with an NIL-enabled entity in some way (and any business could be an NIL-enabled entity).  Then the school would have to say "don't give us money, give it to _______" which gets right up to the line in Florida law, but I don't think crosses over it since it's not player specific.

The other piece would be harder, since coaches can't publicly talk about specific recruits, there would have to be some kind of "we could really use a _____" where the blank is either a position or a description of a type of athlete.  "We could use a defender who can play LB or nickel" is permitted.

Pretty wild assumption Vinik would want to donate $5 million to USF and USF would say, "walk that over to the Golden Brahman NIL, or INFLCR or TBP, they'll take care of you".  I think USF would say thank you and use it within the department for other needs.  I think what this really does is just rip apart smaller programs. 

Just now, Brad said:

Pretty wild assumption Vinik would want to donate $5 million to USF and USF would say, "walk that over to the Golden Brahman NIL, or INFLCR or TBP, they'll take care of you".  I think USF would say thank you and use it within the department for other needs.  I think what this really does is just rip apart smaller programs. 

Perhaps, But I think it is an inflection point that allows you to change your curve from downward to upward overnight if you recognize it quick enough to be an earlier adaptor. Chasing is never a position of strength and following the well trodden path only has us behind the people we follow and traveling at a much slower pace. Will some people not follow? Absolutely but the loss of funds that will be squandered isn’t really much of a loss when you compare it to now spending money on something that is actually impactful (even if it is less). Sell the collective gousfbulls.com, sell them the phone numbers, let them buy ad space anywhere that they can legally do so, sell people a vision for a better brighter future while helping young kids advance and  I think that’s a much easier sell than “hey you know how I said I needed millions for this well actually that didn’t work but I did give myself an extension for bilking you out of your last “donation” so how about give a little more as I convince you of the sunken cost fallacy?”.

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Perhaps, But I think it is an inflection point that allows you to change your curve from downward to upward overnight if you recognize it quick enough to be an earlier adaptor.

Of course and you may have that benefit, if you are lucky, a couple of nights before the tables are turned.

Chasing is never a position of strength and following the well trodden path only has us behind the people we follow and traveling at a much slower pace.

Not suggesting doing the same thing over and over or following other paths.  Maybe we end all athletic scholarships and divert to NIL?

sell people a vision for a better brighter future

That's the goal.  There is likely more than one way (and one that is illegal at this time) to do that. 

BTW, I love the thinking "outside the box". 

As stated in another thread, the closer we get to paying players, the closer I get to taking my money elsewhere.  I'm not interested in that.  So there are likely other impacts to consider at all.  The open transfer portal is a disaster too.

To me, this is a call to the adults in the room that the NCAA needs to be repaired.